Skype Data Usage

Go to solution Solved by primexx,

Question

primexx

I'm trying to find out approximately how much data a Skype call uses, but I'm finding really bad numbers. Skype has an official FAQ about it here https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10853/how-much-data-will-skype-use-on-my-mobile-phone

Skype-to-Skype calls: 50kbps or around 3MB for one minute of calling

but that is completely inconsistent, as 50kbps only adds up to 375KB, not the 3MB that Skype estimates. That makes a huge difference for an hour of calls (~22MB vs ~180MB). There's a lot of Skype forum topics that just parrot the official FAQ, so that doesn't help at all.

I also found this http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2010/07/dont-worry-about-saving-minutes-with-skype-think-data-use/

we made a five-minute call from Skype on an iPhone over 3G to another Skype user. During that time, we received 1.5MB of data and sent 1.8MB for a total of 3.3MB of data transmitted.

which is 0.66MB/min, in between the two Skype estimates. But it's from 2010 so may have changed by now.

Does anyone have current real-world experience with Skype data usage? About how much does it take for Skype-to-Skype calls or Skype-to-phone calls?

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

primexx

Sorry, but Skype estimates 3Mb per minute, which is in fact equal to 50Kbps, since 50Kb * 60 = 3000Kb = 3Mb 

You misread the b in Mb to be uppercase instead of lowercase, so it is megabits, not megabytes.

Wolfram Alpha to back me up: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=50Kbps+to+Mb+per+minute

Skype fixed their page.

funkydude

Looking at the Windows 8 task manager I have the Skype app stated as having used 84MB over the past month and I've barely used it.

If you're running Window 8 you can gauge it yourself, but I'm not sure if that would use more bandwidth than Skype for phones. It's possible that the phone version prefers a lower quality.

jakem1

Looking at the Windows 8 task manager I have the Skype app stated as having used 84MB over the past month and I've barely used it.

If you're running Window 8 you can gauge it yourself, but I'm not sure if that would use more bandwidth than Skype for phones. It's possible that the phone version prefers a lower quality.

I've never noticed that you can do that with Windows 8.  It's pretty cool.

I've used almost 14GB over the last month and I use it for about four hours of video calls a week. 

Roger H.

I think you are looking at Video calls and voice calls and getting confused. Which is it you are concerned about? I know video calls are about 300-500Kbps based on my tests. So in that case it could add up a lot. Now if we are only talking about voice calling then that's different which should be a lot less, maybe like 5-15Kbps instead.

primexx

I think you are looking at Video calls and voice calls and getting confused. Which is it you are concerned about? I know video calls are about 300-500Kbps based on my tests. So in that case it could add up a lot. Now if we are only talking about voice calling then that's different which should be a lot less, maybe like 5-15Kbps instead.

the Skype FAQ lists video calls separately at 500-600kbps. what I posted was for Skype/Skype voice calling only (Skype/phone is lower). However, they gave two wildly conflicting numbers.

gohpep

Sorry, but Skype estimates 3Mb per minute, which is in fact equal to 50Kbps, since 50Kb * 60 = 3000Kb = 3Mb 

You misread the b in Mb to be uppercase instead of lowercase, so it is megabits, not megabytes.

Wolfram Alpha to back me up: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=50Kbps+to+Mb+per+minute

I'm trying to find out approximately how much data a Skype call uses, but I'm finding really bad numbers. Skype has an official FAQ about it here https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10853/how-much-data-will-skype-use-on-my-mobile-phone

but that is completely inconsistent, as 50kbps only adds up to 375KB, not the 3MB that Skype estimates. That makes a huge difference for an hour of calls (~22MB vs ~180MB). There's a lot of Skype forum topics that just parrot the official FAQ, so that doesn't help at all.

I also found this http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2010/07/dont-worry-about-saving-minutes-with-skype-think-data-use/

which is 0.66MB/min, in between the two Skype estimates. But it's from 2010 so may have changed by now.

Does anyone have current real-world experience with Skype data usage? About how much does it take for Skype-to-Skype calls or Skype-to-phone calls?

Thanks!

gohpep

Skype fixed their page.

Oh ok. I'm glad they stalk Neowin

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Abhishek Baxi
      Meet Now: How to use the new built-in video conferencing feature on Windows 10
      by Abhishek Baxi

As part of the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20221 released to Windows Insiders in the Dev Channel, Microsoft introduced a new feature for seamless video conferencing on Windows 10.

The new feature - Meet Now – sits as an icon in the Windows 10 Taskbar. It allows you to quickly start a meeting or join a scheduled one you’ve been invited to. This integration is powered by Skype.

The Meet Now feature itself is not new though. The feature arrived on Skype earlier this year to improve its video conferencing experience amidst, as many saw, Skype squandering its early-mover advantage in casual video conferencing to the likes of Zoom, and even Google Meet. The pandemic necessitated a lockdown and people around the world chose video calls to connect with their friends and family, as well as work colleagues.

Microsoft will hope that the integration of the Meet Now feature into Windows 10, with an always-visible icon in the notification area of the Taskbar, will help with the discovery of the capability as well as attract even the users who aren't on Skype.

