47 Ronin (2013)

Maybe I am one of the few, but I have always had a fascination with samurai stories.

No, me too. I even loved The Last Samurai and I'm not a Cruise fan at all.

Yup, same here. I'm also looking forward to this movie.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe I am one of the few, but I have always had a fascination with samurai stories.

Yup, same here. I'm also looking forward to this movie.

Ever watched Tasogare Seibei? Jadesoturi is also an interesting take.

With every new clip, 47 Ronin looks more and more like The Man with the Iron Fists. But less fun.

I have a feeling it's gonna look pretty cool but be absolutely **** story-wise. I thought we had moved past white people playing Asians too.

Keanu has been on an Asian thing lately. He can do whatever he wants, since the Matrix movies that he has no need for money at all. He just did Man of Tai Chi (which is a terrible movie btw) and now this. Which will also be terrible. Just watch The Man with the Iron Fists if you want an Asian-inspired action flick. If you want something great, Ip Man, Ip Man 2, and Huo Yuanjia are great starting points.

I enjoyed parts of it :/

Come on, it's a terrible movie. I liked some parts of Star Trek Into Darkness: the 3 seconds of Alice Eve in her underwear and... that's about it. Have you watched Kung Fu Hustle? Or something with a little more edge to it, like Tom yum goong?

Keanu has been on an Asian thing lately. He can do whatever he wants, since the Matrix movies that he has no need for money at all. He just did Man of Tai Chi (which is a terrible movie btw) and now this. Which will also be terrible. Just watch The Man with the Iron Fists if you want an Asian-inspired action flick. If you want something great, Ip Man, Ip Man 2, and Huo Yuanjia are great starting points.

I agree.  All those are great movies. 

I just watched "Man of Tai Chi" and was not impressed.  Not terrible, but certainly not very good.

I hope this will be better.

• Like 1

He gave up most of his Matrix earned money to the effects team, making them millionaires, or so I've heard. I have yet to see "Man of Tai Chi" and haven't been sure about watching "The Man with the Iron Fists". It just didn't seem appealing enough to me. I might watch it soon though. I am, however, looking forward to 47 Ronin, haha :p

Then again, I see we have a very different taste for films because I loved "Star Trek: Into Darkness" :p

He gave up most of his Matrix earned money to the effects team, making them millionaires, or so I've heard. I have yet to see "Man of Tai Chi" and haven't been sure about watching "The Man with the Iron Fists". It just didn't seem appealing enough to me. I might watch it soon though. I am, however, looking forward to 47 Ronin, haha :p

Then again, I see we have a very different taste for films because I loved "Star Trek: Into Darkness" :p

He gave quite a bit of coin, yes. But every time the movies comes on TV, he gets a cut. Box office % was also MASSIVE. And he's been in other successful movies since then so it stands to reason that he's extremely wealthy. "The Man with the Iron Fists" is what happens when an american director tries to make a modern, americanized version of a wuxia film. RZA wasn't up to snuff as a director and/or actor, so the movie wasn't that good, despite the great cast. But it's extremely fun and has some great mythology built into it.

I enjoyed, not liked or loved, Star Trek as a movie but it was a terrible sequel, with fanservice references forced in with a crowbar (Spock Prime, Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!!!!!!!!!, etc.) and the worst aspects of the first movie being brought back. It's almost like J.J. Abrams didn't think there would be a sequel... or a second season of LOST :rolleyes: But enough off topic talk, let's talk about samurai movies!

I don't know, there just wasn't anything that made me want to watch "The Man with the Iron Fists".

I don't know, there just wasn't anything that made me want to watch "The Man with the Iron Fists".

Like I said, great mythology. Poor execution.

Like I said, great mythology. Poor execution.

I thought it was going to be awesome considering who was behind it and featuring in it... but no, it was incredibly dire, I was so disappointed.