My 7 year old 42inch LCD finally got an upgrade!

My 7 year old Olevia 42 inch LT42HVI has finally been replaced. Back in 2006 I purchased the 42 inch TV for $1,228 which included a 3 year warranty. Looking back that was still a hell of a deal back in 2006.

Ever since I bought it I had used it as a gloried computer monitor. It?s been hooked up to a HTC PC pretty much since I bought it with the occasional Xbox 360.

Looking back the TV tuner sucked balls, it would take at least 5 seconds per channel change, it was slow.

So yesterday I decided to upgrade my TV to a Vizio 70 inch. WOW, what a step up! I had considered buying the Sharp 80 inch, but seeing how 4k will be coming out within the next few years I didn?t want to spend that much on a TV. So far the 70 inch is plenty.

XBMC looks beautiful. So does the content. SD looks better than expected, and of course HD looks great. I still have to swap graphics cards (move the one in my HTC to my workstation and vice versa) and try some PC gaming on this giant. I think it will be wild!

congrats, I wish my entertainment center was able to fit a 65-70 inch tv but 60 was my max so I settled on a 55". I upgraded from a 3 or 4 year old lcd and was still impressed at the increase in quality..

Need to get a 55 now from my current 42 as well. Don't need more than that but congrats on the upgrade! That must have been sweet the first time you fired her up!

I actually upgraded my bedroom one (same Olevia actually!) With a 50- inch HiSense from good ol wally world! led 1080p smart also for 648. Looks really good also, I was pleasantly surprised! Nexflix streams really well over the built in wireless, and pop a usb drive on to it with .mkv files, good to go! Reads .mkv ootb!

I am not sure I would want anything larger than my existing 47in LED television, I picked it up back in 2009 for $750 on clearance.

• 3 weeks later...

So yesterday I decided to upgrade my TV to a Vizio 70 inch. WOW, what a step up!

Honestly, if I were to have bought an LED TV instead of a plasma this time around, I'd have gone with Vizio. For what they offer in terms of quality compared to their competitors, it's almost a no brainer. Sure they don't match some of the higher end models but it's a fraction of the cost! Vizio sure has come a long way from when they first started and I'm very pleased to see that.

Their VHT 215 soundbar even beat out some 400 dollar Samsung and 700 dollar Harmon Kardons in a budget soundbar shootout. No idea when 400 and 700 dollars became budget but hey!

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations! I moved into my new home and decided to get a new TV. So, I bought a 55" LG border less smart 3D TV. It looked good standing on the media center table, but once I hung it up and sat on the couch it looked tiny. I ended up returning it and grabbing a 70" sharp and loving the experience!

• 1 month later...

Congrats. Man it's like an IMAX sitting that close to your TV :) How much space between you sitting down and the TV? They have distance rules for size(which I do not follow) but I do believe it's a start at times. :) 

Enjoy it and don't go blind with the extra large pron :) 

hey Warwagon  i noticed you got  a  sega dreamcast  how about  booting that console up and trying it out on such  a new TV see how it looks 

Dreamcast pretty much looks like butt cheese on an LCD TV / Monitor unless you have the dreamcast VGA adaptor, in which case I heard it actually looks pretty good. I don't have that.

Nice, 70" is huge. My living room (in an apartment) can only fit 42-47" comfortably. I have a 42" LED 1080p and happy with it. TV's have gotten dirt cheap!

• 2 weeks later...

What are you doing with the small TV at top of the TV? 

That is a secondary monitor hooked into my HTPC which just displays my security cameras. So I can see when customers / or anyone else arrives while watching TV.

That is a secondary monitor hooked into my HTPC which just displays my security cameras. So I can see when customers / or anyone else arrives while watching TV.

Are you a dealer?

Congrats on your new TV. I got 55" Sony Bravia in 2008 or 2009, that was huge then but i swear it has shrunk. Damn that was expensive too back then, around 5000 ?. :/