Pls critique my new build thread ?1163250

Ola!

The time has come to retire my five-year old Q9450 system. It was sort of an experiment with a Gigabyte motherboard - never again!

It's still a good system and I'll just move it to my in-laws place so I can play games there :D And I need a new, more powerful PC at home in order to satisfy my urge to learn ArchiCAD! (and to game, of course) 

So, here are the parts I'm considering to purchase at the moment:
  • Corsair AX860 PSU
  • Asus Z87-DELUXE/DUAL motherboard
  • Intel 4770K
  • Asus GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5 (I've decided to switch this time after having spent a decade with Radeon)
  • Two Corsair Vengeance 8Gb each RAM sticks CMZ16GX3M2A2400C10
  • OCZ RevoDrive3 X2 PCI Express SSD RVD3X2-FHPX4-240G (system drive, if I can make it bootable :D)
  • Two OCZ Vertex 4 128GB each in RAID 1 (work drive)
  • Two Western Digital VelociRaptors 1TB each in RAID1 (storage @ 10,000RPM)

As for the case, I'm upgrading from Thermaltake Xaser XI - this is my second Xaser and maybe the fifth consecutive Thermaltake case overall - so I'm sort of dumping this company too. Currently, my options are:
  • Lian Li PC-V750B Black
  • Zalman GS1200
  • Corsair Obsidian 800D
  • SilverStone TJ10B-W Black

Any thoughts?

Very nice system - with some very fast storage. If your budget allows, go for it (why else would you list it otherwise). What about a video  card - are you planning to use the integrated Intel graphics or a dedicated card? If you want to game and do ArchiCAD, you'll be far better off with a dedicated video card... Haven't had any experiences with those cases, so I don't have any input. Cases are very subjective, so that's all you :P

Very nice system - with some very fast storage. If your budget allows, go for it (why else would you list it otherwise). What about a video  card - are you planning to use the integrated Intel graphics or a dedicated card? If you want to game and do ArchiCAD, you'll be far better off with a dedicated video card... Haven't had any experiences with those cases, so I don't have any input. Cases are very subjective, so that's all you :p

I agree. And even more, if you want even better cooling, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209049 it's only 55$ (After the MiR, hate those, but still).

If you go with the 4770k, don't use the stock cooler. I was getting idle temps at 150F and Prime95 temps at 200F+

Went with this cooler - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005O65JXI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Idle temps 88F to 95F and Prime95 temp maxes around 155F

Very nice system - with some very fast storage. If your budget allows, go for it (why else would you list it otherwise). What about a video  card - are you planning to use the integrated Intel graphics or a dedicated card? If you want to game and do ArchiCAD, you'll be far better off with a dedicated video card... Haven't had any experiences with those cases, so I don't have any input. Cases are very subjective, so that's all you :p

I agree. And even more, if you want even better cooling, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209049 it's only 55$ (After the MiR, hate those, but still).

Thanks, guys!

Yeap, the GPU is the ASUS GTX770 :) Despite the fact that Radeon 7970 performs better in some AutoCad tests, I've decided to go with GTX770 because it's more efficient and cooler, or so they say :D

As for the cooling, I'll probably go with Zalman heatsinks. I haven't decided yet. I may give watercooling a chance.

Deciding on the case has caused me the biggest head-ache yet. Has anyone used any of the ones I've listed?

Might you be interested in this case? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163213

I just got this case and as far as air cooling, this case is incredible. The 3 giant fans on the bottom push a lot of air up and out. And is amazingly quiet.

Yeah, the Ravens are good. I've actually considered this model too.  It reminds me of a Vertu phone :D 

Doesn't look that bad - is there a specific reason you wanted the Velociraptors?

As for case -- using a Corsair 650D right now and I wouldn't go with any other case (maybe except for a Fractal Design XL R2 - but I'm a sucker for minimalistic cases)

Doesn't look that bad - is there a specific reason you wanted the Velociraptors?

Yes, there is. I'm hungry for the speed ... hot, nasty, bad-ass speed  :woot: even when it comes to my archive drive, I want to be able to write and access that data fast.

As for case -- using a Corsair 650D right now and I wouldn't go with any other case (maybe except for a Fractal Design XL R2 - but I'm a sucker for minimalistic cases)

Yes, I want to go minimal this time too. 

I prefer a full-tower because of the additional space, but this 650D model actually has plenty of internal drive bays.

Thanks for the suggestion! It makes the most sense for me to go with a Corsair case, since I'm already getting their PSU and RAM. (I like to have as few suppliers as possible so my PC doesn't look like a brand name fest). 

If you want full tower as stated in your OP the 800D is just a full tower version of the 650D.

Any reason why you're going with the Vertex 4 instead of the 4.5 or Vector?

