Can't Update to Windows 8.1 Preview (Windows Store update)

for some of you having problems,try doing a refresh then try the install again.

Like hell we will you loose all non store applications! = Im sure most of them for most people on here.

I get the same funny text when trying to update through the store.

Mounting the ISO and attempting the install from there wants me to do a clean install, which I don't want to do so looks like no 8.1 preview for me :(

Well although I didn't really want to I ended up doing a refresh and than the update worked fine. You loose all your installed desktop programs if you do a refresh which kind of sucks but I didn't have really that many so it didn't matter too much.

Originally from Nivin.........worked fine for me...well done.

Okay, the problem here seems to be the original language that Windows was in was not EN-US. Here are a few steps that worked for me:

Navigate over to:
 Control Panel\Clock, Language and Region\Language

(Can just search for "language" in settings / Win+w)

and add new language which is English (United States). Go into the options of this new language and download and install language pack. A system restart is prompted, BUT WAIT. Not just yet.

Go into the registry editor (run regedit,exe) and navigate to HKey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Language and change the "InstallLanguage" string at the very bottom of the right pane to the value 0409 which is EN-US.

(You can remember what it was originally if you want to change it back after installation)

Now reboot.

After reboot, just run the update file from preview.windows.com and voila...

If you're like me who couldn't wait another day for the ISOs, enjoy.

Anyone with a Samsung ativ SmartPC 500T notice a intel driver update yet?  I'm waiting for that before I try to install the preview.

Cant install the update on a surface rt keeps giving the "this update os not applicable to your computer" and when I force it to install using dism I get garbled text in the 8.1 page on the store and it appears to say the 8.1 update is not available right now please try again.

bungled update it seems, uh what a pain.

edit found out what's happening its due to the language pack being English uk, this is only for surface rt's bought in the usa

Try this:

http://www.askvg.com/fix-the-update-is-not-applicable-to-your-computer-error-message-while-installing-windows-8-1-preview-from-store/

Additionally, a potential fix for Windows 8.1 update notification not appearing

Reset the Microsoft Store Cache

a. Press Windows key + Q.

b. In the Search box type WSReset.exe and hit enter.

That should reset your cache for the store.

Now try the download

J W Stuart

Source: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1_pr-windows_install/windows-81-not-in-the-windows-store/5e32df2c-bb44-4db0-ae0c-2d89baf8e786?page=6

This is Microsoft's explanation why it doesn't work

?The base language of your OS (the language chosen during setup) is outside one of the 13 supported languages for Windows 8.1 Preview. Please note that any other language or non-specified version (such as English (United Kingdom) and Portuguese (Portugal)) are not included among the supported languages,? Microsoft explains.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-8-1-Preview-Not-Working-on-All-Computers-363653.shtml

weird thing is though its produced hundreds of beta's etc. for en-gb why change now.

**update**

try this

Go into the registry editor (run regedit,exe) and navigate to HKey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Language and change the "InstallLanguage" string at the very bottom of the right pane to the value 0409 which is EN-US.

post-149938-0-18611400-1372332567.png

Okay, the problem here seems to be the original language that Windows was in was not EN-US. Here are a few steps that worked for me:

Navigate over to:

and add new language which is English (United States). Go into the options of this new language and download and install language pack. A system restart is prompted, BUT WAIT. Not just yet.

(You can remember what it was originally if you want to change it back after installation)

Now reboot.

This solution works perfectly,  it installed the update and I'm now 2/3 the way through downloading the preview from the store.  Thanks xx

You don't need to do the first step only

You don't need to do the first step only

Thanks will give this a try when i get home. Was stuck on the garbled store message last night. 

This fixes the garbled text but im still getting "the windows rt 8.1 preview isn't available right now please try again later

Oops, I didn't even bother checking the URL. Installed the KB but I'm getting a 0x80240031 error when I download the preview from the store. Help, anyone? (Tried WSReset to no avail)

The store could just be getting hammered and nothing more.  If you fixed the text/language issue and you're not one of the devices that has to wait for Intel to put out a new Atom driver update then that should be the only issue.   You'll just have to wait a bit and try again to download it.

Im on a surface rt with the text / language issue fixed its nothing to do with drivers. There must be some other language check in the store. Cant believe they don't support en-gb WTF

Navigate over to:

Now reboot.

Followed these instructions and all is well, it is downloading from the store now :D

Followed these instructions and all is well, it is downloading from the store now :D

I've tried this still wont work, might have a proper go at it tonight

Okay so I was just about to post "YES changing my base language to EN US worked use the reg hack" the update file works that way, I got no prompt to install the 8.1 update but it is now showing as it should in proper English in the store but I click download and it is just saying basically it can't be downloaded right now. I give up for now.

They'll have a language fix out soon, probably some small update/patch you install via WU first.  It shouldn't take long for those who don't want to do a full clean install.

They'll have a language fix out soon, probably some small update/patch you install via WU first.  It shouldn't take long for those who don't want to do a full clean install.

Yer I might for the final not for a preview.

I've tried this still wont work, might have a proper go at it tonight

When you installed the language pack did you tell windows to use it as the display language?