Playstation Meeting trailer: See the Future. Feb. 20th

Interesting, as I thought they had gone on record saying they were going to let MS make the first move on the next generation of consoles.

Would be nice if it ends up being the ps4. Would like to know how much of the recent reports are true about the hardware.

PS4 huh? Have developers even used all of the PS3's potential yet?

Does sub-720p and frequently unstable framerates make you think either platform has lots of 'unused potential" left?

PS4 huh? Have developers even used all of the PS3's potential yet?

Yeah, pretty much. I'd think Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, and Santa Monica have done all they can with it.

Interesting, as I thought they had gone on record saying they were going to let MS make the first move on the next generation of consoles.

Rumor is that they may have. See also: GTA V delay.

Just Kaz trolling it seems.

The amount of headlines they got saying "We'll let MS go first", to then announce this out of nowhere, not a bad marketing plan I guess.

The event will be livestreamed as well.

I can imagine that the possible PS4 will be able to play PS3 games. Lol.

I expect 0 backward compatibility with PS3 games. They'd have to emulate since the CPU is completely different. Maybe the PS4 is powerful enough to emulate, but judging by the amount of PS2 to PS3 emulations we got...don't get your hopes up.

Keep the price of the PS4 at around $399 launch and those who absolutely need to buy a PS3 to play PS3 games can pick one up for $99 later down the road. This would be MUCH preferred over paying $600 launch which includes what was basically a PS2 shoved inside a PS3. Could have just removed the PS2 part and lowered the price of the PS3 a bit.

*sigh* how am I gonna explain this one to my fianc?...

Let the overhyping and underperforming begin!!

With the specs of PS4 I think its going to be Nextbox that's going to underpeform.

Rumours are that Sony are pushing for 8Gb of ram like Nextbox, if they do its game over.

With the specs of PS4 I think its going to be Nextbox that's going to underpeform.

Rumours are that Sony are pushing for 8Gb of ram like Nextbox, if they do its game over.

They've got 8GB in the devkit, but more likely 4GB (of different, yet faster RAM) in the PS4. Otherwise, you jump the cost of the machine, which I don't think Sony can afford to do.

I know it's 4Gb, but the rumours are that after the Durango 8Gb leak Sony are going to push for 8Gb of ram. It could be a split 4Gb GDDR5 and 4Gb of DDR3.

Why would that be game over ?

• Like 1

Not getting into some ridiculous argument with you.

It's my personal opinion that Microsoft are making a mistake by aiming the Xbox as a media hub rather than a purebred gaming machine, there are a massive number of devices that aren't as locked down as the Xbox will be with regards to format support and features.

Both consoles have similar specs, Orbis has the same CPU but more powerful GPU, extra APUs, faster memory, etc.. they don't charge for online, free games via PS+, they don't lock down features that are free on other consoles behind a pay wall.

Durango with weaker specs more aimed as a media centre than a pure games machine is a mistake. I'm not looking for a discussion, that's all I have to say on the matter.

Then maybe you should slap an "IMHO" after that, instead of stating it as a clear fact, despite the fact that history has showed that you opinion/statement on this is wrong. people don't look at specs when buying, and what the xbox offers as far as a hub goes, in rental (at the highest quality(highest bit rate) around, music and Xbox glass and the rest, it puts it at an advantage without having to compete on pure hardware.

in any case, if Sony plans to release this year, it's to late to add more memory. that means a hardware change, a hardware change requires months of testing, then verification, then QnA, then factories need to be retooled, and their production needs to be retested, and it goes on and on, even with a small change like that, they'd be lucky to be ready for production by the end of the year. and even so if they do announce increased RAM, MS could announce faster ram and faster GPU the next day. for all practical purposes the changes required amount to the same time in testing and retooling.

besides that after the PS3 I doubt they could afford it. especially since if the trend keeps up. sales of the next gen will be even slower than it was last time. The PS3 will never sell as much as the PS2 did, and the PS4 will most likely never sell as much as the PS3 will.

the only way to turn this trend, is to offer more than a gaming machine. and just slapping a movie rental service on top, isn't going to do it.

• Like 2

Nikkei: PS4 to utilize Gaikai, have expanded social features

According to the Japanese outlet, the network function of PlayStation 4 will be expanded, including a new social feature where you can exchange opinions among your friends while playing games.

The system is said to utilize Gaikai cloud technology, which Sony purchased for $380 million in the summer of last year.

Echoing previous reports, the outlet claims the Sony developed ?Cell? chip loaded onto the PlayStation 3 will not be included in PlayStation 4, and that it?ll arrive by the holidays.

PlayStation 4 is expected to be revealed during PlayStation Meeting 2013 in New York City on February 20. Its controller will supposedly have a touch pad.

Source: http://gematsu.com/2...social-features

ugh... they should learn from Apple/itunes and everyone else.

don't make your own limited scope social network. connect with FB natively and use that for the social sharing functions.