Xbox One and Design: Perspective from the Xbox One Design Team

The design is actually starting to grow on me. I've been saying for a long time, that I wish console makers would use the Hi-Fi form factor, so that they can better fit in with the rest of my gear.

I understand that there would be a lot of wasted space, and less opportunity for iconic design, but having a bunch of oddly shaped boxes, really doesn't look good in most settings.

So while the X1 isn't as wide as standard Hi-Fi equipment, I think it will blend in a lot easier.

As for the Kinect... Not happy about having that bulky crap sitting in front of a wall mounted version of this...

lg-lm680t-series-g75922b.jpg

I'm also worried about how much noise these things are going to make. That was a real problem for me last gen, though I managed to silence my own boxes before the quieter revisions were released.

The design is actually starting to grow on me. I've been saying for a long time, that I wish console makers would use the Hi-Fi form factor, so that they can better fit in with the rest of my gear.

I understand that there would be a lot of wasted space, and less opportunity for iconic design, but having a bunch of oddly shaped boxes, really doesn't look good in most settings.

So while the X1 isn't as wide as standard Hi-Fi equipment, I think it will blend in a lot easier.

As for the Kinect... Not happy about having that bulky crap sitting in front of a wall mounted version of this...

lg-lm680t-series-g75922b.jpg

I'm also worried about how much noise these things are going to make. That was a real problem for me last gen, though I managed to silence my own boxes before the quieter revisions were released.

my TV is actually an LG8600 pretty sweet TV. my cable box is resting right below it between the stand. I'm thinking to put the Xbox One right there between the stand as long as I can access the blue ray drive then the rest of the console just doesn't need to be seen. this is going be so sweet.

I am not too worried about design as such. My FiOS box is one of ugliest pieces in my TV setup and I hardly ever look at it because it disappears into the setup. My Xbox 360S too kind of disappears (being black etc) and if I end up getting One, I guess the only thing I will see is the front panel.

This is my TV unit (as Ikea calls it). TV+Receiver on top and Xbox+STB below them. I can imagine ONE blending in nicely.

post-62693-0-91589700-1370016578.jpg

my TV is actually an LG8600 pretty sweet TV. my cable box is resting right below it between the stand. I'm thinking to put the Xbox One right there between the stand as long as I can access the blue ray drive then the rest of the console just doesn't need to be seen. this is going be so sweet.

Mine is an LG 47LM670T. Have to say, I ****ing love it :woot:

• Like 1