iMac 27" on order...

Well, seems like Windows 8 and Microsoft has done it for me, completed my transition to full Apple OS X.

I already have an iPad 64Gb (3rd gen), AppleTV and Apple Airport Express router. I'm going to use my current Mac mini as my HTPC and move my AppleTV to another TV in the house.

Going to keep my Windows 7 PC, as I sometime like to play games not available on Mac or Xbox360.

So, what I purchased is :

iMac 27" with Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz

8Gb RAM (and got Apple 2x8Gb Corsair DDR3-1600 from NCIX), so 24Gb total.

1TB Fusion Drive

GeForce 680MX 2Gb

So now I have to wait 3-4 weeks for delivery... Wow, that's a long wait. Come on Apple!!!

Where is mine? Did you order another iMac for me?

If it doesn't show up here after 4 weeks, I will be mad and add you on the block list.

:huh:

Joking... Congrats on your purchase. Enjoy it as soon as you get your hands on it.

:laugh:

Well, I've replaced my Gen2 iPod Touch with the new one, 32GB. Much nicer than the old one! Gonna fit well with the new iMac!

Used my iPod to death, and the poor battery is just able to last for 1 hour....

Aww man I missed your alien head avatar, it was neat

Congrats on the iMac, you know what you should do is like completely forget you ever bought this thing and when it comes it'll be like such a random "surprise"

Well, I've replaced my Gen2 iPod Touch with the new one, 32GB. Much nicer than the old one! Gonna fit well with the new iMac!

Used my iPod to death, and the poor battery is just able to last for 1 hour....

My 2nd iPod Touch and iPad2 last about 5 days... my old iPhone last a day. I have Android phone now, lasts about 2 days depends the usages.

Well, seems like Windows 8 and Microsoft has done it for me, completed my transition to full Apple OS X.

I already have an iPad 64Gb (3rd gen), AppleTV and Apple Airport Express router. I'm going to use my current Mac mini as my HTPC and move my AppleTV to another TV in the house.

Going to keep my Windows 7 PC, as I sometime like to play games not available on Mac or Xbox360.

So, what I purchased is :

iMac 27" with Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz

8Gb RAM (and got Apple 2x8Gb Corsair DDR3-1600 from NCIX), so 24Gb total.

1TB Fusion Drive

GeForce 680MX 2Gb

So now I have to wait 3-4 weeks for delivery... Wow, that's a long wait. Come on Apple!!!

You didn't expect to get quality service for your excessively priced hardware purchase surely?

• Like 3

You are lucky, the late 2012 iMac isn't even available for sale in my country.

You didn't expect to get quality service for your excessively priced hardware purchase surely?

Could not resist to troll hey?

Go ahead, find me a better all-in-one with the same spec (or better), same quality (no cheap plastic) for a better price.

• Like 1

Go ahead, find me a better all-in-one with the same spec (or better), same quality (no cheap plastic) for a better price.

Urgh, why even bother to feed it?

About form rather than function for you it seems.

Apples favourite type of customer lol.

• Like 2

Are we in the Mac section of the forum here? If you don't care for Apple product, just don't come here post some crap.

HP Z1, workstation, outdated look and far from cheaper $$...

Oh and it does NOT run OS X!

• Like 2

Custom config always takes a while for delivery, mine was the same.

I myself will be transitioning to the Mac later this year. In fact, I will be going all out.

- iMac 27 inch base model

- iPad 16 GB Wi-FI

- iPhone 16 GB

Hopefully, by the time I am ready to buy Apple will at least upgrade the storage in iPhone and iPad to 32 GBs in the base model since my iPod Touch 3rd gen library of content has already passed 16 GBs. Also, I hope the Rev B of iMac will have Haswell and Fusion drive standard at the base price (hoping).

My reasoning for transitioning to the Mac is a combination of curiosity and attraction to the hardware. But the key factor I would say is the ecosystem. What Microsoft promised years ago with Longhorn and are trying to accomplish now with Windows Phone, Windows 8 are still in it its infancy. There is still a lot to prove and I am not betting my money all the way either considering that this market is becoming mostly Android/iOS based. Apple has a mature ecosystem that works great across their devices. As an enthusiast of Microsoft, I have seen it too many times, Microsoft enters a market where they believe they can compete by just entering with a me too product. PhotoDraw (died after version 2), Play for Sure, Zune, Expression, Silverlight, Search, Windows Phone 7/Lumia 920. Reactive has been a major problem at the company, not to mention how quickly they fail.

I personally don't have a problem with Windows 8 or Windows in general, but I believe Windows 8 is not mature enough. A lot of the Modern apps are still unstable and need more work. I use it everyday at work and I have it on my laptop, but the majority of my time is spent mostly in the desktop app. When I bought my iPod Touch in 2009, everybody I know was saying what a bad decision I made, you should have gotten a 'Zune' so much better and sexier. Where is the Zune now? The iPod Touch has probably been the gateway drug for me, it has proven its worthiness. I used it when I travelled to the states in 2011 and it was so handy. I communicated with family back home, checked email, browse the web, considering that the flight journey was over 20 hours (couple stops along the way). It proved itself very well.

During my visit to the states I stopped at a camera store in Macy's and saw an iMac 27 inch for the first time and was just taken aback with the gorgeous screen. Right then and there, I knew I had to get one of these, didn't know when or how because I didn't have a formal income at the time.

In 2011 I started a new job and started putting aside 100 dollars per month in addition to $500 I had saved up from some software I resold towards the Mac. I said to myself, I am going to get one of these. Although during that time, I was thoroughly satisfied with Windows 7 and the PC and looking forward to see what Windows 8 would bring. Using the Windows 8 Dev Preview in a way kinda opened the crack for Mac a little more and has led to my wholehearted decision to give the platform a try for a change.

Its a significant investment, especially in a tough economic time like this where money is hard to earn. I think I deserve to treat myself though. Some will say, you could get two extremely speced PC's with the money you are spending on one base model 27 inch iMac. True, but I have 3 Windows PC's on my desk right now (2 desktops, 1 laptop). In fact the model PC I am typing this from has a Intel XEON 3.2 GHz CPU, 160 GB SSD, 8 GBs DDR3 RAM, boots in 4 seconds with Windows 7 Professiona 64 bit. Even when I get the Mac, this should still be kicking for years.

So, I think I have had my fair share of PC's, in addition to the ones I have owned in the past, 9 year old Dell Dimension 8300 (2004) which died in June of 2012, Dell Latitude 840c laptop (2003), IBM Aptiva (2000), Zenith GT Workstation (1996), ALR Systems (1995).

With recent model PC's running Windows 8, its a case of once you have seen one, you have seen them all. I personally do not have a desire for Touch on the desktop either, it works great on a mobile device such as the iPad or iPhone though and I have the proof of that with my iPod Touch.

I do not hate the PC platform, it has its benefits and roll to play in the industry, it offers significant value to those who don't care about asthetics (form over function). I have matured through out my years of computing. I have been exclusively a Windows user for most of my computing life and I am extremely thankful for most of it, since it has contributed to why I have a job both as a Sys Admin and Technician. Its actually the money I have earned from managing Windows systems that will be purchasing an iMac.

More than a year ago, I started out with the simple idea of maybe I should just purchase an Mac Mini to experiment, but after seeing and remembering the iMac, I said to myself, thats what I want. That idea has now blossomed into not only the Mac, but also the iOS devices. I like the iPhone, when I watched Steve Jobs presentation in January of 2007 I knew I was seeing a game changer. Its mature and proven. Its beautiful, I saw someone using his and just the clean lines and overall industrial design gave me the go ahead to say, I need that too. My choice for all things Apple, is not a trend based on what I see everyone using.

What has really happened here is Apple has simply made a better product and in this case, they have won me over for doing just that.

What has really happened here is Apple has simply made a better product and in this case, they have won me over for doing just that.

Just quoted the last phrase from what you said but real nice read. I too feel that Apple product are just better built and OS X is something I can see myself live with and work with it. Can say the same for Win8.

The shipping date just changed on my order, it's now 2-3 weeks for delivery, so March 22-28.

Are we in the Mac section of the forum here? If you don't care for Apple product, just don't come here post some crap.

HP Z1, workstation, outdated look and far from cheaper $$...

Oh and it does NOT run OS X!

I'm sure you could install OS X on it if you really wanted to, but I'd stick with Windows 7 since that's what it's designed to run.

As for a Z1 vs iMac, they're aimed at different market segments. I personally don't care for the "all in one" form factor no matter what OS it runs.

With that said, congratulations on your iMac. Questions: how much did you spend total and how many memory slots does it have? You said you bought 2 8gb modules. Is the 8 it comes with non removable?

Absolutely loved my iMac 27" (mid 2010)

Wanted to upgrade my graphics card and change to an ssd though and it wasn't something I could do myself.. Had to pay a mac technician ?300 just for the labour, decided to sell it and get a pc.

You won't be disappointed though, the quality of the machine is perfect and the display is the best I've used

Questions: how much did you spend total and how many memory slots does it have? You said you bought 2 8gb modules. Is the 8 it comes with non removable?

It's about the only thing that can be upgraded without breaking anything...! At the back of the iMac 27" (the 21.5" is not upgradable) you have an access door to 4 SODIMM slot. The 8Gb model come with 2 x 4Gb DDR3-1600. I was planning on removing those 2 and replace them with 4 x 8Gb, but I opted to only install 2 x 8Gb for a total of 24Gb of memory. It should be good enough for my need.

I've had mine since December and it's great! I love the fusion drive, for pretty much everything I do it's the same speed at my rMBP. I went with the base model because I don't really run anything intensive on the CPU except compiling stuff which is pretty good with 4 cores anyways.

It'll get there eventually and will be worth the wait!

I'm still rocking my 2011 27". It's a fantastic machine, and is more upgradable than you may think. Mine started life as a 2.7Ghz i5, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD. Currently running a 3.4Ghz i7, 32GB RAM, and 2 SSDs in RAID0 + the 1TB drive (although the CPU upgrade is not for the feint of heart!) >.<.

I'm hoping that config is going to last me a while :p