Polytron Unveils World's First Fully Transparent Smartphone

The only visible components are the board, chips, memory card and camera.

ts,Z-R-370647-13.jpg

Taiwanese firm Polytron Technologies has revealed the world's first fully transparent smartphone prototype. As you can see in the pictures above and below, the prototype device is almost fully transparent. The only components visible on the device are the board, chips memory card and camera.

The rest of the device is a piece of glass that sports a small touchscreen (also transparent) located in the center of the device. According to Polytron, its technology may be available by the end of 2013.

South Korean technology giant Samsung, meanwhile, revealed Youm at CES 2013, a flexible and bendable OLED display manufactured for smartphones.

ts,Z-Q-370646-13.jpg

Source

anyone else think somethign seems off about those pictures? they say only visible things are the chips and sd cars.... all I see is an ultra small PCB at the bottom which wouldn't even hold the smallest SoC designs right now... something just doesn't seem right

The only visible components are the board, chips, memory card and camera.

Then it isn't fully transparent as the title states.

Was it just me who went dry at the mouth because your mouth was open throughout the entire recording. This is amazing, I want ne now...

Dam and I just bought a new Samsung Galaxy Note 2 :(

Where is the radio transmitter or logic board or anything? If anything this has 2 screen and 2 cameras on both sides and is simulating transparency like digital-camo, otherwise this is a hoax or just a joke image. Look closly at the image below.zoom in, it looks like 2 pieces of plexiglass glued to gether, even the "1" in the center is glued onto the glass, look at the top left/right corners. There is no interface for the SDCard, no control/logic boards.

I could have made this with crap laying in my garage and a broken smart phone.... I can't believe how many outlets ran this story..

news_pic_1359446508365.jpg

Where is the radio transmitter or logic board or anything? If anything this has 2 screen and 2 cameras on both sides and is simulating transparency like digital-camo, otherwise this is a hoax or just a joke image. Look closly at the image below.zoom in, it looks like 2 pieces of plexiglass glued to gether, even the "1" in the center is glued onto the glass, look at the top left/right corners. There is no interface for the SDCard, no control/logic boards.

I could have made this with crap laying in my garage and a broken smart phone.... I can't believe how many outlets ran this story..

news_pic_1359446508365.jpg

The fact that the 'prototype' is so obviously hacked together makes me think its more than a fake report

For transparent connections between components I was thinking fibre optics maybe, but there would still need to be some sort of mechanism to catch and release the MicroSD

Plus it looks like soldered ends to the MicroUSB port too

I can't see it being a working prototype, possibly a mock up of what they imagine it to look like

I can't see it being a working prototype, possibly a mock up of what they imagine it to look like

If the word mock-up was used, it would be all good, but prototype changes things. Honestly though the real issue here is, why.. I can't think of any good practical application where this would benefit anyone, all it would do is create problems we didn't have before as others have touched on above.

If the word mock-up was used, it would be all good, but prototype changes things. Honestly though the real issue here is, why.. I can't think of any good practical application where this would benefit anyone, all it would do is create problems we didn't have before as others have touched on above.

It would be clearer, agreed, but there are non-working prototypes and working prototypes

The main company I can see this appealing to, would be Apple, they really work hard on perfection in terms of looks, lots of glass and shine

If they could work out how to build an iPhone with this transparent design, and make it look good, then.... yea I can imagine them going for it

Wasn't there some mockup for a fully glass designed iPhone released a good while back, by someone other than Apple ?

Wasn't there some mockup for a fully glass designed iPhone released a good while back, by someone other than Apple ?

http://www.concept-phones.com/nokia/transparent-nokia-phone-features-touchscreen-great/

http://www.zdnet.com/photos-nokia-shows-off-flexible-phones-1339286304/#photo

are those the ones you was thinking of?

Looks fake to me. Like others have mentioned... no battery, so that'd have to connect somehow, plus the ports would have to connect somehow, plus where's the internal antenna? There'd have to be some wiring in there.