PS4?s digital library lets you play games anywhere

Doesn't excuse me for not making **** up you mean ? I'm sorry that I didn't make up any fake rumors to make the PS4 sound better. ok that better ?

Yeah because I want to get banned again after a months break.

That'd be the best way to do it but it also depends on the game right?  I mean how do you break up a open world type game?   Either way, once you hit the end of what you have you'll get kicked out in the end.  I don't see what else you can do, it'd be like a demo, spit you back to the main screen at best.

Even if it's open world, there I likely other content.  So basic models would be downloaded (maybe compressed/less textures) also potential for less models overall.  Depending on quest systems maybe only certain NPCs are loaded.   

So, basically works like it does now, except you don't have to wait for the game to be fully downloaded because you can start it.

It means basically its doing the same thing that Microsoft wanted to without the DRM restrictions.

Well, the DRM restrictions are there in terms of not only being able to do this with one console at the same time. At least, I think in the PS3 developers have always had the possibility to block concurrent instances of the same account at the same time.

So in the end nothing really changes. What Microsoft wanted to do was being able to "lend" a game or a portion of a game to a friend without him having to log out of his account. A proper e-sharing for your library. But it's not gonna happen anymore so we'll never know.

And Sony has been releasing big titles on the PlayStation Store digital only for a while, right? The last of us is there. 

The only redeeming quality of this digital only thing is that you can start playing the games while the game is still downloading. Even if you have a >50Mbps internet connection, who's to tell me that their servers are going to be able to handle the load on release day, that the WiFi bandwidth isn't gonna crap out for whichever reason (distance to router, number of users, nearby APs)  and all that stuff? It's still unrealistic to expect people to download 20-40 GB in a short time. 

I read the PS4 set as home thing the other day as well, will go track it down.

edit: Here it is, 1 minute in

A new video from PlayStation explains that any content associated with your PlayStation Network ID will be accessible from any PS4 you log into. "You can access your games and other purchases from these machines so long as you're signed in," the video explains. "Access ends if you sign out."

Of course, if you don't want to be online all the time to access content, you'll be "nominate one PS4 as your home machine." By doing so, "your content is always available on that device, even to other users." Even games downloaded via PlayStation Plus will be accessible to other users on that device.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/80147/ps4-digital-purchases-work-on-any-ps4-so-long-as

eh, no, it means it's doing what microsoft already does on the 360. and wat they're also doing on the One, except MS will have 100% of the titles released as digital downloads on day of release, so far Sony hasn't promised any such thing, but they pretty much have to. 

Not only has Sony announced it, but they've been doing it since September on the PS3.

Halo 2 on PC let you play while the game installed, but saying that it was from a disc. I'm not so sure how it'll work for a digital version.

I think same as disc. Afterall it is just bits (:laugh:) - doesn't matter how you get them. Microsoft already does it with Office 365.

This is indeed nothing new at all. This has been on the Xbox 360 since its inception. People calling this Family Sharing are clearly not interpreting this correctly as you need to login yourself on the other person's machine to use your content. You can already "share" your games on the Xbox 360 as well. Just buy your game on their system and log in to yours at home with your account.

This is like when Sony said they can do cloud computing.

I understand Sony are trying to win the hearts of consumers, but this is a very mis-leading post which gives people the wrong view to post more of a negative view on their competitor. I really am starting to dislike them as a business. This isn't any different from when the 360 launched in 2005? Log onto a different console, download your DLC/XBLA games.

I understand Sony are trying to win the hearts of consumers, but this is a very mis-leading post which gives people the wrong view to post more of a negative view on their competitor. I really am starting to dislike them as a business. This isn't any different from when the 360 launched in 2005? Log onto a different console, download your DLC/XBLA games.

*Views NW posting history*, you're just starting? :rofl:

*Views NW posting history*, you're just starting? :rofl:

You perhaps missed the posts saying of how much I grew up with my PS1, and I still love the PS brand so that's why I'm still interested in buying the PS4 after launch. Also, Last of Us is one of the best games of this generation. Enjoying games of a platform is very different to appreciating the company who power the platform.

