A (tenuous) glimmer of hope

Reddit user: veul

Just an idea here. Why not allow there to be a Xbox Live option to allow "offline" mode, but it disables any family sharing? Like

"If Xbox One hasn't connected in 24 hrs: [] Disable game & Allow Sharing [] Enable Game & Disallow Sharing"

Major Nelson

I'd have to check w/ the engineers, but I don't see why that would not be possible.

Sounds like a simple, workable solution to me. A step in the right direction.

If they could just sort out the used games bull**** too, we could put all this negativity behind us, or has the damage been done, and it's too late?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1geknm/major_nelson_responds_to_some_tough_drm_and_xbone/cajkl31

Seeing how we have till November, or rather, MS has till November, all these "issues" are software related and can be tweaked/changed at any point.

Agreed, but I wonder what disc based authentication they have in place already. I mean, if the discs are just a physical distribution medium for a digital download, then I wonder if/why they would have any costly (to develop) security measures implemented at all at this stage?

If they haven't already got any, then it's going to be a lot more complicated than you might first have thought.

Or is it easier than I think to just "drop in" a tweaked version of what they currently use on the 360?

A lot of damage has been done to the image of the Xbox One brand. Microsoft has time to recover but they need to start now or risk losing sales by word of mouth. It'll be like Windows Vista all over again. It was a great OS but consumers perceived it negatively. They did an experiment where they pretended to show off a new version of Windows, called Mojave, that was Vista in disguise. Consumers liked it and it showed that people's recognition of a brand is just as important as the quality of the product.

Right now, Sony are seen as the good guys. Even if Microsoft gets rid of the once-every-24-hours requirement and lifts the restrictions on used games, there will be people that still see the Xbox One negatively. It's unfortunate but Microsoft are mostly to blame for this. They could have handled it better.

A lot of damage has been done to the image of the Xbox One brand. Microsoft has time to recover but they need to start now or risk losing sales by word of mouth. It'll be like Windows Vista all over again. It was a great OS but consumers perceived it negatively. They did an experiment where they pretended to show off a new version of Windows, called Mojave, that was Vista in disguise. Consumers liked it and it showed that people's recognition of a brand is just as important as the quality of the product.

Right now, Sony are seen as the good guys. Even if Microsoft gets rid of the once-every-24-hours requirement and lifts the restrictions on used games, there will be people that still see the Xbox One negatively. It's unfortunate but Microsoft are mostly to blame for this. They could have handled it better.

Couldn't agree more.

We need a "like" button asap. :)

While the disc is just to install the game to the hdd I don't see why you couldn't require a disc check as you do now on the 360 if you can't get a internet connection. I remember something about the discs having a security code on them as well, and they'd have to otherwise what stops you from buying a game, installing it, then giving your disc to a friend to install if all the disc is is basically the bits without some type of security check?

I somehow think that, like with the 360 itself, the first block/volume/sector w/e of the disc holds the security bits, somewhere/somehow, that part spits out a unique code when you go to install the game, that code is then checked online to see if it's been used in another installation. If not, then it will install and tie it to you etc, otherwise it'll ask you to pay for it.

If it's how I think, then just asking for you to put the disc back in should be fine, and at the same time blocking sharing of your library till you can connect online again.

Just allowing users to switch to a offline mode sounds good but without a disc side security of some sort what stops people from just passing around and installing a game then keeping it offline? Unless, again, the initial install has to happen online, in which case it's fine then because the piracy check happens at install time.

They have damaged the Xbox brand pretty badly over last month (since reveal) and the miscommunication is pure incompetence. I always thought that the Xbox team was one of the most ant-Microsoft teams they had but no more. My opinion started turning around when they shipped the horrible Xbox apps with Windows 8. They have simply lost touch with their user base.

Every passing day they are losing mind share and that's even worse than market share. The sooner the bean counters realize this, the better it is for Xbox in general.

Completely right. MS has had a lot of PR stumbles over the years. This looks like another big one. 

I think they're keeping quiet about a number of things because Xbox is going to be big at BUILD next week, on the 26th. The whole indie developer bit should be a big surprise to many, I bet it'll be a case of if you make a game for Windows 8 then you can make one for the Xbox One as well. Now if you still need a publisher to be a "LIVE" supported game then that's a different matter. Live Arcade games have always needed a few things more than indie games, so nothing new.

Seeing how we have till November, or rather, MS has till November, all these "issues" are software related and can be tweaked/changed at any point.

"Software" and "infrastructure" are too completely different things. But, I'm with everyone else. This would fix the biggest issue I have wit the Xbone, and if they did something like this, I would more inclined to buy one.