Looks like throwing a lot of money out of the window. You didn't mention overclocking and didn't add a custom cooler, but you're spending several hundreds on advanced overclocking features for the motherboard, high performance RAM, and a hugely overkill PSU for a single GPU build. If you're not going to overclock, get a basic 150$ motherboard (If you have to go ASUS for some esoteric reasons, get the Z87-Plus), DDR3 1600 RAM and the i4770 non-K. Also drop the PSU to a ~600W quality part. You can always give the money to charity if it's really burning your pockets. :p

Even if you're going to overclock, you don't need the most expensive motherboard for that. Is there anything in particular you're looking for in the Deluxe model? It's just as likely to fail as any other Z87 motherboard on the market, actually given that it has many more parts than usual it's technically more likely to fail. A much better value in the ASUS Z87 lineup is the MAXIMUS VI HERO.

The ASUS DirectCU II GTX 770 is good, but the MSI Gaming TwinFrozr IV version of the same card is even better, being dead silent even under load.

Is there any reason you're going for the OCZ RevoDrive3 rather than a Samsung 840 Pro which is basically the fastest SSD drive right now?

I own a higher priced motherboard and I don't feel my money is wasted, I did my homework before I built and my research indicated that it did make a difference.

If you want full tower as stated in your OP the 800D is just a full tower version of the 650D.

Yes, I think I'm gonna get the 800D. I llike its back CPU door - it makes it possible to swap CPU cooler without removing the motherboard :D

91432_8.jpg

Any reason why you're going with the Vertex 4 instead of the 4.5 or Vector?

Looking at the specs (128Gb models):

Max read:

Vector - 550 MB/s

Vertex 450 - 525 MB/s

Vertex 4 - 560 MB/s

Max write:

Vector - 400 MB/s

Vertex 450 - 290 MB/s

Vertex 4 - 430 MB/s

Max IOPS:

Vector - 95,000

Vertex 450 - 70,000

Vertex 4 - 90,000

MTBF

Vector - 1.3 million hours

Vertex 450 - n/a

Vertex 4 - 2 million hours

It's a marginal difference most of the time, but Vertex 4 is clearly the best one of the bunch.

You're kinda missing the point, the point being that random writes is the area where an SSD excels most, and in most benchmarks the Vector completely smokes those older drives, don't get sucked in by the contiguous write numbers and look at benchmarks instead.

As for the case, while I'm not very familiar with full towers, you should check out the Fractal Design Define XL R2. It's basically a larger version of the Define R4 which is a favorite of many pc builders for its great sound insulation, quality of materials and ease of assembly. A recent review states that the Define XL R2 "is truly the case to choose for quiet PC enthusiasts who makes no compromise in power and performance."

I can definitely vouch for the Define R4 - I just used mine in a Haswell build and it was a great case to work with. It is a very quiet case, and I'm pretty happy with it. I would only hope the Define XL R2 would stand up to that same reputation. 

As for the case, while I'm not very familiar with full towers, you should check out the Fractal Design Define XL R2. It's basically a larger version of the Define R4 which is a favorite of many pc builders for its great sound insulation, quality of materials and ease of assembly. A recent review states that the Define XL R2 "is truly the case to choose for quiet PC enthusiasts who makes no compromise in power and performance."

This really is a quiet case, I swapped out my Corsair Obsidian for this R4; can confirm it does indeed make a noticable difference.

Looks like throwing a lot of money out of the window. You didn't mention overclocking and didn't add a custom cooler, but you're spending several hundreds on advanced overclocking features for the motherboard, high performance RAM, and a hugely overkill PSU for a single GPU build.

Yes, I will be playing around with over-clocking )

As for the PSU, Corsair AX860 costs practically the same as AX760 does over here, so it was a no-brainer to get more power for a slight increase in price. And I may add a second GTX770 in the future.

Is there anything in particular you're looking for in the Deluxe model?

I want the latest and greatest toy, the most feature-rich motherboard :D as it's been five years since I assembled my current system.

I'm basically hooked on the bundled NFC pod ) I hope I can pair my HTC One with it )

It's just as likely to fail as any other Z87 motherboard on the market, actually given that it has many more parts than usual it's technically more likely to fail.

This is true. However, from my experience, if a motherboard's component fails, usually, just that chip will be affected. For example, speaking about my current Gigabyte X48-DQ6 mobo, its integrated network adapter died a month after the purchase and, six months later, its audio chip followed the suit. Fortunately, the motherboard wasn't entirely fried in either instances, but I agree that it was pretty close.

IMHO, it's more economical to get a premium all-inclusive motherboard than to buy and add extra components to a value-type board later down the road. It's a personal decision.

A much better value in the ASUS Z87 lineup is the MAXIMUS VI HERO.

I actually considered the EXTREME version, but I've since decided to go with DELUXE/DUAL because I've chosen the NFC reader over the OC panel.

Is there any reason you're going for the OCZ RevoDrive3 rather than a Samsung 840 Pro which is basically the fastest SSD drive right now?

