Adblock plus is coming to IE!

Don't know if this is on anyone radar already, but Adblock Plus is indeed coming to IE. Although plans have been pushed back considerably due to IE's nature of only supporting native code (c++) for extensions.

The main developers are pretty quiet about it though. I guess they don't want to make any announcement promises. You can follow the thread on their forum for progress here: https://adblockplus....php?f=1&t=11572

They are digging deep into Windows for the APIs they needed to make ABP for IE performs on the same level or exceed Firefox's ABP. Since it's native coding, they could make it to perform faster than Firefox theoretically. I suggested they use Crossrider APIs, but one of the developer said Crossrider doesn't have the necessary APIs they need for ABP for IE.

Their benchmark would be MGTEK's Adblock IE, but that's a paid solution. It does support ABP syntax and performs as fast as Firefox's ABP in my test with it. There are some minor issues with syntax compatibility and they have their own proprietary syntaxes too.

Anyhow, I've only just found it out yesterday and really excited for IE's future. I'm already using IE quite alot now with ABIE. I hope Microsoft is working on an extension engine to make it easier to develop extensions for IE11 though, because Trident is beating Gecko to pulp and it renders webpages faster in my experience. IE just need some of the extensions from Firefox and I could ditch Firefox.

• Like 2

if you're NOT working on retarded (RT) ecosystem,

and you are techie enough (know RegEx, know HTML, know .js, know .css),

I would recommend the classic & free proxomitron for filtering need.

AdBlock is already on IE....

If you're talking about TPL, then yes, but it is very limited in functionality and doesn't filter traffic from Flash and other plugins. TPL also doesn't collapses ads boxes.

I would recommend the classic & free proxomitron for filtering need.

Can Proxomition filter HTTPS traffic?

edit: the app looks like it's back to the mid 90s. Adfender is a local proxy and it support ABP syntax. It's a better solution for system wide filtering imo.

Ever since IE got better support for CSS, I've been using a custom stylesheet to set the display properties on all ads to none. In conjunction with TPLs, things have been working fairly smoothly.

Ever since IE got better support for CSS, I've been using a custom stylesheet to set the display properties on all ads to none. In conjunction with TPLs, things have been working fairly smoothly.

Can you share the custom stylesheet?

Wow, the devs keep themselves busy!

After getting ABP for Chrome on track, they start to go into IE.

Finally a good (i.m.o) extension for IE.

Hope its an extension and not a standalone proxy application,

Used Proxomitron back in the days of Win95 and I was obsessed to make sure it starts only when I start IE and close when I close IE.

That funky triangle with an eye icon made an impression :p

Now a happy Chrome user.

IE TPL (I use fanboy's) do not block all advertisements - they only work 100% with conjuration of a hosts file adblock (Search for 'malware hosts' on Google).

I couldn't give a rats arse about collapsing divs when advertisements were though.

I currently use a HOST file and a TPL filter to block ads on IE, and it blocks 99% of ads, even youtube ads.

• Like 3

how to use it?

thx

If you're running windows 8 (if not ignore the following step):

You're going to have to open Windows Defender and add the HOST file to the exceptions. Once you have Defender open, go to the settings tab. Afterwards, go to the "Excluded files and locations" column. You want to browse to "C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts", click Add, and then save.

-------------

You want to open Notepad as administrator and open the HOST located in "C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts". Overwrite the content of the file with the text here (http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt). Save the file and restart your computer. You should see that there's no more ads (for the most part) on any application.

Follow the directions on the site - or if you know how to open up the HOST File in notepad - just select the entries and copy and past.

Thank you guys! Just one question.. TPL is working great for me but it does not block Hungarian ads on facebook! It is very annoying. Is there a way to make it happen? Also host file method does not seem to be working with Hungarian ads.

Thanks

Doesn't a huge hosts file slow down browsing or is it a myth?

My browsing seems fine here. The host file isn't meant to block websites. The hosts file is use to map IP addresses of remote/local hosts. The host file is mainly use to block website by making it look for the site on a different IP, however you can still access the site if you know the direct IP. It just prevents navigation to the address, it shouldn't slow down your browsing experience.

Doesn't a huge hosts file slow down browsing or is it a myth?

Ad Muncher works for me whenever I use IE (which is not that often), but it isn't free.

It does, I witnessed it myself.

Stahp! STAHP! You evil freeloaders!

Every time you block popups, popunders and those innocent, gigantic, loud and screen-filling sometimes-inappropriate video ads you make webmasters cry!

how to use it?

thx

I built a small application to load different ad related host file configurations, if you would like to try it or check it out, let me know.

kyI2nXi.png

• Like 2

Internet Explorer really needs some sort of 'native' addon system, alike Firefox/Chrome/Opera. Most IE extensions require installing them as a normal application and even then they're not well integrated into the browser. There needs to be a 'one-click' and you're done type system.