I used to be a jailbreaker, but not anymore

Is anyone else not jailbreaking this time round? I used to jailbreak all the time, but recently I've seen what iOS offers and it's just what I need. Sure, it's nice to have SBSettings at will, but all the extra tweaks just clog the memory, making for a slow experience.

I haven't jailbroken my iPhone 4 or 3Gs this time round. I'm happy with iOS 6.1 the way it is. Anyone agree?

Not iOS, but my WP7.8 has the option of full unlock but I choose stock too, wasn't keen on how things worked with the unlocked ROM, not as fun as say a rooted droid, messy and caused problems

I did just jailbreak my ipad2, but ike last time I did it I see no point, dreamboard an dinterboard are both a waste and useless when they don't just make the whole tablet a useless UI mess. I have not found a single jailbreak app that says "wow I need this". or even "I want this" or "This would be useful"

and the apps I wanted to test are usually not compatible with my IOS version.. so why is cydia even showing them to me...

If there was an adblocker app for Windows Phone I would definitely run an unlocked ROM to get rid of those perfectly placed ads on apps that don't have a paid version, placed exactly where the dev knows you will inevitably touch using the app

Just jailbroken some of my iOS 6.1 devices and I can say the fun in jailbreaking has kind of passed and to be honest I think the community is dying out :( many of the app devs never upgraded their packages to support iOS 5 and iOS 6 has very few packages that work 100%. I write my own scripts, extensions and unsigned apps for iOS so jailbreaking is a necessity for me. However with the loss of Installous, increased delay between OS update and JB exploit and of course the new iOS features like notification centre, wifi tethering and improved customization options I think we can see a lot of users just not bothering. For me the decline in interest started when Rock (a repository browser and installer) closed down and I was forced to use the slow and poorly written Cydia app. Jailbreaking started off as something only for hackers, became something for normal users to get more functionality and now that much of that functionality has been filled in will go back to being something mainly for hackers.

For me there are still quite a few reasons to jailbreak:

Being able to make third party apps the default app for certain things (browser, maps etc).

SBSettings which just explains itself.

Numerous tweaks to the multitasking bar to make it a lot more usable.

The tweaks that speed up the animations in iOS so the device feels a lot quicker.

Activator which is a god send for me because my iPhone 4's power and home buttons are starting to play up a fair bit.

And quite a few others.

I agree with the fact that jailbreaking or unlocking causes a mess, while not instantly, over time it becomes noticeable. After a while you just want the stock OS back.

So I read that 7 million some devices were JB'd in 4 days.. So clearly quite a few do not agree with you.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/02/08/evasi0n-is-the-most-popular-jailbreak-ever-nearly-seven-million-ios-devices-hacked-in-four-days/

Evasi0n Is The Most Popular Jailbreak Ever: Nearly Seven Million iOS Devices Hacked In Four Days

I just did my ipad3 yesterday - and found quite a few things that really should just be part of the OS.. But in general I hate the whole idea of a walled garden, it fine for the masses to keep issues smaller. And sure make it the default config, but like with the kindle fire - make it a simple toggle in the settings and now I can install apps from other sources, etc.

Couple things I installed because they should just be part of the normal config. ifile - not having access to the file system is nonsense. Even if never used, telling me I am too stupid to access the file system just ticks me off ;)

First thing I installed was wifi analyzer -- the info provided is just too useful in troubleshooting wireless issues. Why would you remove the ability to see the channels and strength of the SSIDs your box sees. What encryption its using, etc.. These are all things that make it easier to troubleshoot why you can not connect. Same goes for common networking tools like ping traceroute tcpdump, etc. All things I installed via the jb..

Now does billy need these? Maybe not -- but everyone is not billy.

Couple of other things I installed - ability to change how many icons on the screen, increased my dock to 8 icons, etc. Why is something like that just not native feature? Why can I not put an extra column on each page, why can I not change the size of the icons? Just basic common stuff..

Other option - change my default browser, really how is that not native that I can choose which browser opens a link!! As to adblock - I use mercury browser which has as native feature. So since I can not easy click links and have it open in mercury I don't care if safari has it or not.. Not a browser going to use for browsing.

So I read that 7 million some devices were JB'd in 4 days..

7 billion? That's amazing, but of how many will actually keep it? I remember jailbreaking for the first time with blackra1n, installing a load of awesome tweaks, then restoring in iTunes just so I can have that fast iOS experience back.

7 billion? That's amazing,

Billion -- yeah that would be really something.. Its million, not billion ;)

Well since that is in the first 4 days, and didn't count me for example.. All the repos were just slammed first few days after released.. What do you think the total number will be? Lets call it low 10 million, even if 10% only keep it and use it - 1 million users is more than enough users to keep the movement alive and well, etc.

Nobody is forcing you to jb yours - but if you think the act of jb slows it down, your out of your mind. Could you now do things that slow it down or use more battery.. Sure! I noticed right away that battery drain was up -- lets see leaving the wifi running because you have openssh server up and listening, vnc server listening could do that.. Installed the sbsettings so I could easy toggle them on or off and now battery seems to be back to normal.

Jailbreak is still necessary. I like to keep things light and only put on what I need instead of loading what I can for the sake of it. I stuck on 5.1.1 on my iPad 2 until 6.1 Jailbreak came out.

In general even if I wasn't into Jailbreaking, and I had an A5+ device, I would still Jailbreak and just not load apps, but still know that I can if I wanted to. When Apple patches the exploit and removes the old firmware (which needs to be confirmed by Apple before you can install on A5+ devices) then you lose your Jailbreak ability even if you wanted to, until the next exploit comes about - which is far and few in between.

I learnt not to screw out too much. When the iPad 2 was first jail broken, I went a bit crazy on Cydia and installed something that was supposed to turn my 3G iPad into an iPhone (make calls and so on), it didn't work but did screw everything up to the point that the iPad wouldn't boot. I had to restore from iTunes and lose the Jailbreak. By that time Apple ad already patched it and removed access to install the old firmware even if you still had the file. I had to wait until the next jailbreak exploit came about.

I need Dimmer more than anything. I like to work in the dark and the lowest brightness just isn't enough. I can't go without it.

Next favourite Jailbroken apps are iFle, BTC Keyboard and Mouse, BeeKeyboard & Activator.

Built in functionality is getting better but not there yet.

For the person who jailbreaks for Activator as buttons are wearing out - Try enabling Assistive Touch in Accessibility settings.

Bud man - Good tip about WiFi analyser, I will try it out. Currently I use the Android version but can't pick up 5GHz networks with that. Hopefully I get 5GHz on iPad since the iPad itself supports 5GHz

In the past I have purchased 3G unrestricted, but this has become unnecessary since the streaming app of the local TV station now allows 3G, not just WiFi. I have tried MySi but found it too unstable and too expensive, I rather use the money towards a proper 3G(and now LTE... which iPad 2 can't do) hotspot.

quote Billion -- yeah that would be really something.. Its million, not billion ;)

Heh, yeah I have no idea why I put a 'b' there instead of an 'm'.

Is anyone else not jailbreaking this time round? I used to jailbreak all the time, but recently I've seen what iOS offers and it's just what I need. Sure, it's nice to have SBSettings at will, but all the extra tweaks just clog the memory, making for a slow experience.

I haven't jailbroken my iPhone 4 or 3Gs this time round. I'm happy with iOS 6.1 the way it is. Anyone agree?

I agree with you. And if I could get MMS and tethering working with my prepay carrier (StraightTalk) I would probably not JB my phone at all. (I believe there is a trick that requires a working T-Mobile SIM to get MMS to work, but I don't have access to one of those). I jailbroke my iPad but don't really have anything I want to install on it.

In any case, it is probably a really good idea to fire up TinyUmbrella and download your SHSH blobs just in case you change your mind and want to jailbreak. Once Apple releases the update that patches this JB it will be too late, so get that saved now is my advice.

7 billion? That's amazing, but of how many will actually keep it? I remember jailbreaking for the first time with blackra1n, installing a load of awesome tweaks, then restoring in iTunes just so I can have that fast iOS experience back.

I've been jailbreaking ever since I bought an iPhone back in 2009, I've never noticed my device slowing down.

I have not bothered to Jailbreak my iPhone 4S/5 or my iPad 2 since iOS 5.1.1

Jailbreaking is just not worth it. Stock iOS is nearing perfection in all spheres that matter to me.

Jailbroke my iPhone, for the sake of SBSettings, f.lux and Shrink.

iOS has gotten much better in recent years, and it's almost up to the point where I don't actually bother anymore.

Battery normally drains 5-10% quicker, which is noticeable end of the day.

Haven't seen any need to JB my iPad...