What is the best way to get broadcast TV without Cable/Satellite?

Let me be clear, I am OK with pay options and I DO NOT want to torrent or any of that fun jazz.

I'm moving into a new home and I am attempting to wing it with just internet only. For local TV, i'm going to be using an OTA antenna to get the local channels and whatever free OTA channels there are. Of course by doing this, I will miss some of the standard cable channels like TNT, TBS etc. etc.

Now I know a lot of these channels do stream there shows on there official websites, which is perfect, however I don't really want to watch all these shows on my computer. I would prefer to be able to watch stuff on my TV. My question is, what devices are options do I have to watch these streaming options on my TV? Would a Roku work for this? I have read a bit about it and I see it has some channels on it.

I suppose another option is to just hook up my computer to my TV and use it as a second monitor, but I wanted to see what other ideas people have. Thank you kindly!

Get a combination of Hulu Plus and Netflix.

The only reason i'm not taking that route is because my fiance watches some shows on HGTV that are not available on there.

Xbox with Kinect for Netflix, Hulu and streaming from your PC

That basically doesn't even make sense what you said.

You don't want to watch on your computer, but are asking what device is best to hook up to your TV.

Hook your computer to your TV. Der.

That basically doesn't even make sense what you said.

You don't want to watch on your computer, but are asking what device is best to hook up to your TV.

Hook your computer to your TV. Der.

Instead of watching it on a 13" macbook, i'll be watching it on a 50" TV... durr

The only reason i'm not taking that route is because my fiance watches some shows on HGTV that are not available on there.

Xbox with Kinect for Netflix, Hulu and streaming from your PC

One of the guys I work with tried Hulu plus and it seemed the options were limited. I may give it a shot since there is a free trial.

I have a PS3 and I do believe they have both a Hulu and Netflix app. I'd still like to continue watching current seasons opposed to waiting a year for DVD/Streaming release (for Netflix).

Thanks for the options.

Problem is a lot of the broadcast stations (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX) are tagging theirs shows on Hulu (Plus) as Web Only so you cannot watch on any device by a computer.

Amazon Prime might be another option.

Instead of watching it on a 13" macbook, i'll be watching it on a 50" TV... durr

Well I think he means that you should get a cable to connect your Macbook to your TV.

That's a much better solution than getting a Roku or something that only has limited functionality.

USTVnow.com offers free OTA HD channels with a free acount,and you can subscribe to regular cable channels with a monthly plan , and these are internet streams. the only catch is that its only available to US citizens living outside the US.

Well I think he means that you should get a cable to connect your Macbook to your TV.

That's a much better solution than getting a Roku or something that only has limited functionality.

The only reason I don't want to do that (perhaps should have mentioned in the OP) is that I'd like to be able to use the laptop for stuff instead of having the computer hooked to the TV. I'm keeping my main tower in an office, separate from the living room where I will have the main TV. It's just personal preference I suppose.

Netflix + Hulu, on a device connected to your tv, such as a Roku, PS3, GoogleTV, and many more.

Note Xbox required gold membership to use those apps.

Roku would be cheapest / easiest to use.

Or USB TV Turner (make sure it supports digital) for the over the air.

The upgraded (pay software) for the one I use allows streaming across my network

http://www.hauppauge...ta_hvr950q.html

with this - http://www.hauppauge...ort_extend.html

Windows Media Center also picks this right up and can use Media Center as DVR as well, but not stream.

Roku with Time Warner (the Carolinas have them I think?) is an option lately. They have the option to watch live TV on Roku. Your next option might be a WDTV Live with a Hauppauge USB dongle that connects to your cable cord. The WDTV added that recently which I guess defeats the purpose of "no cable" but it's an option.

Your last option would be AEREO if it were available where you were moving to.

Plair doesn't look too bad either. Might be something I will check out :)

:s

Due to overwhelming demand PLAiR is on backorder. Here are the estimated shipping dates based on your choice of colors:

• Raven June 04 2013
  • Aqua June 21 2013
  • Passion June 21 2013

Your credit card won't be charged until your PLAiR is ready to ship.

:s

Due to overwhelming demand PLAiR is on backorder. Here are the estimated shipping dates based on your choice of colors:

• Raven June 04 2013
  • Aqua June 21 2013
  • Passion June 21 2013

Your credit card won't be charged until your PLAiR is ready to ship.

Meh, that's only 2 weeks away for the Black one.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zikalify
      UK broadcasters looking at unified on-demand service to battle Netflix
      by Paul Hill

According to an article published yesterday in The Telegraph (via MSN), the British broadcasters are looking to band together to fight off rivals such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney+. Under the existing plans, which are not final, content from the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, and Channel 5 would all be combined in one space so if you filtered content by Drama, you would see the dramas from each of the services side-by-side. You will also be able to view content by service too.

The report claims that the broadcasters have been in talks since the beginning of the year but that the urgency of the issue has intensified recently as they wish to flesh out a deal before 2023’s smart TVs begin production. If they arrange a deal quick enough, the new streaming platform could get its own button on smart TV remotes.

The introduction of a free, combined streaming service would be very good for people in the UK who currently have to wade through several separate services to find the content they watch. The idea for this service could have come from Britbox, a paid service operated by BBC, ITV, and Channel 4. It offers more content than what’s available on their free platforms but it costs £5.99 per month.

