'cannot delete blahdeblah: it is being used by another program'...when

hmph, i'm downloading a video off of morpheus, and its 600MB, i had gotten like 130mb and was bored, and a mate said if u copy it and paste it u can view it in WMP if you change the .dat to .avi, or the filename extension...so i do this, open the vid...it won't run...so, fine,...i attempt to delete it, and i get the message:

'cannot delete blahdeblah: it is being used by another program'

this has also happened with a machine head video i copied from a cd, that i cancelled half way through, leaving me with a 50mb file thats unviewable and undeletable.

How the hell do i go about deleting it?

i thought about turning file protection off but i'm guessing it'll still say the same thing about it being in use!

:@ hmph:dead: :dead:

Explorer opens the file to get the first frame for preview purposes. To delete it, select the file and wait a few minutes. Do not select anything else. Then try to delete.

-Matrox

Try a restart to dump any programs that are using the file.

Oh, and FYI: you must have the ENTIRE file to view an AVI ... i dont know EXACTLY why this is; i think it is because the codec info is stored at the end of the file.

YahoKa,

In my travels, I saw a until allowing you to watch incomplete DivX's (which use the avi extension), may be of interest / use.

As for files being locked, the obvious solution is morpheus, that ****es me off. But something else on my system is doing it, even after a boot. Very strange. When it annoys me enough, I'll fix it..!

to view incomplete avi files use a program called DivFix, i had it, but i no longer had it do to formatted hardrive. do a search on googles or something.

tips: when you get it there will be to type, a dos and a windows type, i recomment to use the dos version, (much faster) but if you are going keep downloading copy and paste and use the copyied one.

To use the dos one just drag and drop the incomple file to the program.

:mad: :lick: :devious: :dead: :paranoid: :cool: :cool: