Office 2013 Professional refuses to install on Windows 8

Question

I'm trying to install Office 2013 on Windows 8 ... but it doesn't want to install. The progress bar gets to what looks

to be about 80% or so ... then it gives up, saying the setup has failed and that I need to restart my computer.

So, I restart the computer as instructed, and try again. It still won't install. Everytime, it gives the error:

Please restart

We're sorry. Before we can install we need you to restart your computer and retry your installation.

Technical details:

Setup failed.

I've been through this 4 times now. It point blank refuses to install the program. What gives?

Here's the system spec of my PC if needed.

Intel Core2Quad Q8400 2.66GHz CPU ... 3GB RAM ... Hard drives: 320GB system + 2TB storage.

P.S.

What's with all this "We're sorry" and "Before we can install" nonsense? Who's "we" ... ?!?

14 answers to this question

Does anything in the event viewer give more details (error code or more information)?

Log Name: Application

Source: MsiInstaller

Date: 24/04/2013 00:56:38

Event ID: 11303

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: DJGMPC\Greg

Computer: DJGMPC

Description:

Product:

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 -- Error 1303. Setup cannot access the folder

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office 2013\Office 2013 Tools.

Verify that the folder exists in your system and that you have sufficient permissions to update it.

The folder that it's looking for isn't there. Surely one of the tasks of the installer is to create such a folder if it isn't already there?

http://support.micro....com/kb/2813190

There is also in that link above- stopping the print service.

If setup hangs at any percentage:

Run an online repair of Office

• Open Control Panel, and choose Programs and Features.
  • In the Uninstall or change a program window, find and select the Microsoft Office product you're trying to install from the list.
  • Tap or click Change, choose Online Repair and tap or click Repair.

http://office.micros...A102919019.aspx

Are you acting as the Admin? Multiple versions of Office installed?

I did a search on Google and these seem to be some factors to consider.

Good luck.

PS. Goes without saying, but this is a legit copy of Office, right? Did you check the hash?

Are you acting as the Admin? Multiple versions of Office installed?

I did a search on Google and these seem to be some factors to consider.

Good luck.

PS. Goes without saying, but this is a legit copy of Office, right? Did you check the hash?

I'm installing it as Admin (Right click setup - Run as Administrator) ... there are no other installation of Office currently installed.

Yes, it's a fully legit, non-pirated, non-torrented version of Office ... downloaded from my Microsoft TechNet account.

Hello,

Just to check, is the PC running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 8? Maybe trying to install a 64-bit edition of Office on a 32-bit edition of Windows 8?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hello,

Just to check, is the PC running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 8?

Maybe trying to install a 64-bit edition of Office on a 32-bit edition of Windows 8?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

No, it's definitely the correct matching system type for the Office installer.

If I was trying to install something that's 64bit on a 32bit OS I'd get this across the full length of my display:

This-app-cant-run-on-your-PC.png

Installing 32bit software on a 64bit OS though still works with the built in backward compatibility.

Hello,

Assuming there's no problem with ownership of the directory, maybe a CHKDSK against the drive, just to rule out filesystem corruption as a possibility?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

go to

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

right click Programs folder, go to properties, go to the security tab, click edit

click the "Everyone' group, check full control. make sure the boxes are all populated with checkmarks,hit apply, then ok, then ok

now open the Programs folder

if there isn't this directory, "Microsoft Office 2013" then create one with this name

open "Microsoft Office 2013" directory

inside of it, create "Office 2013 Tools"

now try to install office again as Admin

good to hear. I personally never had that problem but from the error OP got, I figured it had to be a permissions problem. some software installed probably screwed with the permissions of that folder.

That didn't work for me. I've encountered the same problem, no matter x86 or x64 version of MS Office Installer (ISO file or extracted files), the installation's always failed. And there's no more information but:

Please restart.

We're sorry. Before we can install we need you to restart your computer and retry your installation.

Technical detail:

There's no technical detail at all.

I had my MS Office before, but I've already uninstalled it because of an unexpected error. And now I cannot reinstall it. I've tried MS FixIt but that didn't help. Please help.

post-319484-1274.png