New PSU needed

My 700 watt OCZ just died, so I am in need of a new PSU. My system is: AMD Phenom II X4 955 clocked at 3.50 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, 4 HDD's, a optical drive and an Nvidia Geforce GTX 260. I really need to get a new power supply soon, but I really do not know much about the different brands. I am not sure how many watts I need, but with the OCZ 700, I had to run a supplemental supply just to power the GPU (12V). Any recommendations would be appreciated! I will want to use Newegg if possible, because I have an account with Shoprunner that gives me free shipping!

700W is good, but you dont need that much. Im pretty sure with your setup a 600W would do you fine, but to be on the safe side I would recommend at least a 650W.

I like these :D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007657%2050001459%20600014022%20600014085&IsNodeId=1&name=650W

The OCZ 700 did not have enough power output on the 12v rail to properly power the GTX260. I ended up purchasing a supplemental PSU to provide the GPU with enough power. Now when I look at the PSU's, what do I need to have on the 12v rail to power the GPU?

Who makes your gpu card? I know its GTX260, but does eVGA make it? etc..?

Hi,

NZXT is a brand that seems over looked but is highly rated. I am really happy with my NZXT 850w Gold, which I bought as they where out of Corsair products.

Who makes your gpu card? I know its GTX260, but does eVGA make it? etc..?

XFX.

Hi,

NZXT is a brand that seems over looked but is highly rated. I am really happy with my NZXT 850w Gold, which I bought as they where out of Corsair products.

Nice! I have an nzxt case! The 850 gold is selling for $169.99 which is a bit high, but may be worth it!

Highly recommend Antec. Very nice PSUs and haven't had any problems/

For your GPU as long as you get a PSU with at least 2 x 6 Pin power connectors you are good.

I would recommend now to stick with at least 700W, but go for 750W-800W

Edit: oh and enough connections for your hard drives.

I have a Cooler Master Silent Pro 850w and it has been running 24/7 for more than a year without any issues or noise.

It is modular and can help you with that pesky cable management inside your case.

It's selling on NewEgg for $139 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171048

The 700w version is $10 cheaper but I don't see any benefit for that little difference.

Some might say no and some might say yes. Read the reviews for your final answer.

Ive learn to stay away from thermaltake, but to each his own and what they want to do :).

I have a Seasonic 550 powering my 2600k (4.0 GHz) with a 260 Core 216, one sdd and 3 HDDs, and one DVD RW. 650 watts should be plenty for you.

OP - Are you concerned w/ future-proofing? Perhaps you'd want to buy one that's a bit higher rated than you think you might need.

I'm currently using a Silverstone PSU. It's the 2nd i've bought. I highly recommend them. Very solid, well built.

I have a Cooler Master Silent Pro 850w and it has been running 24/7 for more than a year without any issues or noise.

It is modular and can help you with that pesky cable management inside your case.

It's selling on NewEgg for $139 http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817171048

The 700w version is $10 cheaper but I don't see any benefit for that little difference.

I have that exact same one, and it's an excellent PSU. Very satisfied. :yes:

Hello guys,

Recently I've checked the hardware monitor in bios and the numbers were:

• CPU Voltage: 1.184v
  • 3.3V Voltage: 3.360v
  • 5V Voltage: 5.136v / 5.160v
  • 12V Voltage: 11.872v / 11.928v

So, after these numbers, you can see that 12v is lower than 12.

Should I change the PSU? If yes, can someone recommend modular Cooler Master PSU (because market in my country) for my configuration?

Future Upgrades: SSD (OCZ Vertex 4 128GB) and new GPU (ASUS HD 7850 DC2 2GB / Gigabyte GTX 660 Windforce OC 2 GB)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Configuration:

Core i5 750

Asus P7H55

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Kingston HyperX

1TB WD Caviar Green SATA2

KFA2 GTS 250 1GB

DVD-RW LG 24x SATA

PSU: Hantol 720W (Real Power: 375W)

Hello guys,

Recently I've checked the hardware monitor in bios and the numbers were:

• CPU Voltage: 1.184v
  • 3.3V Voltage: 3.360v
  • 5V Voltage: 5.136v / 5.160v
  • 12V Voltage: 11.872v / 11.928v

So, after these numbers, you can see that 12v is lower than 12.

Should I change the PSU?

If I must, can someone recommend modular Cooler Master PSU (because my market) for my configuration?

Future Upgrades: SSD (OCZ Vertex 4 128GB) and new GPU (ASUS HD 7850 DC2 2GB / Gigabyte GTX 660 Windforce OC 2 GB)

The ATX spec includes a 5% tolerance, so as long as you are between 12.6V and 11.4V, you should be okay. Plus the software programs that read those voltages aren't super accurate to begin with. You'd have to physically check it with a multimeter.

If you're looking for a new PSU, this is the one I have, and it's rock solid:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171048

The ATX spec includes a 5% tolerance, so as long as you are between 12.6V and 11.4V, you should be okay. Plus the software programs that read those voltages aren't super accurate to begin with. You'd have to physically check it with a multimeter.

If you're looking for a new PSU, this is the one I have, and it's rock solid:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817171048

Thank you for the info.

So, I can go with the SIlent Pro PSU's.

850W - isn't a overkill for my config (including the future upgrades)?

600-650W for any one card 800W+ for two cards is a base line to what you need.

600-650W for any one card 800W+ for two cards is a base line to what you need.

I think that Silent Pro M2 520W or Silent Pro M500 should be enough for my pc and future upgrades...or maybe I'm wrong...

Thank you for the info.

So, I can go with the SIlent Pro PSU's.

It probably is a bit overkill. But if you someday want to run crossfire or SLI, you'd be happy you had the extra PSU headroom.

When I was running 570s in SLI, the 750W I had at the time, really struggled.

If you're on a budget, I'd say yeah it's unnecessary. But if you upgrade it now, it's one less thing to upgrade later.