Zune software bug? (yes, I said Zune)

Question

Setting aside the religious arguments for or against the merits of the Zune...

I'm subscribed to a bunch of podcasts in my Zune software. One of them (out of about a dozen I'm subscribed to) never seems to purge their oldest entries.

It seems that there's a limit of 512 unique entries for a given podcast. Since reaching this number of entries, the Zune software hasn't downloaded new updates for that podcast (others are still working fine). I can navigate directly to the podcast's URL (an RSS feed) and see newer entries, but the Zune software simply isn't downloading them. Nothing's changed about the RSS feed--everything's formatted the same between the last few podcasts I *did* manage to download, and those that don't.

I've tried unsubscribing and resubscribing, deleting everything in the folder where the podcasts are getting downloaded, etc...nothing helps. It's not like I can truncate the RSS feed myself either.

Google's coming up empty, and I'm not sure what to do next. Of course I can download podcasts from the RSS feed and listen to them on my computer (or transfer them to the Zune as "regular" MP3s, I suppose) but then I don't get the benefit of having the Zune automatically marking everything as played, automatically removing played entries, etc.

As an aside, a newer version of the Zune software was pushed out a few days ago (much to my surprise), but it doesn't seem to fix this. This shouldn't be related though, as the problem was present before the update.

Thoughts or suggestions (again, avoiding the religious arguments...)

6 answers to this question

I thought Zune was discontinued?

It is. I don't see how that's relevant to my question however; I'm not asking MS for support, I'm asking for suggestions here. Excluding the issue I'm bringing up, it's working perfectly for me.

Interesting, if you manually purge the older podcasts, does it download the new episodes. I know you shouldn't have to, but worth giving a shot, no? BTW, the Zune software is leaps and bounds better than the Xbox Music app. on Windows 8.

Interesting, if you manually purge the older podcasts, does it download the new episodes. I know you shouldn't have to, but worth giving a shot, no? BTW, the Zune software is leaps and bounds better than the Xbox Music app. on Windows 8.

At W8s launch I would've agreed with you, now it's not quite the same deal.

Also, it said he did in the first post.

Interesting, if you manually purge the older podcasts, does it download the new episodes. I know you shouldn't have to, but worth giving a shot, no?

As 'Deranged' has pointed out above, I already did. I actually cleared out the entire podcasts folder. But since it keeps track of what you've already played, it won't re-download them. If you tell it to forget everything, it'll redownload everything again from the start, and stop where it's currently at (the 512th entry).

If anyone wants to try it out, the URL is http://www.autopod.ca/rss/chum/43/

I didn't actually *count* the entries to arrive at that figure, but if you go to that URL with IE, it'll show (in the upper-right corner) there's 521 entries as of today (Saturday Feb 9th). This is a daily show broadcast Mondays through Fridays. 521 - 512 = 9. The last episode the software downloaded goes back to Monday, January 28th--9 episodes ago. The list at the URL however keeps going all the way to Feb 8th.