London in 1927; in colour!

Was it really filmed in color or was the color added later on through processing? sometimes the color like pops up at you or fades away a little, not sure if it's my imagination though lol, anyway pretty nice.

This process produced the illusion of true colour by exposing each alternate frame of ordinary black-and-white film stock through a two different coloured filters. Each alternate frame of the monochrome print was then stained red or green. Although the projection of Biocolour prints did provide a tolerable illusion of true colour, it suffered from noticeable flickering and red-and-green fringing when the subject was in rapid motion. In an attempt to overcome the colour fringing problem, a faster-than-usual frame rate was used.

Source: Wikipedia

Was it really filmed in color or was the color added later on through processing? sometimes the color like pops up at you or fades away a little, not sure if it's my imagination though lol, anyway pretty nice.

more likely the second one. also London had more green (trees) back then :)

very cool.. hardly anyone of those husbands is bald.. and just a couple of decades is the difference between looking developed and looking like a developing country.

Pretty mad to think my Grandma would have been 4 years old when this was filmed. The quality is very impressive considering the age!

I found this film to be rather moving. It's incredible to think how much the city has changed, and yet, how much has remained largely the same.

Thanks for posting!

• Like 2

wow, I've Always thought that when you brought someone from the inter bellum to our world they would stand there and wat around in amazement. But actually, not much has changed at all

Brilliant piece of footage. Besides the fashion, few missing buildings and far more trees/sparrows, looks pretty similar now!

1927 Google street view!

Wow, that was really awesome. It's a shame the days of everybody wearing suits has passed.

It's also interesting seeing how intrigued people were by somebody filming. We've come a long ways in the last century.

• Like 1

I don't see Jack, the Ripper ...

Jack predates this by 30 years, and he was probably already dead as some believe he either got ill or died when he suddenly stopped murdering and mocking the police.

That was very cool. It's strange knowing the age of that footage, and yet there's a strange familiarity to it. It reminded me of something similar that might appeal. While it's not video footage, it's a series of color pictures from Tsarist Russia - and they're now just over a century old. They're the Produkin-Gorskii pictures. There's that strange similarity in them as well. What gets me about stuff like this is stopping and thinking about what happened between when they were created and now. That's when it gets really crazy.