Taylor Swift reportedly sued for keeping $2.5 million

Fans weren?t the only ones left upset when Taylor Swift didn?t perform at a huge country music concert in Canada, according to TMZ.

The gossip website reports a ticket company is suing Swift for money they lost when the Capital Hoedown in Ottawa was canceled, which Swift was set to perform at. The suit claims the pop star made $2.5 million for the performance that never took place back in Aug. 2012.

The show was shut down when producers couldn't get the concert organized, TMZ reported, but Swift was still allegedly paid for the show.

The company claims they had to refund $1.8 million in ticket sales, and they want Swift to pay for their loss.

The singer?s rep told TMZ Taylor never made a deal with the ticket company and has yet to see the lawsuit.

source

I don't see how it would fall back onto Swift, it would fall onto the producers. She was still booked for this date so should could have made $2.5 million or more by performing at another event. She was deprived of this opportunity so she is entitled to this payment. It would also set a bad precedent if multi-million dollar performers could be booked and then cancelled without payment otherwise concert cancellations would be commonplace. It would be different if the non-performance was her responsibility. The ticket sellers should have made sure that the producers had enough collateral or there was adequate business insurance to cover ticket refunds in case the event fell though, before agreeing to issue tickets.

• Like 1

I doubt she personally handles the scheduling or the money.

I don't she how she would have received any money, if there was no 'agreement'.

It would be a nice gesture to her fans in Ottawa to perform a free make-up concert.

Oh well. She's kinda cute, but not a very good singer, and the music is even worse. But then again, some people still listen to Country.

It's actually the biggest music market in the world, so yea. And she can sing, fwiw, if you see her live. I'm a metal fan and, while I don't enjoy her music at all, I do recognise and respect talent.

It's actually the biggest music market in the world, so yea. And she can sing, fwiw, if you see her live. I'm a metal fan and, while I don't enjoy her music at all, I do recognise and respect talent.

Country is the biggest music market in the world? Can you backup that statement?

Oh well. She's kinda cute, but not a very good singer, and the music is even worse. But then again, some people still listen to Country.

Not a very good singer?! I'd like to hear your idea of a good singer... or rather, I'd like to see if you could do any better. And btw, Country music is one of the biggest selling music of all time.

Btw, I'm a rock and metal fan. I just appreciate and understand good music or singers. I hate that some people dismiss things just because they don't like the music.

SK[' timestamp=1361796174' post='595542238]

Country is the biggest music market in the world? Can you backup that statement?

isnt garth brooks the biggest selling solo artist of all time

edit: seems so

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Garth_Brooks

Brooks is considered the best selling solo artist in history with 130 million albums sold.[5]

Doesnt get any more country than Garth xD

(also I only knew this because my dad is a huge fan. honest :laugh: )

also, he isnt on that list someone posted, so theres something awry there

Dunno, why are you asking someone who is questioning a statement made by someone else?

I very rarely (basically never) hear Country music in the UK which is why I find it hard to hear that it's the biggest music market in the world. Now if it said "biggest music market in the US" I would quiet easily believe it.

SK[' timestamp=1361798103' post='595542274]

Dunno, why are you asking someone who is questioning a statement made by someone else?

I very rarely (basically never) hear Country music in the UK which is why I find it hard to hear that it's the biggest music market in the world. Now if it said "biggest music market in the US" I would quiet easily believe it.

It was a rhetroical question, i already knew the answer. you asked for proof.

the world>UK

the uk is a very small country man come on.

You quoted me, which most people do to reply to one comment in a threaded forum topic.

UK is small. I don't deny that, if you want to take size into it can you really see the population of India or China being big consumers of country music?

SK[' timestamp=1361798531' post='595542282]

You quoted me, which most people do to reply to one comment in a threaded forum topic.

UK is small. I don't deny that, if you want to take size into it can you really see the population of India or China being big consumers of country music?

yeah well as i said it was a reply to you, in a way. I replied with a rhetorical question (which is almost like a statement) with something that i saw as proof which is what you asked for.

Also, yes ill give you that :laugh:

What i meant was just because you don't hear country in the Uk, doesn't mean the world doesn't listen to it.

It really irritates me why Taylor Swift even attends Country Music events any more. She clearly turned her back on that genre a long time ago to become a Pop singer. Why is she and other people pretending she's still a country singer? It especially annoys me when Country radio stations still play her music.

SK[' timestamp=1361796174' post='595542238]

I've also heard that it is, but its not. It's the biggest in the USA by far however what's classed as "pop" is still the biggest in the world.

Although some genres that are more popular in a limited number of countries are included in this analysis, some are not. Country music, for example, is included, because it is more popular in the world?s biggest market, the US. The number of country-focused radio stations outnumbers most other genre-based stations. Because of this, a large number of country tracks figure in the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, which is based on airplay rather than sales. However, in terms of retail sales, the genre accounts for about 12%, compared with more than 30% for rock. Even so, despite much-lower retail sales of country music elsewhere in the world, the high level in the US resulted in a global share of 5.9%

The show was shut down when producers couldn't get the concert organized, TMZ reported, but Swift was still allegedly paid for the show.

Not really her fault but I can see why she got sued. It was stupid to pay her for a concert she never did.

Not really her fault but I can see why she got sued. It was stupid to pay her for a concert she never did.

Dont these artists usually get paid in advance?

Like someone said if they didn't then the event organiser could just cancel them without any payment to the artist?

On the other hand, i guess that's what a contract is for

What a daft comment!

I dont know ay. I live in NZ, and we hear very little (ok, basically none) country music here. In fact the only other place I've really ever noticed having a country music presence is the outback of australia. Ever seen a european, asian, middle eastern, south american etc country star? Nope. So yes, the world is a big place, a big place full of people who dont buy country music.

I agree though, shes cute, but needs a burger, stat.