Playstation Meeting trailer: See the Future. Feb. 20th

It'll be at 6pm eastern as said above. I think IGN said they'll be streaming it and i would expect most other major gaming sites to be doing so as well.

• Like 2

I really really hope that Sony announces full compatibility with Android OS. Meaning, they could allow Google Play store and owners of PS4 will be able to run Android apps on the PS4. Even if they don't allow Google Play store, they could really make a store similar to Amazon and have everyone publish for PS4 immediately through their system. The code would be the same for Google Play and this hypothetical Sony Playstation Android playground and the only difference would be that we developers could push out our existing Android apps and games directly to Sony's market without really touching core code.

This would be a kiss of death for Microsoft since Sony would absolutely kill it. Instead of trying to push Indie games themselves they could literally get a library of insane amount of games and apps overnight and would allow anyone who writes apps for Android ( :D ) to publish cool apps directly to PS4 through this Android support.

Not to mention that this would allow them to immediately get support for Android tablets and phones to interact with their Playstation network. Something that Microsoft really still has to build up with their Windows Phone, Surface + XBox Live approach.

My guess is that they could even introduce additional SDK modules for Android development that tie in directly into Playstation Network API and PS4 hardware and capabilities. This would be SICK.

I really really hope they do it. That would make me get PS4 on day 1 no matter what it costs. It would be an unbelievable entertainment machine as it has been so far, an amazing Android machine for indie developers and a kick ass hardcore gamer's machine.

Since Microsoft would never do this as it would go completely against their own Windows 8/Windows Phone apps model, Sony could one up them in a major way.

I get that the Ouya is supposed to be a low end gaming option encouraging more Android game development, but if Sony could actually LEAD the way in terms of this on the high-end spectrum, it would be quite amazing. As it stands, people can hate on Apple all they want, but right now, gaming sucks on Android compared to iOS. I used to play on my iPod all the time, and with my GSII now, I've had more of a hard time finding games I actually want to play. I'd love for an Android push!

I wouldn't say it'd be the kiss of death to Microsoft, but it'd light the fire under their ass to get themselves in gear. I'm not too pleased with Microsoft lately, but I hope vicious competition brings something good from them just the same.

Can't wait to see what we find out tomorrow! :D

ZAQVsCU.gif

I really hope Sony gets right to business with the PS4 reveal. It'd be so boring if they start off talking about the history of the PlayStation brand or any non-PS4 console (e.g. PS3). I also hope they surprise us at the end and leave us begging for more.

They won't, like most events they will talk about how great their brand is and how PS3 is doing well, it'll probably be at least 30 mins of old stuff before they start to talk about the future, the even is rumoured to be 1h 30 mins.

They won't, like most events they will talk about how great their brand is and how PS3 is doing well, it'll probably be at least 30 mins of old stuff before they start to talk about the future, the even is rumoured to be 1h 30 mins.

Great. I bet a huge chunk of that hour and thirty minutes will be filler. Well, if they don't show anything awesome then it probably means they're saving it for E3 2013. It would be great if they showed a tech demo to demonstrate the capabilities of the PS4.

Yeah it's annoying but not unexpected, they will probably want to let people/shareholders know that the PS3 still has some life left before they reveal the Orbis.

I get that the Ouya is supposed to be a low end gaming option encouraging more Android game development, but if Sony could actually LEAD the way in terms of this on the high-end spectrum, it would be quite amazing. As it stands, people can hate on Apple all they want, but right now, gaming sucks on Android compared to iOS. I used to play on my iPod all the time, and with my GSII now, I've had more of a hard time finding games I actually want to play. I'd love for an Android push!

I wouldn't say it'd be the kiss of death to Microsoft, but it'd light the fire under their ass to get themselves in gear. I'm not too pleased with Microsoft lately, but I hope vicious competition brings something good from them just the same.

ZAQVsCU.gif

Rumors are already that the next xbox will run either win8/windows RT apps or similar and be able to run them parallel with games(ie pause/tombstone the game as you multitask between the game and apps). In which case MS will still have the upper hand as RT apps are at the very least designed to work on devices like these, while android apps are generally phone apps.

I think chances are that if Sony is doing something similar, they will stear clear of android apps and aim for a solution of their own. for two reasons, one, android apps don't fit to well on the big screen and secondly. in order to legally run android apps on the platform they would have to actually run android as the OS. and the chances of that is about non existent, if they d it's already crippled as a gaming platform so. Look at the chinese who tried to run dalvik apps without running actual android. and while there are legal ways to do it, they still wouldn't have access to the android app store so.... that would make it fairly pointless again, and you'd be back to "better off with their own console optimized app platform". That way they can also make sure app design is uniform and fits with the Playstation experience. like the "metro" apps on the nextbox will fit with the metro experience/UI on that.

