Adblock Plus for Internet Explorer is here

Adblock Plus for Internet Explorer is here

The popular advertisement blocker Adblock Plus has been released as a preview version for Microsoft's Internet Explorer by the developers of the application. The release brings the popular browser extension to all major browsers on the Windows operating system.

The preview version is somewhat limited in comparison but that is understandable. It is available as a 32-bit and 64-bit version that you can download and install just like any other program on your system.

Internet Explorer will display a notification about the installation on next start. The browser does not enable third party extensions by default unless you explicitly do so.

If you missed that option, click on the settings icon and select manage add-ons from the menu to do so at a later point in time. The program is listed under Toolbars and Extensions as Adblock Plus for IE  Browser Helper Object by Eyeo GMBH.

adblock-plus-for-IE.png

Note that the extension adds an icon to the status bar that is not visible by default. You do receive a notification about that on the next browser start after you have enabled the extension. To enable it right away, right-click on the title bar of the browser and select the status bar option from here.

A left-click on the icon opens the configuration menu in a new tab. Here it is possible to subscribe to one of the adblocking lists and to disable ad blocking on select websites.

adblock-plus-internet-explorer.png

What Adblock Plus for Internet Explorer offers at this point in time is actually pretty similar to the browser's own Tracking Protection feature. Here you can also subscribe to lists that block advertisement on the Internet.

One needs to keep in mind though that the tracking protection list may also include servers and services that are whitelisted, so that advertisement served are always displayed in the browser.

The developers of Adblock Plus for Internet Explorer have not posted compatibility information. The version worked fine on a 64-bit Internet Explorer 10 version.

http://www.ghacks.net/2013/06/19/adblock-plus-for-internet-explorer-is-here/

Toyed with it in a sandbox for a few..  it's a good start but missing a lot of the functionality from the original yet, even moreso than Chromium's version.  On the plus side it's actually able to hide the spots where the ads used to be, and you can somewhat manually edit the list. It's mentioned in the "stuff we know about" list, but yea the filtering engine tends to not want to shut down.   Long way to go but definitely not bad for something that's not even a first version beta yet.

Cool, but who use Internet explorer anymore ?

Quite a few people do actually.  (Although I'm not one of them.)

Should be in back page news imo...

Shouldn't be at all on Neowin?

Advertisement Blocking.

Glorifying the fact in posts here on Neowin is strictly forbidden. We understand that some members could not care less to display advertisements on any website, and therefore block a stream of revenue that is required to keep this site running. We can not do much about that but please do not glorify the fact.

We have a subscription package that professionally removes all advertisements from Neowin for a small annual fee. We never ask members to click advertisements, and for those that do; we greatly appreciate this. Simply allowing the advertisement to load (without clicking on it) also returns revenue for the site. If you feel that you can not whitelist Neowin or afford the subscription but would like to contribute, you are very welcome to donate via PayPal to subscribe@neowin.net and make a post here.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?module=extras&section=boardrules

I would argue against that point if I could be bothered, I understand that ads help, I understand why they're there, but it should be my choice as to whether I want to see them or not, I haven't installed it, but that's because I ignore them anyway, but as A user I should be allowed, or at least be made aware of something that has become available that has a purpose of blocking the very thing I'm ignoring. (yes I see the irony in my statement)

Shouldn't be at all on Neowin?

Not talking about blocking ads on Neowin...just that adblock plus is available for IE.  Now if someone was discussing how they use adblock to block Neowin ads, then that would be against the rules.

• Like 1