Cincinatti Reds player killed

CINCINNATI -- Reds outfielder Dernell Stenson was found shot and killed early Wednesday in Chandler, Ariz.

Stenson, 25, was playing for the Scottsdale Scorpions of the Arizona Fall League.

Kevin G. Riddle, 43-year-old Indiana resident, was booked into Maricopa County Jail late Wednesday night on possession of stolen property (auto theft), Chandler police said in a statement. Riddle's arrest was a result of being stopped by Mesa Police two hours after the homicide in Chandler while driving Stenson's vehicle.

Riddle will remain an investigative lead in this case as the investigation continues, police said.

No motive was immediately determined for Stenson's shooting, which Chandler police are still investigating.

"We extend our prayers and deepest sympathies to Dernell's family and his friends, teammates and coaches," the Reds said in a statement.

Chandler police issued a news release stating that officers responded around 1:45 a.m. Wednesday to a call of shots being fired. Police then discovered Stenson's body lying in the roadway at the 2200 block of West Butler Drive. Stenson apparently had been shot and run over by a vehicle. Witnesses told police that a black sport utility vehicle was involved and seen leaving the area. Mesa (Ariz.) police found a vehicle matching that description in the area of Broadway and Extension streets at around 3:45 a.m. The car, a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo, was registered to Stenson out of Georgia, where he lived in LaGrange.

Originally, Stenson wasn't slated to play in Arizona. He was added to the Scorpions' roster when outfielder Wily Mo Pena was granted his wish to play Winter League ball in the Dominican Republic after spending time at Cincinnati's instructional league camp in Florida. Stenson was thriving in the AFL, ranking third in the league with a .394 batting average and fourth with a .453 on-base percentage through 18 games.

Stenson, who the Reds claimed off waivers from Boston on Feb. 25, made his Major League debut this year after spending seven years in the Red Sox minor-league system. He was a Southern League All-Star with the Reds' Double-A Chattanooga affiliate, batting .306 with 14 home runs and 76 RBIs. He also hit .237 with five home runs and 14 RBIs in 17 games with Triple-A Louisville before being promoted to the Reds on Aug. 13. Appearing in 37 games, including 20 starts, Stenson batted .247 with three home runs and 13 RBIs for the Reds.

The AFL canceled Thursday's games in Stenson's memory.

xZDnF9gc.jpg

source Cincinnati Reds

other news articles about the death:

team remembers him

arrest made in case

Edited by CatnipOligarthy

weird thing is.. he was run over.. by his own car.. im speechless.. hats off.. heads bowed.. take a moment to remember his .247 BA, 3 HR, and 13 RBIs. :fro:

whoa man.. dont yell.. chill wit the caps.. fo real hommie.. its straight.. ma boi cole let ya slide this time.. yo yo peace :martini:

kinda? tha hommie got runned ova by his own rova truck.. and you kinda feel bad? mane you jus straight trippin cuz.. :pirate:

sorry about that. fixed.

no problem.

whoa man.. dont yell.. chill wit the caps.. fo real hommie.. its straight.. ma boi cole let ya slide this time.. yo yo peace

what's your problem? i ain't yelling and i know that i dont need to use caps. if u noticed, i didnt type everything in caps. so shut up! :angry:

what's your problem? i ain't yelling and i know that i dont need to use caps. if u noticed, i didnt type everything in caps. so shut up! :angry:

what is yo smiley sayin beh.. i cant undastand it.. i aint gowna shut up jess because you said so ho face.. (N) so get up off deeeeeeeeees nyuts.. :kiss:

what is yo smiley sayin beh.. i cant undastand it.. i aint gowna shut up jess because you said so ho face.. (N) so get up off deeeeeeeeees nyuts.. :kiss:

since when does Master P post on neowin

He reads like Mohammed Ali--post brain tramma. :blink:

*trauma

Anyways... Yeah... That sucks. Although I've never heard of him, nor seen him play -- it's sad all the same.

it's a shock for those of us in Reds country :no:

i know its too early to think about it, but hopefully the reds will be able to turn this into positive energy and they can dedicate next years season to him.

i know its too early to think about it, but hopefully the reds will be able to turn this into positive energy and they can dedicate next years season to him.

and griffey also ya heard :alien:

we are talking about basketball (NBA) right? :santa:

gee...you've been a member of neowin for less than 24 hrs and you're already boring :rolleyes: