Playstation Meeting trailer: See the Future. Feb. 20th

If the next xbox integrates with cable companies it can sell a ton of consoles without a single game being played on it.

I don't know about usa but here about every cable companies sell their own set up box that is required to watch hd content. There's no way they will ever work with ms.

Would have liked to have seen a price drop for the ps3 thrown into the announcements since it's now almost the ps4's time.

How much cheaper does it need to get? :s

It's the Vita that needs a massive price drop.

8GB GDR5, oh yeaaaah. Soo happy with that. Memory has always been Sony's main hardware issue.

Great conference, really was. Soo excited!

How much cheaper does it need to get? :s

It's the Vita that needs a massive price drop.

The console is ancient. It shouldn't be anywhere near and definitely not above $200 at this point.

This whole presentation is games games games. No mention of even having a Blu-ray player. ITs a well known fact that tablets are outselling everything. If PS4 doesn't have a BIG emphasis on media and an Easy way to access it they will have a hard time selling a lot of consoles.

IF the rumors of the xbox 720 are true it can sell a lot of consoles as just a stb for media and cable companies if the games console market tanks. The rumors even state of having a stb for just the media portions. Keep in mind having an HDMI IN means it could even act as a dvr.

Also keep in mind ease of accessing everything. Not everybody goes to neowin and knows how to run a dlna server to serve content to the ps3.

If the next xbox integrates with cable companies it can sell a ton of consoles without a single game being played on it.

If you feel STB are a huge selling point for a gaming console, then so be it. Not sure how much I agree, especially since I just signed up for FIOS Quantum, and they threw in a 3rd STB free of charge that I can hook up a drive to via USB if I so choose to do so. So I do not really need my gaming console to be a STB. Maybe that is a huge selling point, I am just not sure it is.

Honestly it sounds like to me you should skip consoles all together and just get a nice media center PC.

And I personally do not think tablet integration is such a big factor in a gaming console. I like the worlds being separate. I do not see the appeal of having a tablet that displays tertiary information on the game I am playing. However something like Remote Play on the Vita? Yeah, for a gaming console, that makes perfect sense. So lets see if MS answers with Surface Remote Play or something similar.

And as far as getting a DLNA server to run on the PS3, I personally think the average person would have a much easier time installing a single app on their PC then getting Windows Media Center to run properly or to properly configure home sharing. It is actually very easy to get PS3 Media Server running.

I hope MS brings their A game, I really do. I, unlike a lot of people, like it when ALL companies do well, as I personally feel competition is a good thing. I just cannot see how any one in their right mind can dismiss the PS4 based on what they just showed us.

What I felt was several lacking was...

A price point.

What it looks like.

What resolution exactly are games running at? Full 1080p?

Other then the above 3 things, I thought it was a pretty damn fine showing overall. Has me excited to pick one up.

was there a release date said? i only got to see like half the conference

Fall 2013

If you feel STB are a huge selling point for a gaming console, then so be it. Not sure how much I agree, especially since I just signed up for FIOS Quantum, and they threw in a 3rd STB free of charge that I can hook up a drive to via USB if I so choose to do so. So I do not really need my gaming console to be a STB. Maybe that is a huge selling point, I am just not sure it is.

Honestly it sounds like to me you should skip consoles all together and just get a nice media center PC.

And I personally do not think tablet integration is such a big factor in a gaming console. I like the worlds being separate. I do not see the appeal of having a tablet that displays tertiary information on the game I am playing. However something like Remote Play on the Vita? Yeah, for a gaming console, that makes perfect sense. So lets see if MS answers with Surface Remote Play or something similar.

And as far as getting a DLNA server to run on the PS3, I personally think the average person would have a much easier time installing a single app on their PC then getting Windows Media Center to run properly or to properly configure home sharing. It is actually very easy to get PS3 Media Server running.

I hope MS brings their A game, I really do. I, unlike a lot of people, like it when ALL companies do well, as I personally feel competition is a good thing. I just cannot see how any one in their right mind can dismiss the PS4 based on what they just showed us.

What I felt was several lacking was...

A price point.

What it looks like.

What resolution exactly are games running at? Full 1080p?

Other then the above 3 things, I thought it was a pretty damn fine showing overall. Has me excited to pick one up.

I have a feeling it'll still just look like a PC box. Early days for design and I hope this means they'll carefully plan it and make it look nice. No more spiderman font!

Where did you see that? All I saw at the end, was "Holidays 2013".

I take holidays 2013 to mean the fall, might just be my scottish 'translation' being wonky.

Why not winter?

I see a September/November launch which I'd class as fall. Winter is December to me.

I just cannot see how any one in their right mind can dismiss the PS4 based on what they just showed us.

I agree. How can someone dismiss the PS4 when they provided virtually no information about it :/

Social networking? I'll pass

Touch controller? They didn't even show how it will be used in games.

3D Move Camera? Looks awfully similar to Kinect.

Integration with Vita? unless you already have a Vita, or plan on buying one, most people will not use this.

