socket 478

845 chipset or higher if possible

DDR SDRAM

memory limit of 1GB or more

no on-board audio or video

5 or more pci slots

an agp 4x-8x slot

no ISA slot

2 USB 1.1 (maybe 2 usb1.1 and 2 usb2.0 if possible?)

a good case to go w/ it (4 bays would be perfect)

and what kinda power supply is necessary or if i need any kind of cooling besides what comes w/ the p4 already

thanks a lot :D

and i need the lowest price you guys can find on both

Get to this site (http://www.directron.cm) and you will find lots of information on how to build your dream machine. I wish I had the money, Boy ! they have some very good stuff there, the latest and the best that money could buy. Check out the black tower case that comes with all sorts of slots and a whopping 450 power supply. I have configured the system I want and you know what ? the total comes to $ 3000. translated into my Canadian currency it is around $ 4,500. Wow! I have Pentium III with 850Mgz and 512 MB SDRAM. The way to go now is DDRRAM. Pentium IIII needs a different slot and a matching MOBO suitable for DDRRAM. Then you need to upgrade your video card to ATI RADEON 7500 64Megs and an Audigy sound card. Good luck my friend. Go and get it. Life is too short, enjoy the things that want to now, procrastinating will not get you anywhere.

Come on man! :p

Why not build a system with an Athlon XP 1800+, 1900+ or 2000+?

Well dunno if ur interested or not but heres a basic configuration:

MSI KT266A Pro2 - RU Motherboard (8x USB - 4x USB 1.1, 4x USB 2, RAID, support for 3GB DDR, 5 PCI slots)

2 or 3x 512MB or even 1GB Crucial PC2100 dimms

case, awww could ya settle for a lian li pc60 or something? hehe

300W PSU would be enough

and yeah sounds like you got the rest already or something...

Only people who should ever touch an AMD are overclockers and fund challenged.

If you want stability, compatibility, and forward looking technology then you gotta go with Intel! No ifs, buts, or else.

As AMD likes to put it, computers are like cars. You get get a modded GTI and get it to scream by a BMW. BMWs are more expensive and are less fast, but yet they manage to sell MORe cars the VWs. They are both german engineered, but one is obviously of higher quality that the other. =) Catch my drift?

Anyways, back to the topic. I don't have experience with 845 chipsets, but if cost is not an issue, i would seriously consider the 850 chipset. There isn't any memory that can match RDRAM bandwidth.

Looks like we don't share the same opinion iraklis2000

AMD makes very high quality chips just like Intel. AMD processors have proved to be stable and compatible with the same things as Intel processors.

Why do you think AMD is slowly gaining acceptance and more market share? (even with OEMs)

Each to his own, although just because P4 processors are a little more expensive than Athlon XP doesn't mean they are necessarily better for what you pay for.

If AMD has a high quality, how come when you take the CPU fan off, you have smoke come out of it and become useless after that? Try to take the fan out of a Pentium and you will see that it only froze but no smoke... and when you put the CPU fan back on, the Pentium chip will work smoothly again... I think ALL of the AMD chip behave that way, once you take the CPU fan off, you're toast!... Now tell me which is quality and which is quantity? Do you want to buy a CPU with that kind of quality? Another thing, AMD chip use too much energy and give out too much heat... Can you say Pentium has a higher quality now? Pentium 2.2 gig can be over-clocked up to 3.5gig... Now compare that with AMD... AMD computer cause more error with XP than Pentium... A lot of fix came out for AMD-specific board... Now can you say "quality"???

what are you talkin about sure this a thermal issue with the amd but the amd chipset can process more information in a single cyle (megahurt). also the 2.2 ghz version of intel requires a new mobo not the same type as other intel. whenever intel makes a new chip you always have to buy a new mobo and everything. amd on the other hand have used the same mobo type for a long time and will continue to use it throughout 2002. amd are releasing a 4.4 ghz hammer core chip in the summer. and if you checked the benchmarks the 1.6 (2000+) of athlon xp can keep up with the 2.2 ghz of intel why is that? ill let u figure that one out. plus intel cost way more but either way id be happy with any of them.

Who would be that big of an idiot to pull the fan off the processor anyways. Computer won't work without some kind of cooling system anyways. Why would you try to run it without. Who's that stupid to pull of the fan or cooling system and try to run the computer. You have to be some kind of big idiot.

i sorta agree with 7R1K3R, but amd is gonna bring out a new chip and im pretty sure you gonna have to use a new mobo....

anyways yea, i'll be glad to use em both, but if i had a choice i'd choose an intel, but if someone GAVE me an amd i'd gladly take it and use it.

even though Intel is a good chip the majority of the people on this board will tell you go with AMD. AMDs run really hot and yes what Krome said is true but i would go with AMD and a VIA chipset anyday. if someone bought me a 2.2ghz P4 system i'd sell the processor, motherboard and ram and get a 1.60ghz AMD Athlon XP and some DDR Ram, that's just my preference though. Anyways.. you said you wanted a P4 system so i'd suggest getting that 1.7ghz with RD RAm and an Abit motherboard.. the BD7 i think. It's socket 478 and is a very good board you wont get AGP 8X anywhere yet cuz that's only gonna be in the VIA KT333A (and that doesn't come out yet for a couple months and they didn't even realease the KT333 yet - plus that's a AMD chipset, i don't know when it comes out for Intel boards)

Krome, I sincerly don't know why on Earth one should get his/her fan/hs off the processor, so why bother?

And, by the way, the Pentium 4 require a far larger hs/fan than an Athlon.

from iraklis2000.....

There isn't any memory that can match RDRAM bandwidth.

Are you kiddin me? My 266mhz (PC2100) DDR Ram runs almost as fast as PC800 and that's PC2100, PC2700 (333mhz) more than likely out does it cuz my Micron 256MB PC2100 (266mhz) get memory scores on SisSoft Sandra 2002 at 2,101MB/s and PC800 gets 2183MB/s

My ram is overclocked a lil but that's no excuse.. PC800 ram is 400Mhz my memory is as follows..

FSB = 140mhz

voltage = 2.55v

CAS = 2

Bank = 4

so check your faqs again! :)

The reason I meantion about moving the fan out from the CPU is that sometimes the most stupid things happens to people and they likely to ruin their CPU that way... and yes it happens to some people that I know... so I am only stretching the "idiot tolerance" for everyone to consider which is high quality... the example that I gave was not for you to judge who's stupid enough to do so... it is merely a stress tolerance that I give to prove my point... but nevertheless what I have said was fact... you must see the fact as fact instead of going around calling people "idiots" just because you think you are smart enough to not even do that... But I guess it all comes down to who will understand what...

well put Krome..... i guess you can look at it from another perspective too...

like airbags..... bmw has side and head air bags while the honda's don't.... but then again, whose dumb enough to crash their car so these airbags aren't an issue. errrrr??? but then again you'll probably say, someone might crash you, random events... blah forget it lol...

Show me a SINGLE benchmark that measures bandwidth between processor and memory(Like the one from SiSoft Sandra) that shows DDR Ram having a higher bandwidth, and then I will admit i was wrong..... I don't think so.....The current generation of RDRAM is around 4G, with the next generation(same costs to produce) is at 4.8G. Good luck matching those numbers.

And in case you don't trust my word, here are the facts! =)

http://www.vr-zone.com/#2057