~snip~

But the ps3 sort of already does, isn't the ps3 OS linux based? Therefore if they go down that route again, and Android also being based on linux all they'd really need is to make sure that there's enough compatibility?

I think chances are that if Sony is doing something similar, they will stear clear of android apps and aim for a solution of their own.

Agreed, they do it on the Vita, PS4 will probably have proper multitasking.

But the ps3 sort of already does, isn't the ps3 OS linux based? Therefore if they go down that route again, and Android also being based on linux all they'd really need is to make sure that there's enough compatibility?

Linux based doesn't mean it has ANYTHING to do with Android. as android fans like to say, Android isn't linux, meanwhile the linux people will point out that android is linu when they want to inflate linux usage numbers.

Linux based doesn't mean it has ANYTHING to do with Android. as android fans like to say, Android isn't linux, meanwhile the linux people will point out that android is linu when they want to inflate linux usage numbers.

I was just going by what I've read, somewhere here it was mentioned that Android was Linux based, I had no reason not to believe it

ZAQVsCU.gif

This gif is f*****g hilarious.
  • Like 2

Developers from Ubisoft Montreal, Sony Santa Monica Studios, Bungie and Quantic Dream are amassing in New York City in time for today's PlayStation 2013 Meeting, scheduled to begin at 6 p.m. EST.

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/20/4008362/watch-dogs-god-of-war-halo-and-beyond-developers-amassing-in-nyc-in

Just a thought, imagine all this hype for the PS4... and Sony announces something else entirely? lol. But yeah, I won't be able the catch the unveiling tonight, hope I can re-watch the stream somehow tomorrow.

Is this confirmed to be a PS4 reveal? I have a hard time believing sony announcing it this early if they are not shipping by holidays. :/

I really really hope that Sony announces full compatibility with Android OS. Meaning, they could allow Google Play store and owners of PS4 will be able to run Android apps on the PS4. Even if they don't allow Google Play store, they could really make a store similar to Amazon and have everyone publish for PS4 immediately through their system. The code would be the same for Google Play and this hypothetical Sony Playstation Android playground and the only difference would be that we developers could push out our existing Android apps and games directly to Sony's market without really touching core code.

This would be a kiss of death for Microsoft since Sony would absolutely kill it. Instead of trying to push Indie games themselves they could literally get a library of insane amount of games and apps overnight and would allow anyone who writes apps for Android ( :D ) to publish cool apps directly to PS4 through this Android support.

Not to mention that this would allow them to immediately get support for Android tablets and phones to interact with their Playstation network. Something that Microsoft really still has to build up with their Windows Phone, Surface + XBox Live approach.

My guess is that they could even introduce additional SDK modules for Android development that tie in directly into Playstation Network API and PS4 hardware and capabilities. This would be SICK.

I really really hope they do it. That would make me get PS4 on day 1 no matter what it costs. It would be an unbelievable entertainment machine as it has been so far, an amazing Android machine for indie developers and a kick ass hardcore gamer's machine.

Since Microsoft would never do this as it would go completely against their own Windows 8/Windows Phone apps model, Sony could one up them in a major way.

Your Microsoft hate is getting disturbing by the day...and no, there is no way sony will open PSN to everyone without any sort of certification, not with their recent troubles on the security front. If PS4 gets hacked, it will be a kiss of death to Playstation first than anyone else.

Obligatory car analogy, my car has Michelin tires therefore it must be an easy way for it run in a rally (or Nascar etc.)

Just a thought, imagine all this hype for the PS4... and Sony announces something else entirely? lol. But yeah, I won't be able the catch the unveiling tonight, hope I can re-watch the stream somehow tomorrow.

+1 I am interested if they but I am not really sure if they will actually show it.

As it is right now, both next gen consoles are pretty much guaranteed a 2013 release, with more and more suggesting early fall release as opposed to holiday release.

I was just going by what I've read, somewhere here it was mentioned that Android was Linux based, I had no reason not to believe it

it'd be more accurate to say Android is Unix based, which is also true for Linux and OSX

but android itself isn't particularly based off anything Linux

They're giving away $10 credit on PSN

IMG_0004.JPG

Some people are claiming this is a hack attempt, and recommend not using it until sony announce something officially regarding this