Doesn't mean I don't like their tactics this generation. They're playing very dirty.

You perhaps missed the posts saying of how much I grew up with my PS1, and I still love the PS brand so that's why I'm still interested in buying the PS4 after launch.

Doesn't mean I don't like their tactics this generation. They're playing very dirty.

Very dirty would suggest not being open, honest and truthful about the console/policies, now what company can we think that had a PR shitstorm about such matters very recently? Hmmmm?

You're exactly correct. Gaikai has a last recorded number of around 9000 servers. Windows Azure (what powers the new Xbox Live) has about 600 million physical servers worldwide and it's expanding daily with containers at their datacenters and nodes.

Even with the 300.000 servers MS is making available at launch for Xbox Live, Gaikai only holds about 3% of the available Windows Azure power and it definitely won't do distributed computing as that shows nowhere in their patent portfolio. Dedicated servers for games are now also physically run BY Xbox Live on the Windows Azure cloud server platform.

Very dirty would suggest not being open, honest and truthful about the console/policies, now what company can we think that had a PR ****storm about such matters very recently? Hmmmm?

Your opinion on the context of very dirty, is subjective.

Personally, I feel posting a very stupid 30 second clip of physical game sharing is childish. The interview with the PS exec who said it can do cloud computing was definitely said in the context to make the general census believe it could provide the same experience as the one provided by the X1. Exact same with this. I personally feel that is dirty business, because they're convoluting the ideas of the general census to portray that the PS4 can provide the same experience without those restrictions. The fact is, with the DRM the X1 and PS4 were totally different consoles.

• Like 2

Personally, I feel posting a very stupid 30 second clip of physical game sharing is childish. The interview with the PS exec who said it can do cloud computing was definitely said in the context to make the general census believe it could provide the same experience as the one provided by the X1. Exact same with this. I personally feel that is dirty business, because they're convoluting the ideas of the general census to portray that the PS4 can provide the same experience without those restrictions. The fact is, with the DRM the X1 and PS4 were totally different consoles.

Maybe you should lighten up a bit then?

In the light of the DRM matters of this generation it's of no surprise a company, Sony, are wanting to say things that might well of been the same as last gen. Consumers are worried about DRM and restrictions, telling them they won't exist, or won't be anywhere near as chaotic as what we nearly had a taste of is hardly 'dirty'. If you can get a positive result from parroting last generations features, why not, to be honest it's saying something that the gamers praise you for staying the same versus making a change like the One was trying. You cannot force feed people into wanting something they don't.

I somewhat see what you are trying to get at but it all just boil down to who is better at PR. Sony is clearly better at PS4 PR than Microsoft with XB1. You have to hand it to them for marketing inferior SDK as "developers getting direct access to metal and have more power over PS4" and people lapping it up.

Maybe you should lighten up a bit then?

In the light of the DRM matters of this generation it's of no surprise a company, Sony, are wanting to say things that might well of been the same as last gen. Consumers are worried about DRM and restrictions, telling them they won't exist, or won't be anywhere near as chaotic as what we nearly had a taste of is hardly 'dirty'. If you can get a positive result from parroting last generations features, why not, to be honest it's saying something that the gamers praise you for staying the same versus making a change like the One was trying. You cannot force feed people into wanting something they don't.

The method of delivery is a key factor, I understand that their main point of this generation is that its still a console which only plays games and always will be. The way they communicated that out is something I personally think it's childish for a company like them to do.

Everyone knew the PS4 didn't have an online model like the X1 did at reveal/E3, did they need to make a 30sec clip which is patronizing? Nope. All it showed is weakness more than anything. 

I somewhat see what you are trying to get at but it all just boil down to who is better at PR. Sony is clearly better at PS4 PR than Microsoft with XB1. You have to hand it to them for marketing inferior SDK as "developers getting direct access to metal and have more power over PS4" and people lapping it up.

I definitely agree with this. I'd also say that the corporate image of MS along with the nature of features they was offering also turned the opinion of consumers. Due to them not believing what they was offering.

