VGLeaks: Details about Playstation 4 OS development

We have some details about the development of the Playstation 4 OS.

The Operating System is called ?Orbis OS?. It is a modified version of FreeBSD 9.0.

We aren?t sure if this will bring again the ?Other OS? functions to Playstation 4 (remember that this option enabled Playstation 3 to install other OS in the console like linux or windows).

When you boot up a second-gen development kit, you will be prompted with several options, as you can see in the next captures:

310.jpg

More options appear when you choose startup settings:

410.jpg

As you can imagine you have either a console mode or a graphic mode (the one you will see in a retail Playstation 4).

Here you can see some images of the console mode and some of the files/directories in the devkit:

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

We?ll try to add more information in the future.

Source: http://www.vgleaks.com/some-details-about-playstation-4-os-development/

Interesting to know. I'm really looking forward to seeing or reading about the UX for the PS4. Hopefully we won't have to wait long since there is only "4" more months left to release.

*smh*

The PS2 dev kits had red hat systems on them, it doesn't mean the final console runs red hat or freebsd, all it means is that's the OS they're using for the debugging on the actual dev kit side.

Ugh, I hope that's not the final UI. Looks like a mess! Sony needs to hire some better UX designers.

The UI/UX, exclusives and Kinect is why I'm getting the Xbox One.

But the PS3 UI was kinda cool in itself due to it being generally more responsive than the Xbox 360's. That said, there the possability that

the PS4 will have a bit different looking UI at launch. And Sony could still push some updates in the future as well.

There is zero details about the development of the PS4 OS here, there some screenshots of some Linux files and the dev kit boot loader. That's not details of anything, it might not even be related to the PS4 OS at all. As was stated earlier the PS3 dev kits ran red hat.

When the thread title says details about the PS4 OS, I expected something a lot more interesting than this :/

There is zero details about the development of the PS4 OS here, there some screenshots of some Linux files and the dev kit boot loader. That's not details of anything, it might not even be related to the PS4 OS at all. As was stated earlier the PS3 dev kits ran red hat.

When the thread title says details about the PS4 OS, I expected something a lot more interesting than this :/

Gotcha. VGLeaks is a reliable source though, so I look forward to seeing more.

Gotcha. VGLeaks is a reliable source though, so I look forward to seeing more.

I'll second that. I've been using VGLeaks a lot and everything they've said has been pretty much right. They were the ones who leaked all the specifications for the consoles, got Mirrors Edge 2 right, The Club etc etc.

To be honest, it's not quite the engineering feat if they're using a modified unix build. I would of expected something a bit grand.

The PS3 has numerous mentions FreeBSD based applications & modules in the credits so highly plausible they're using it to develop with.

I seriously doubt they are going to let you run your own OS with this.  The only way I would see this happening is via USB stick and I doubt that as well.  The days of installing another OS is over (unless you successfully hack it of course). 

^^ I don't think this topic is suggesting Sony is going to allow "Other OS" option.

I thought that was the point of the article?  Did I miss something?

I think that is just random speculation on the part of the article's author. I highly, highly doubt Sony will offer that option again.