Have you ever donated money to Wikipedia?

I donated ?5 a year or two ago, but I've loved the website for 7+ years, so I'll definitely donate more soon.

I'm not using it and think it's unreliable source for information, so no.

Then why are you posting in this topic? It clear (even though I wasn't literal in the question) that it's for supporters.

Then why are you posting in this topic? It clear (even though I wasn't literal in the question) that it's for supporters.

Because you asked if I ever donated to Wikipedia? Didn't know the only possible answer was "yes". Sorry.

Because you asked if I ever donated to Wikipedia? Didn't know the only possible answer was "yes". Sorry.

You're right, I should have been clearer.

King, why not add a poll to the topic if what you're trying to do is see how many people do or do not?

I didn't create it to see how much people have donated, just whether people have :)

I haven't yet, but I'm planning to. Wikipedia might be, for some, an unreliable source (which I no longer agree with. In the past, yes, but not today), but no one can deny that the site is a great tool for learning and knowledge.

• Like 1

Well said Pupik! Obviously some people need to know how threads and discussions work on Neowin.

And no I have not and will not donate to the site as its irrelevant to me.If it shut down tomorrow, nothing of value would have been lost IMO.

I haven't donated, but I should because it's something I use all the time. I've also been editing a few articles lately.

This made me giggle. The exact response I would have given. Sometimes it's impossible to not be sarcastic. Highlights stupidty wonderfully.

Yeah I donated ?5 last time they were begging.

As far as reliability goes: with 'traditional' printed books or sites you can't edit, you have to trust that the author and editors et al knew what they were doing and got their facts right. If they got something wrong, it's not necessarily easy to get it changed, it might not even be easy to detect the mistakes or bias.

Wikipedia does make use of citations and if you are doing research for school/uni/etc you should follow up those sources. Sometimes you will realise that they don't quite add up with whatever was on the original article, but hey, at least you got to see the original source. Nothing stopping you from changing it yourself.

Oh yeah while I'm on this waffle train .. pages that get vandalised or abused or are badly written are often flagged up as such.

I have donated before and probably will again. I love browsing it--you can learn about anything, and even if it isn't always 100% reliable, it's generally pretty good, and you can learn more than you knew before anyway. It's done so much for me that I am quite happy to give back.