Why i'm abandoning Windows Phone

Yeah Samsung still has its warts. My brother gave me an S3 and I had to flash a custom rom on it because the TouchWiz UI to me was just an absolute mess. I couldn't stand looking at it or using it. The stock Android UI in 4.2.2 I have running on my Nexus is very nice though. I love the UI.

Fixed that for ya.

If that's true, then it doesn't really inspire a lot of confidence in the scalability and performance of the WP kernel, especially when Android and iOS can run just fine on single-core chipsets with 512MB RAM (or 256MB, in the case of the iPhone 3GS).

Android runs fine on a single core chipset? Really? Let me have of what you have been smoking.. It must be really good. 3GS is okay at best. Much better than Android at the same time it was out.

• Like 1

I read a lot of hostility, (not hate exactly) for the Touchwiz, as an S3 owner I'm confused, why is it so bad? I set mine up to mimic the menu layout my N8 has, and to this day I haven't maxxed out my usage on it (1 gig model i9300) or anything that would make me think, 'if only it did or didn't do this..'

Android runs fine on a single core chipset? Really? Let me have of what you have been smoking.. It must be really good. 3GS is okay at best. Much better than Android at the same time it was out.

I have Jelly Bean running on my SGS1...works great. Granted, it is rooted...but works just fine. As long as it is stock OS and not TW garbage, then yes Android will run fine on a single core chipset.

I read a lot of hostility, (not hate exactly) for the Touchwiz, as an S3 owner I'm confused, why is it so bad?

Has a lot of bloat to it..and takes up a lot of space that can be used for other things. Also with custom UIs like this, takes much longer to update the OS when new versions come out.

• Like 1

Android runs fine on a single core chipset? Really? Let me have of what you have been smoking.. It must be really good.

Sure. It's called XDA, and some basic reading skills. And it's actually not half-bad.

Has a lot of bloat to it..and takes up a lot of space that can be used for other things. Also with custom UIs like this, takes much longer to update the OS when new versions come out.

In all honesty, I hadn't noticed..

(edit, I forgot to mention, this is the first android device I've ever had, so I could be biased due to the fact that I have not had any of the older OS's than 4.0)

I read a lot of hostility, (not hate exactly) for the Touchwiz, as an S3 owner I'm confused, why is it so bad? I set mine up to mimic the menu layout my N8 has, and to this day I haven't maxxed out my usage on it (1 gig model i9300) or anything that would make me think, 'if only it did or didn't do this..'

Maybe I'm a minimalist in some respects.. I don't know... But the huge size of everything in the UI drove me insane. The clutter of it and all that stuff made my brain hurt.

A lot of users like it, but it isn't for me.

Fixed that for ya.

:)

• Like 1

In all honesty, I hadn't noticed..

In all fairness, you're rocking a GS3. It's on mid-range hardware or lower that the impact it makes shows.

Another thing about the Linux kernel (and Android, to some extent)... is that you basically have the whole world innovating for it. My device can run unofficial builds of MIUI, Facebook Home, and an early preview of Ubuntu Touch if I want it to. Firefox OS was recently ported to a cousin device, so I'm hopeful of seeing a port for my phone as well in future. No chance of any of these happening with an iPhone/WP.

I abandoned Windows Phone not because I didn't like it, just because I tried a Galaxy S3 and I suited more my needs

Nexus S is single core, and was the preferred development platform for AOSP until just recently. It shipped with 2.3 and had support all the way up to 4.1.2. Space issues aside, it is still a very capable device.

Fixed that for ya.

Sadly, replace Samsung* with any other OEM and you still have to deal with the crap. Android UI lags, that's a well accepted fact.

*Then there is this thing about Android = Galaxy.

• Like 1

Sadly, replace Samsung* with any other OEM and you still have to deal with the crap. Android UI lags, that's a well accepted fact.

The reply I was commenting on wasnt even mentioning lag on android. Had to do with the mess the UI caused that I was replying to. And yes, android lags and I have also seen iOS lag as well. But a split second lag is no big deal.

Windows Phone 7.8 of course has been replaced by Windows Phone 8. My Lumia 800 device is missing out on certain releases that are only available for Windows Phone 8 for example the new Facebook beta and Temple Run.

The device should be capable of running such apps so why am i being left out? I've only had it since the beginning of last year!

Windows Phone 8 has more apps but it doesn't seem that there are many major releases to choose from there either.

LMAO, duh, you are using a 2 year old phone, what were you expecting? You are getting much more support than any other crapdroid, so you argument doesn't even

hold true.

you're a genius aren't you? Have you considered It was released november/december 2011 which means it's not even a two years old. From release to when Windows Phone 8 was released in October 2012 it wasn't even getting decent apps then! and more to the point devices like the Lumia 900 are literally JUST a year old and that has only just been upgraded to Windows Phone 7.8. you would have looked completely foolish if it wasn't for saying 'crapdroid'. that was your saving grace. you smart ******. :rolleyes: