How can people wear flip flops for hours without chafing their feet?

Wore a pair of between-the-toes flip flops a few weeks back, blistered between my toes like hell! Whipped out an old pair of Nike rubber flip flops, just with one big strap over the my foot, blistered even worse! Still got scabs now!

Wore a pair of between-the-toes flip flops a few weeks back, blistered between my toes like hell! Whipped out an old pair of Nike rubber flip flops, just with one big strap over the my foot, blistered even worse! Still got scabs now!

It sucks, doesn't it? By the times my blisters fully heal, summer will be almost over. It's so depressing. Everyone out there is walking in flip flops and enjoying it, yet I have to worry about blisters. I wish I had the same magic feet like everyone else.

I can't wear flip flops for longer than about 30 seconds, not that I want to :P

I clean my feet before I go out to make sure there's no sweat on them, and if I am going to be out for a long time I also rub plenty of moisturising cream into my feet to keep the skin soft and supple. As long as you're careful a decent pair of sandals shouldn't hurt

This thread prompted me to order another pair. iPanema is so awesome :D  I got these:

http://www.instyleswimwear.com/ipanema-flip-flops/brazil?gclid=CLeBwaHL3LgCFYPHtAod_FMAiw

(yes they are men's but when I got my original pair in Brasil there wasn't a women's option, and there's really no difference anyway)

they are SO squishy and comfortable. I prefer them to walking barefoot!

I don't know how people can wear them period, having something stuck between your toes and the flop flop flop as you walk.

When I walk through Central Park, I see TONS of people hiking there with flip flops!! I'm amazed at how strong people's feet are.

My Reefs are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. Maybe I should test them out and walk through Central Park in them just to see how comfy they really are. :D

This thread prompted me to order another pair. iPanema is so awesome :D  I got these:

http://www.instyleswimwear.com/ipanema-flip-flops/brazil?gclid=CLeBwaHL3LgCFYPHtAod_FMAiw

(yes they are men's but when I got my original pair in Brasil there wasn't a women's option, and there's really no difference anyway)

they are SO squishy and comfortable. I prefer them to walking barefoot!

I wear Slazenger ones with velcro straps. Can't stand loose footwear :P

Ok, got my Reef flip flops the other day and I tested them out. They are MUCH better than all the other flip flops I tried. However, after walking in them for a little over 4 hours, my feet started to get some slight discomfort. There was a very minor irritation on the side of my foot. Not too bad, tho. Didn't seem to blister, but just a slight irritation. But I still can't walk in them all day like other people can, unfortunately. But the good news is, it took a good 4 hours before my feet felt any sort of discomfort. Those other Gotcha flip flops I got from Sports Authority literally sliced my foot in less than a hour after wearing them. At least the Reefs didn't do that. Just a little irritation and it took over 4 hours for it to happen. So, I still say the Reefs are pretty darn good. I blame my feet, not the Reefs.

I think the issue is, I perspire A LOT. I have overactive sweat glands, especially on my hands and feet. I notice that the chafing on my feet tends to occur when I start to sweat there since the perspiration removes the smoothness of the skin on my feet. And that causes the strap to irritate it. When I'm not sweating, there's not much irritation going on. So, unfortunately, it looks like I'm the kind of person that cannot wear flip flops for a long time. They're fine if I walk for just a hour or two, but not more than that. If I need to walk for several hours or when sightseeing, it's best that I stick to sneakers.

Glad to hear you're getting on better. If you have hyperhydrosis, try putting some Driclor on or some talc.

Currently rocking my Quiksilver flip flops.

P.S. Fact of the day; the flip flop was invented by a French man name Philippe Flopp.

I've spoken to two different doctors about my excessive sweating and they both said that there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. They said I was just born that way and I just need to accept that.

• 1 year later...

I'm resurrecting this two year old thread because I FINALLY know what kind of flip flops work on my feet. Last summer, I gave up on flip flops after my terrible blister incident from the year before. But this summer, I was willing to try again.