You're kinda missing the point, the point being that random writes is the area where an SSD excels most, and in most benchmarks the Vector completely smokes those older drives, don't get sucked in by the contiguous write numbers and look at benchmarks instead.

(it would've been great if you guys provided links to those tests :D)

I initially dismissed Samsung 840 Pro because I had wrongly thought it was a TLC drive. It turns out it's the non-pro version which is TLC.

As for Vector, I didn't like that it was the company's first offering of a low-profile 7mm device so I was sort of prejudiced to think that it was a half-done technology.

So, these two go head-to-head against each other. They are both 7mm thick too. And Vertex 4 isn't far behind. Looking at this benchmark, the difference between them is marginal, but Samsung is still ahead. Xbitlabs, Anadtech and the others have also praised Samsung over OCZ...But, honestly, a split second advantage is just that, it's unnoticeable.

guru3d.com seems to be the only site to offer comprehensive benchmarks of all the drives I'm interested in presently (RevoDrive 3 X2, Vector, Samsung 840 Pro, Vertex 4, and Vertex 450).

I think I'm still going to stick with RevoDrive X2 in order to avoid SATA bottleneck and because it really breaks 1GB/s barrier whereas stand-alone hi-end SSDs reach ~500MB/s.

As for the heatsink, if you're going to overclock that is, I recommend the Noctua NH-U14S. It's a recent model that I found to be both one of the most silent and effective air coolers. See http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Noctua/NH-U14S/6.html

thanks! I'll look into it!

Basically, once you go full tower, you cannot go back )

I like Fractal Design, but, unfortunately, it looks like their full tower model is sold out in Russia (

I would recommend the Corsair 800D case and this cooler: http://www.corsair.com/us/cpu-cooling-kits/hydro-series-water-cooling-cpu-cooler/hydro-series-h100i-extreme-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler.html. There are top mounting points in the case for it.

This really is a quiet case, I swapped out my Corsair Obsidian for this R4; can confirm it does indeed make a noticable difference.

Thank you for your feedback, guys!

I'm still contemplating if I can sacrifice space for less noise...

That ASUS NFC Express costs 40$ if purchased separately. Consider buying a more reasonably priced motherboard and buying the NFC pod separately, unless you actually need two Thunderbolt ports, which is the only feature of note on the Deluxe/Dual; aside from that, the Z87-Pro pretty much matches it for 150$ less. The Maximus VI Hero has better audio for about the same price as the Pro and better overclocking features as well.

MSI, Gigabyte and Asrock all make excellent motherboards as well for Z87; I spent many hours researching motherboards recently (for my own build) and found that the ASUS lineup isn't particularly interesting for the price except for the fact that "it's ASUS" and some people apparently swear by that name. Excellent values include the MSI Z87-G45 and Z87X-GD65 Gaming motherboards, as well as the Gigabyte Z87X-UD3/4/5H and Gigabyte Z87X-OC. I personally ended up going for the GA-Z87X-UD3H.

That ASUS NFC Express costs 40$ if purchased separately. Consider buying a more reasonably priced motherboard and buying the NFC pod separately, unless you actually need two Thunderbolt ports, which is the only feature of note on the Deluxe/Dual; aside from that, the Z87-Pro pretty much matches it for 150$ less. The Maximus VI Hero has better audio for about the same price as the Pro and better overclocking features as well.

I want to spoil myself, but you insist I downsize! I'm j/k :D

There's another feature, which I didn't mention, but I still want to play with. It's called WiFiGo! and I want it for its remote desktop and DLNA hub abilities. It's probably utterly stupid.

As for the Maximus VI Hero, it lacks a built-in wi-fi adapter (and WiFiGo! obviously). And I also forgot to mention that I'll be carrying the old ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3 DELUXE audio card over to the new system.

So, Z87-EXPERT and MAXIMUS VI EXTREME offer the bare minimum I could downgrade to, but the thing is, I'm getting DELUXE/DUAL for about the same price. 

some people apparently swear by that name.

The brand loyalty is a powerful thing :)

I've been with Gigabyte for five years. I miss AsusTeK! 

And as you said it yourself earlier, a part of the reasoning here is esoteric  :blush:

I want to spoil myself, but you insist I downsize! I'm j/k :D

There's another feature, which I didn't mention, but I still want to play with. It's called WiFiGo! and I want it for its remote desktop and DLNA hub abilities. It's probably utterly stupid.

As for the Maximus VI Hero, it lacks a built-in wi-fi adapter (and WiFiGo! obviously). And I also forgot to mention that I'll be carrying the old ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3 DELUXE audio card over to the new system.

So, Z87-EXPERT and MAXIMUS VI EXTREME offer the bare minimum I could downgrade to, but the thing is, I'm getting DELUXE/DUAL for about the same price. 

Z87-Pro has Wi-FiGo! as well...