Has Neowin hit a all time low? If so, one day boycott

Why shouldn't the author of that article leave?

http://www.neowin.ne...tion=boardrules :

No Personal Attacks or Retaliation

Personal attacks such as instigating "flame bait", verbal abuse, mocking or sexist remarks of members in posts are not tolerated at Neowin. Such posts will be deleted on sight or moderated accordingly.

As above, if you are a long standing member, act like one. Lead by example and assist other newer members rather than attacking them. Members that reply to posts simply to instigate argument will be warned / suspended from forum areas.

Is he a long standing member?

Is he a long standing member?

Doesn't matter how long a staff member has been here. They should be held to a higher standard because they are staff and are supposed to behave better and lead by example.

To be fair, it's given Neowin a lot of ad revenue it wouldn't have had if it tried to post something intelligent on the front page.

It's actually a good thing for the site. The more people fruitlessly arguing in comments and on the forums, the more extravagant Neowindex can be.

Look at this thread for example. On the sixth page in a few hours. You don't see that in a sensible thread anymore, and will mean kingsize beds for the summer meet rather than the standard doubles.

• Like 2

Doesn't matter how long a staff member has been here. They should be held to a higher standard because they are staff and are supposed to behave better and lead by example.

Front page articles are exempt from the community rules. (Y)

I see some sense in that, but the way Neowin's FPN looks, it's directly working against those rules at times.

All in the name of revenue and clicks. If that's how you want to roll, well then...

It will work out for them, but the quality of their member base will decrease. If Neowin's staff is fine with that, then sure, go ahead guys.

Glassed Silver:mac

• Like 1

To be fair, it's given Neowin a lot of ad revenue it wouldn't have had if it tried to post something intelligent on the front page.

It's actually a good thing for the site. The more people fruitlessly arguing in comments and on the forums, the more extravagant Neowindex can be.

Look at this thread for example. On the sixth page in a few hours. You don't see that in a sensible thread anymore, and will mean kingsize beds for the summer meet rather than the standard doubles.

O.o wat

Wow, just wow. Not trying to be a dick here, but you have got to be kidding me right?

Hey Larry! Long time no see!

Now... And I am going to be a dick here.

Someone posted a silly internet poll. Someone else is deeply offended. A "one-day" boycott? Are you serious? If you are terribly upset, just walk away for good. Just be careful out there, as there are other seriously offensive stuff such as this poll all over!

This thread was worth coming back for. Some things don't change. There are still a bunch of good people here on Neowin, and a few people who like to whine and promote slacktivism. If you look for the good, you see it. And if you look for things to bother you, you will see that, too.

• Like 3

I was replying and asking pes.

Well that's also true; Neowin has always been lately about the money: That unknown Stardock company and the 99% useless TechSpot articles.

Someone posted a silly internet poll.

Its not the poll. Its the image that Neowin gives about itself and its members. It makes you (yes, you) look like a Microsoft lover to a guest that views the site for the first time.

There is a reason certain subforums of Neowin are hidden to guests.

Front page articles are exempt from the community rules. (Y)

I find that to be a big part of the problem to be honest. If news posts had to follow the same rules with regard to flamebait and trolling, the news would be better quality and some of the writers would be out of a job.

• Like 1

Well that's also true; Neowin has always been lately about the money: That unknown Stardock company and the 99% useless TechSpot articles.

Its not the poll. Its the image that Neowin gives about itself and its members. It makes you (yes, you) look like a Microsoft lover to a guest that views the site for the first time.

LOL.... oh no, someone will think of me in a certain way because of a FPN post I had nothing to do with.

• Like 1

**** sake just ignore it, not everything on this website is written to please YOU!

Some people like a good Apple debate, others don't, you can't please everyone, just bypass the post.

• Like 2

[...]

Keep it easy, rider.

Of course they need money to operate the site, that's entirely honorable.

However, they are exaggerating in my humble opinion. (not necessarily with today's weekend poll to be honest though... It might lack sensitivity, but it's not all that bad)

Stardock unknown? What?

Also, they don't drive any agenda on here.

The Techspot articles are rather okay most of the time to be honest.

[...]

Nah, I'd blame the reader if he applied prejudices and thought of every member as a pro-Microsoft troll on Neowin just due to the front page articles.

Don't fight prejudices by giving in to simplemindedness - the root cause of prejudices.

Glassed Silver:mac

Is this going to be a set date or people just random stop for a day? BTW i think you have hit the spot. There wasn't any need for the vote!

True, more or less every post is Apple V MS you never see Linux V ?

Maybe not comparing directly as that would end up with a lot of silly arguments. Find a interesting small project, then tell the world about it - give it some exposure. Feedback would go directly back to the project whereas this Apple stuff never goes anywhere as these companies are massive machines. Even Neowin themselves hosted a few small projects that was reported on like Shift and Autopatcher which were popular and gave a nice balance to the site. This apple stuff is recycled news from every major news outlet and even these forums which just invite argumentative comments - IMO, kind of boring and nothing unique. When Tom W was around, he was able to get a good number of Microsoft exclusives, since he has been gone its mainly been recycled stuff from other sites.

tl;dr - write some unique informative articles that re-balances the site and makes everyone happy?

tl;dr - write some unique informative articles that re-balances the site and makes everyone happy?

I don't expect to ever see that again, given that there are staff members who make trollpolls and then make wise ass and insulting status updates about the community in regards to said polls or staff members who love to write opinion pieces but then don't think they have to add the Editorial tag/flag like the other writers.

• Like 1

WOW...just WOW some of you people whine and bitch about the stupidest crap! If you don't like what you see ignore it and move on. I've been on neowin for almost 11 years and seen my fair share of crap front page articles, yeah this one was stupid say the least and seems like it was taken down now. But like come on grow up and stop your bitching just send a PM to a mod or who ever instead of making these stupid threads complaining about it.

I have been wanting to speak my mind about Neowin for sometime now.. I actually did and the mods deleted it.. It wasn't anything ugly or too profound.. Neowin has been going downhill for the past two years and getting worst. Let me clarify.. the Community of neowin.. Neowin as a site, I love it.. I think the Apple poll was pretty ****ed up and uncalled for.. but whatever.. My problem is with a lot of the members that have joined this community.. I love healthy debates.. I have learned a lot from them and changed some of my views.. but, I hate posting my option about something and someone doesn't even read it, and flames me. Happens a lot.. Everyone wants to say your wrong and an idiot because you don't share the same views as them with no reason why.. The mods let this happen way too much. I am a subscriber because I want to support this place, but if it keeps going the way it is.. I might not want to renew it..

• Like 3

This thread has run its course. If you have issues with anything posted on Neowin, you have the right to report it, or contact a mod, supervisor, or administrator for resolution.

Thread closed