I bought this pair at Modell's...

http://www.modells.com/product/nautica_brookbury_mens_sandal-nm348blu.do?from=Search&cx=0

My feet tend to agree with these cheap, light foam flip flops with the soft, material strap. I tried Reef a couple of years ago and because their flip flops are heavy and the straps are stiff, it will still blister after extended wear. But with these lighter, cheaper flip flops, my feet can walk for hours without a problem. I'm not complaining either because these are only $10 a pair. I think I may buy a couple more now before they're gone for the season and while they're still on sale...

I don't have issues w mine. I got ones with jellin in em

• 3 weeks later...

I'm resurrecting this two year old thread because I FINALLY know what kind of flip flops work on my feet. Last summer, I gave up on flip flops after my terrible blister incident from the year before. But this summer, I was willing to try again.

I bought this pair at Modell's...

http://www.modells.com/product/nautica_brookbury_mens_sandal-nm348blu.do?from=Search&cx=0

My feet tend to agree with these cheap, light foam flip flops with the soft, material strap. I tried Reef a couple of years ago and because their flip flops are heavy and the straps are stiff, it will still blister after extended wear. But with these lighter, cheaper flip flops, my feet can walk for hours without a problem. I'm not complaining either because these are only $10 a pair. I think I may buy a couple more now before they're gone for the season and while they're still on sale...

I spoke too soon. I got so excited that I finally found a comfortable pair that I wore the flip flops all day for three days straight and by the middle of the third day, I developed a small, but painful rash on the side of my right foot. This is crazy. I know I overdid it by wearing it for too long of a period, but 99% of people wear flip flops everyday, all day for the ENTIRE summer and never have issues. I think my problem is that I have overactive sweat glands, so I sweat profusely on my feet. So, the acid from my sweat combined with the constant rubbing from the strap causes irritation on my feet. I do tend to sweat more than the average person because sometimes, I literally have to wipe my hands before shaking people's hand since it gets so wet sometimes. I have consulted a doctor about it and they all claim that it's just the way I was born and nothing can be done about it.

My only alternative is to wear sandals, which don't give me an issue since they secure better on my feet and don't rub. Unfortunately, I don't find sandals as fun to wear as flip flops. Flip flops are just so much fun because it feels more like I'm barefoot and it's just fun to slip your feet in and out every now and then.

Both me and my girlfriend work from our home and we both wear flip flops pretty much all the time. No issues, ever.

Both me and my girlfriend work from our home and we both wear flip flops pretty much all the time. No issues, ever.

I think I need to start wearing them around the house, especially in the winter time, in order to train my feet and toughen them up.

I also wear them all the time, not the between the toe kind but with the single strap. Can't stand walking around bare foot or with socks on all the time. It's great :)

Normally the only time I have any issues is the first week as my feet get used to new ones, and as they start to age parts will rub more, or become more abrasive.. but that's every 5 or 6 years for me..

• 4 weeks later...

I finally found a winner. About a month ago, I bought the Sanuk Fault Line Flip Flops at Sports Authority and gave them a try. They did irritate a little bit at first when wearing them for a long time, but after about 3-4 weeks, they FINALLY broke in and my feet got used to them. Now, my feet are in love with them. They are all I wear now. I even got another pair on sale for $25. They are wonderful. The bad new is, now that I finally found the right flip flops for my feet, summer is almost coming to an end. So, I don't have a lot of time left to enjoy them. Well, next summer, I'm going to make sure I break them in early so I can enjoy a whole summer wearing nothing but flippy flops. :)

Wear crocs. Lmao jk.

My flip-flops broke after a month of wearing them. Ugh never again. I plan on buying these kinds of sandals ... see picture.

marni-blue-criss-cross-leather-sandals-p

If I was asking the question, it would be "How can people wear flip flops?":)  Can't remember ever wearing them, not even when younger.

Trainers for me, all year round, apart from the occasional days when it snows.

I live in my (fake) Crocs at home. They are comfortable and grant me ninja-like prowess over sneaking up on family members and the dog.

• 3 weeks later...