The media regulator, Ofcom, has said that it ‘supports strong collaborative partnerships’ so this news will be welcome. It should also be welcome by the government which announced last week that it wants to ‘protect the creation of uniquely British TV’.

• By zikalify
      Roku announces plans to expand into its second big European market
      by Paul Hill

The TV platform, Roku, has announced (via Reuters) its intention to expand into Germany later this year, making it the second big European market that it’ll be present in. Unlike the UK expansion, where it started out as the software partner for Hisense, it will immediately launch its own hardware in the German market.

Speaking to Reuters, the executive leading Roku’s international expansion, Arthur van Rest, said that there’s a ‘very big secular shift to streaming’ and that this trend is only being sped up by the pandemic that gripped the world last year and is still making itself known with rising case numbers in many countries.

He went on to say:

When Roku launches its hardware in Germany, it will come with apps and content from local partners including Seven.One Entertainment Group, RTL Deutschland, and Sky Deutschland. Of course, other services such as Netflix, Amazon’s Prime Video and Disney+ will be available for those who subscribe to those services.

In the UK, Roku's streaming players come in four variations: Express, Express 4K, Streaming Stick+, and Streambar. Prices range from £29.99 to £129.99 which works out to around €35 and €150 respectively – these are the prices we could see when Roku arrives in Germany later this year.

• By zikalify
      LG announces launch of LG QNED Mini LED premium TVs
      by Paul Hill

LG has announced that it will be rolling out its newest TVs in July that use Quantum Dot NanoCell colour and Mini LED backlight technologies to deliver a premium experience. The new 2021 LCD TVs will deliver deeper blacks, more accurate colour reproduction, and greater contrast and brightness.

The line-up of LG QNED Mini LED TVs consists of the 8K QNED99 and QNED95 series along with the 4K QNED90 series with screen sizes ranging from 65 inches to 86 inches. Aside from the aforementioned improvements in picture quality, these TVs are certified by the product testing agency Intertek to provide 100 percent colour volume and colour consistency. They also eliminate any colour distortion across wide viewing angles so they should be great to watch no matter where you’re sitting in a room.

Commenting on the new TVs, Park Hyoung-sei, president of the LG Home Entertainment Company, said:

LG said that the new displays will be available in North America initially before coming to additional regions around the world in the following weeks. LG didn’t state the prices for the TVs but as they’re premium, expect them to be expensive.

• By hellowalkman
      The Roku Express 4K+ 2021 model is currently selling at a nice discount
      by Sayan Sen

The Roku Express 4K+ 2021, which is the latest model of the type, is currently selling at a discounted price on the Amazon US website. The product is being sold for just $29.99 which is 25% lower than its original launch MSRP.

Roku launched the pair of the newest Express models in April this year. As is usually the tradition, the remote on the Express 4K+ variant features dedicated voice control and search button while the standard non-plus' remote doesn't have that option. In terms of specs, it is tiny. The player is 0.8 in (20.8 mm) high, 3.4 in (86.3 mm) wide, 1.5 in (39.3 mm) deep, and weighs just 1.6 ounces (44.6 g).

Feature-wise, the Roku Express 4K+ runs the new Roku OS 10. As is evident from the name, the player can stream 4K / UHD content. Even if the content isn't 4K itself while your TV is, the Roku device is able to upscale 720p and 1080p stuff to 4K. It also supports HDR10 and HDR10+, as well as Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG). Sadly there is no support for Dolby Vision on this.

Likewise in the audio department, Dolby Atmos is also missing. It does however feature Dolby audio pass-through as well as DTS Digital Surround pass-through over HDMI. And it works with popular voice assistants including Siri, Alexa, and Hey Google. The Roku Express 4K+ is compatible with AirPlay 2 screen-mirroring and sharing.

There's good news for console gamers since the Roku devices feature a Game Mode that automatically switches on certain gaming-related features which include:

Auto Low-Latency Mode, Variable Refresh Rate, HDR gaming, and more. Of course, streaming wouldn't be possible without some decent wireless connectivity and the Roku Express 4K+ packs 802.11ac dual-band Wi-Fi.

As an Amazon Associate, Neowin may earn commission from qualifying purchases

• By zikalify
      Google announces next steps for YouTube TV on Roku devices
      by Paul Hill

Google has announced that it has added YouTube TV directly into its YouTube app so that users on Roku devices can continue to access the streaming platform. It comes after Roku pulled YouTube TV from its platform’s store following a failure between the firms to renew their distribution agreement.

To access YouTube TV from the YouTube app, just click “Go to YouTube TV” in the sidebar on the main app. If you don’t see it yet, be on the lookout for an update to the app in the coming days. Google said it will expand the feature to as many devices as it can over time.

The search giant said that it’s still working to come to an agreement with Roku so that customers can continue to access the streaming service, however, in a statement published by The Verge, Roku is not happy about what Google has done, branding Google an “unchecked monopolist bent on crushing fair competition”.

To ensure that customers can continue to access YouTube TV on Roku, Google has also begun discussions with partners to secure free streaming devices on the off chance that Roku finds a way to prevent access to YouTube TV on its platform. On a separate note, Google said it’s also working with Roku to introduce minimum technical requirements for Roku devices so that YouTube delivers a high-quality and consistent experience for users.