'Avatar' to get 3 sequels, first to be released in 2016

i9IpFne3xTLGs.png

It has been revealed that James Cameron is now moving ahead with three sequels to Avatar instead of two. As was reported yesterday, Josh Friedman (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles) has been hired to work on the screenplays for the next three instalments, although he will now be joined by Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver (Rise of the Planets of the Apes), and Shane Salerno (Savages). The films will all be shot simultaneously, with the first sequel set to be released in December 2016 and Avatar 3 and Avatar 4 following in 2017 and 2018. The first movie remains the highest grossing movie of all-time, with Titanic and The Avengers behind it.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=84672

I'll never understand how this was so popular, beyond technical achievement.

However, after watching Pacific Rim and seeing how its fans react when you say you dislike it I guess graphics is all that matter now to the common public.

Three additional films? Really? I enjoyed the first one, but I don't quite see the point of making three other films!

They are stuck on the planet. So now what? They'll fly to other planets? Other species will try to wreck havoc?

Christ I hope the sequel bombs so much it ends right there!

it cannot, as they are filming all 3 at the same time,   so even if it bombs, they are not not likely to throw away all the extra footage.

that said, i cannot see this one having amazing story... so it will most likely be mediocre

Exactly what I was thinking.  The 3D was great and some of the scenes looked amazing but the movie itself sucked.

• 2 months later...

However, after watching Pacific Rim and seeing how its fans react when you say you dislike it I guess graphics is all that matter now to the common public.

Avatar was probably the worst movie I've ever seen.

While it was a futuristic Space Pocahontas, I thoroughly enjoyed the Movie, I wonder how on Earth a sequel would work though, unless it's set around Humans returning to Pandora to take it back by force.