The method of delivery is a key factor, I understand that their main point of this generation is that its still a console which only plays games and always will be. The way they communicated that out is something I personally think it's childish for a company like them to do.

Everyone knew the PS4 didn't have an online model like the X1 did at reveal/E3, did they need to make a 30sec clip which is patronizing? Nope. All it showed is weakness more than anything.

I definitely agree with this 100% but I'd also say that the corporate image of MS with the nature of features they was offering also turned the opinion of consumers. 

To make a video like that and get almost 14 million views would not be classed as a PR weakness anywhere most people would study business/marketing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kWSIFh8ICaA

Online model doesn't equal DRM. There were still worries about Sony including used game DRM/protection prior to E3.

To make a video like that and get almost 14 million views would not be classed as a PR weakness anywhere most people would study business/marketing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kWSIFh8ICaA

Online model doesn't equal DRM. There were still worries about Sony including used game DRM/protection prior to E3.

Sorry bad sentence structure, I meant weakness in their console model rather than their PR. Regarding PR it was an excellent move, but I just feel it was disrespectful and childish. I'm not saying it didn't work because it clearly has ha.

I've been seeing a lot of PR like the article in the OP as "Look at us, we can do this to!". 

How is it a weakness in their console model, it is going to be an evolution of what you can do with PS3. I REALLY don't think developers were going to allow gamers to share all the latest $60 AAA blockbusters with 10 friends without restriction especially considering they are trying to stop people getting cheap used games.

The definition of weakness is Microsoft doing a 180 on DRM once they saw the pre-order numbers, they don't care about consumers they just care about their bottom line.

Left a terrible taste in my mouth when you saw the press releases grovelling about how they care and it's clear to see it means a lot to consumers, blah blah.

PS4 message is and has been clear and consistent since Febs Playstation Meeting, it's all about the developers and the gamers.

I can't trust a company that completely abandons system level features to pander to their bank manager.

How is it a weakness in their console model, it is going to be an evolution of what you can do with PS3. I REALLY don't think developers were going to allow gamers to share all the latest $60 AAA blockbusters with 10 friends without restriction especially considering they are trying to stop people getting cheap used games.

The definition of weakness is Microsoft doing a 180 on DRM once they saw the pre-order numbers, they don't care about consumers they just care about their bottom line.

Left a terrible taste in my mouth when you saw the press releases grovelling about how they care and it's clear to see it means a lot to consumers, blah blah.

PS4 message is and has been clear and consistent since Febs Playstation Meeting, it's all about the developers and the gamers.

I can't trust a company that completely abandons system level features to pander to their bank manager.

So are you saying that Sony cares more about consumers/developers/gamers than their bottom line?

"I can't trust a company that completely abandons system level features to pander to their bank manager" so you did not buy PS3 last time?

Edit: By the way, the same group of developers are allowing "Free" games with PS+.

Edit2: and just to be clear, yes Microsoft has a cluster###### of PR for XB1.

So are you saying that Sony cares more about consumers/developers/gamers than their bottom line?

"I can't trust a company that completely abandons system level features to pander to their bank manager" so you did not buy PS3 last time?

I think some people on this forum actually believe that.

Hilarious.

An evolution of what? There's no evolution, its the same console model with the ability to play games when you download. How is that an evolution? It's an added feature.

So, if they listened to the consumer its not pro-consumer anymore (like Sony are ofcourse), its weakness? 

Please find me articles referring to how Sony have a developer program which respond to the developers views on the new hardware. Or how they have a platform which'll use the same app architecture as the most popular OS in the world? Do you know PS developers are coding using VS 2013? A world-class IDE built by MS.

Can you trust a company which doesn't implement standard security features to maintain the security and integrity of customer details?

A company to use a modified unix kernel which doesn't provide concrete graphical hardware implementation (like DirectX) isn't developer friendly. *Cough* Sub 30FPS in games *cough*

A company which pleases their bank managers? Tell that to the bank managers which were involved in the $1 billion investment into 1st party exclusives.