They didn't even mention anything about pricing, or hardware specs other than the basics. What kinds of ports will it have? hard drive size? Blu-ray drive speed?

90% of the presentation was showing off pre-rendered games, TBH the graphics are not mind-blowing. The GPU is slower than PC GPU's from 2009.

Tad late for what holiday season? Didn't say which holidays and christams and new years are big ones for sales.

You sure as **** don't want to release a new console 4 days before Christmas.

I agree. How can someone dismiss the PS4 when they provided virtually no information about it :/

Integration with Vita? unless you already have a Vita, or plan on buying one, most people will not use this.

They didn't even mention anything about pricing, or hardware specs other than the basics. What kinds of ports will it have? hard drive size? Blu-ray drive speed?

90% of the presentation was showing off pre-rendered games, TBH the graphics are not mind-blowing. The GPU is slower than PC GPU's from 2009.

What? The majority of stuff was real time, the only game I do not think we have clarification on is inFamous.

It was an unveiling of the development of the PS4, we still have GDC and E3 to come. Don't you think the main purpose is to get people talking about the PS4 before the next Xbox?

I know there was a silly hype train prior to this event, but I'm scratching my head at what some people expected potentially 8 months before release.

8GB of GDR5 ram is huge, nearly every single development issue surrounding the PS3 has been because of memory, and prior to today it was rumoured at 4GB of GDR5. That announcement alone, let alone everything else makes me super happy.

You sure as **** don't want to release a new console 4 days before Christmas.

That's why you release it three weeks before christmas.

What? The majority of stuff was real time, the only game I do not think we have clarification on is inFamous.

Nothing was real time in the presentation. All was pre-recorded running on prototypes. The only thing ran "live" there, was that kiddy game (knockles, or something like that) on psvita which had frames rates issues.

Nothing was real time in the presentation. All was pre-recorded. The only thing ran "live" there, was that kiddy game (knockles, or something like that) on psvita which had frames rates issues.

Ugh Killzone was for a fact, they posted to facebook.

And pre-rendered and pre-recorded mean two totally different things. Realtime refers to something running on the actual PS4 hardware, pre-rendered means computer generated and usually a target of what can be achieved, not actual gameplay footage.

So you can have pre-recorded footage of real time on the PS4. It just means someone played it in an office or something and recorded, instead of playing it on stage.

With Sony pushing hard on 4K TVs at CES, the PS4 has to have 4K capability right?

I believe the reason why they didn't go into further detail about the console itself is that they are still working on the specs, features, etc.

Which is fall.

Try to keep up here.

With Sony pushing hard on 4K TVs at CES, the PS4 has to have 4K capability right?

I believe the reason why they didn't go into further detail about the console itself is that they are still working on the specs, features, etc.

For movies most likely, but not for games.

Did you watch the presentation? As Audioboxer pointed out, every single presentation minus Infamous, they said was "real-time."

And what social networking will you pass on? Being able to upload a video clip of the game you are currently playing? Or having your friend drop in remotely and take over your game? How are those bad social aspects? And I have ALWAYS said I personally do not feel the need for or like regular social networking on a gaming console, so I am very critical of social networking and consoles. But I actually see this as relevant social networking.

And sure they did not provide exact specs, but X86 architecture, 8 GB DDR5 Ram. Honestly I do not care about the exact specs right now. Those 2 specs enough show me they have been listening to what developers wanted. Anything that makes it easier for developers to develop for, I see that as being nothing but good.

So honestly, get caught up in the specs game all you want. It is a console. Anyone that knows anything knows the specs of a console are never going to be the most impressive aspect of said console. The inherit nature of consoles make them outdated before they are even released.

Yeah, I would have preferred what it looked like, ports, etc., but that will come soon enough. Honestly none of those are going to be a deal breaker for me though.

Of course, with months of development left things can still be tweaked, modified, overclocked, and even changed. They did specify 8GB of GDR5 specifically though.

If they announced dead set specs today, and then had to change later it's just unprofessional. Remember the PS3 dual HDMI/ethernet? Sony are trying not to make a mess of this launch. I'm sure the big debate right now is watching flash memory/SSD prices, and what size to put in the console if it's cheaply priced later in the year.

Ugh Killzone was for a fact, they posted to facebook.

And pre-rendered and pre-recorded mean two totally different things. Realtime refers to something running on the actual PS4 hardware, pre-rendered means computer generated and usually a target of what can be achieved, not actual gameplay footage.

So you can have pre-recorded footage of real time on the PS4. It just means someone played it in an office or something and recorded, instead of playing it on stage.

Main dude absolutely said almost everything was running in real time. The very first Unreal Demo he moved the damn controller to show he was controlling the camera. Almost every other demo he said "running in real time."

And I seriously have to wonder if people were mistaking a choppy stream for choppy gameplay. Once I got a good stream from IGN, nothing looked choppy. Prior to watching it, yes, everything looked like ass, as the whole stream ran like ass.