You're exactly correct. Gaikai has a last recorded number of around 9000 servers. Windows Azure (what powers the new Xbox Live) has about 600 million physical servers worldwide and it's expanding daily with containers at their datacenters and nodes.

Even with the 300.000 servers MS is making available at launch for Xbox Live, Gaikai only holds about 3% of the available Windows Azure power and it definitely won't do distributed computing as that shows nowhere in their patent portfolio. Dedicated servers for games are now also physically run BY Xbox Live on the Windows Azure cloud server platform.

600 million physical servers? I would like to see the source of this information, i know MS has alot, but 600 Million just really seems out of this world. Maybe a mix of physicial and virtual servers, heck that would still be a lot, lol. Though MS stated 300,000 servers, we still don't know whether that is physical or virtual servers as well.

An evolution of what? There's no evolution, its the same console model with the ability to play games when you download. How is that an evolution? It's an added feature.

An evolution over the previous hardware.  Evolution is what you make it.  Each generation has better hardware, new devices, new logic.  It has evolved as a physical system over it's predecessor.

So, if they listened to the consumer its not pro-consumer anymore (like Sony are ofcourse), its weakness? 

I would say that both sides need to be listened to.  Consumer and developer.  Without developers consumers have nothing to consume.  Without consumers developers are releasing things that aren't being consumed.

Please find me articles referring to how Sony have a developer program which respond to the developers views on the new hardware. Or how they have a platform which'll use the same app architecture as the most popular OS in the world? Do you know PS developers are coding using VS 2013? A world-class IDE built by MS.

The PS4 obviously does not use windows, however I am certain that most code that is written will compile fine between linux and windows.  I am currently writing a program in SDL that with ~15 minutes of changes for the Windows Code (I am writing it on linux) I can have it compiled and running 100% perfect on Windows and Linux.  Also, why does it matter if they are using VS 2013?  Why does it matter which IDE they use.  Hell I can write C++ code in Gedit just as well as I can do it in Visual Studio.   So yes, I agree VS is the best IDE in my opinion, it is not required to write the code, and it's not a requirement of people writing code for the PS4 to not use it.   

It's about the tool, and not who made it.

Can you trust a company which doesn't implement standard security features to maintain the security and integrity of customer details?

Last time I had checked, no official word had been given saying that personal information was released.  I am also pretty sure I have read about security breaches with XBLive.  Also, the company DOES have security features, and data is encrypted and handled properly.   If I recall correctly, Sony also risked a lot of money taking the PSN down for an extended period of time so they could re-write the entire system from the ground up to prevent anything happening in the future like what did.

A company to use a modified unix kernel which doesn't provide concrete graphical hardware implementation (like DirectX) isn't developer friendly. *Cough* Sub 30FPS in games *cough*

It has full OGL support, and from what I have read from many sources GL can actually preform much better than DirectX in many situations.  Also, as it is modified this gives sony the chance to also get custom GL drivers and optimizations written.  As for the sub 30fps in a game.. I can assure you that is 100% doable with DirectX too.  FPS is made up of many many different parts.  Hardware, Drivers, Software, the Developers.   It isn't an: "Oh.. it's not DX well.. no >30FPS is possible". 

If the standard *nix graphics capabilities weren't there, we wouldn't see HL, HL2, CS:S preforming better on that platform than some Windows platforms.

A company which pleases their bank managers? Tell that to the bank managers which were involved in the $1 billion investment into 1st party exclusives.

All companies worry about their bank accounts, if they didn't everything would cost 5$ and a loss wouldn't matter.  You also need to look at it like:  We pay 1b for exclusives.  But that 1b can be recouped in 1 year and at that point it's all profit.   As opposed to.. lets put 250m into it, but it's going to take us 6 years to get it back, plus any loss during that time, as we can't provide enough content for that.

My point in this post, is that you can't come in here and say how much better the XB1 is because it has a better SDK, or that it's on a common OS.  It comes down to the developers, and the consumers.  Personally, the XB1 could run full on windows 7 and I would still go with the PS4.   My wants from a console are what PS4 is focused on.