How to use Meet Now on Windows 10

Meet Now allows Windows 10 users to connect with anyone and easily set up a collaboration space in just two clicks. It’s free, and no sign-up or download is required. Participants can then easily join meetings whether they have a Skype account or not, and from any device – mobile or desktop.

All you need to do to start a video call is click the Meet Now icon in the system tray, and click/tap Create a meeting. Meet Now will open a browser window to launch the meeting experience. You can edit the meeting name and share the meeting link with others. Once you're ready, turn your microphone and/or camera on as preferred, and click/tap the Start Meeting button.

Once you start the meeting, you’ll be greeted with the usual Skype meeting experience. There’s the ability to chat, react with emojis, or share your screen. Each call can last up to 24 hours, although the meeting doesn’t expire at all.

If someone’s sent you a meeting link, all you need to do is click the Meet Now icon, and then click/tap Join a meeting. Just paste the link (or the trailing code) in the browser window that opens, hit Join, and you’re on.

The link works in the browser directly as well (only Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome are officially supported at the time), which is how users on mobile or other OS can join in.

Meet Now - Skype The meeting experience is slightly different from Skype though (screenshot above). The ability to change the background effect is missing. On Skype, I could chat with my 'Friends' from Monica's apartment, for example. The ability to add 'Skype contacts' is obviously missing because the Windows 10 integration is independent of the messaging app, but you also cannot just start a chat-based meeting.

One of the awkward bits right now is that even if I have the Skype app installed on my computer, Meet Now initiates a new meeting in the browser only. And the meeting link opens in the browser if I go via Meet Now but if I paste the same link in the browser directly, it opens the Skype app.

Of course, before the feature debuts in a public Windows 10 release (and if it does), it might be altered in form or function.

At the moment, the feature has rolled out only to a subset of Insiders in the Dev Channel. Once Microsoft identifies and fixes any performance and reliability issues, it will be gradually rolled out to everyone in the Dev Channel.

• By Abhay V
      Skype 8.64 brings message reactions' customization for all, share sheet updates on iOS
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Microsoft has begun rolling out a new version of Skype to all users, bumping up the version to 8.64. This update comes almost two months after rolling out version 8.62 that brought replaceable backgrounds for the desktop and a new grid view for video calls. Version 8.63 was released earlier this month, but only contained bug fixes and no new features.

Skype 8.64 isn’t a major update either, since it brings just one new significant feature that lets users customize the message reaction picker in the app. Users can now hit the ‘Customize’ icon to tailor all the reaction that they want displayed to quickly access them when reacting to messages. This feature is rolling out to all versions of Skype, including on the desktop and mobile clients.

The Redmond firm also adds that it has tweaked some keyboard shortcuts to “fix a bug between Skype and Terminal”. In addition to that, Skype for iOS users can now directly share content with Skype contacts from the share tray. Unfortunately, that function is not present for Windows 10 users because it was removed when the React Native-based version of the app was replaced with the Electron version back in June. The share sheet on Microsoft’s OS does not display Skype as a share target.

The rest of the improvements in version 8.64 bring the usual bug fixes and stability improvements for all the platforms. The company says that the update is rolling out gradually to all users, so it could be a few days till the update shows up for everyone.

• By Jefferson Mangubat
      Microsoft testing 'Meet now' button for Skype and recommended search in Edge Canary
      by Jefferson Mangubat

Microsoft appears to be experimenting with a couple of new features on the Canary builds of Edge. One of these features makes it easier for users to make a Skype call through a "Meet now" button in the browser's new tab page.

The new capability seems to be available only to some users of Edge Canary, appearing just below its search bar. Clicking on the button brings users to a page where they can start a meeting via Skype, with a unique link that they can share with those whom they want to invite to the video conference. That means there's no signup required for other users to join a meeting. Twitter user Florian B also shared some screenshots showing how the new feature worked.

Additionally, Edge Canary is showing recommended searches below the search bar in the new tab page. Like the Meet now button, this still appears to be part of a test and it's available only to some users of Edge's preview versions. There is also an option to turn these recommendations off if you don't like to see them.

The new test follows a recent vertical tab testing in Edge Canary builds that was spotted last week. That test was also available to some users of the Canary builds of Edge. There's no official word, though, on when these features will become available to everyone.

Source: Techdows

• By Copernic
      NetLimiter 4.0.68.0
      by Razvan Serea

NetLimiter is an ultimate internet traffic control and monitoring tool designed for Windows. You can use NetLimiter to set download/upload transfer rate limits for applications or even single connection and monitor their internet traffic. Along with this unique feature, Netlimiter offers comprehensive set of internet statistical tools. It includes real-time traffic measurement and long-term per-application internet traffic statistics.

Main NetLimiter features:

NetLimiter shows list of all applications communicating over network it's connections, transfer rates and more. You can use NetLimiter to set download or upload transfer rate limits for applications, connections or groups of them. With limits you can easily manage your internet connection's bandwidth (bandwidth shaper or bandwidth controller) Statistical tool lets you to track your internet traffic history since you've installed NetLimiter. Additional network information:

NetLimiter provides you with and additional information like WHOIS, traceroute etc. Rule scheduler, Remote administration, Connection blocker, Running as WinNT service, User rights, Chart, Advanced Rule editor and scheduler, Zone based traffic management... NetLimiter 4.0.68 release notes:

This release brings an important fix of a problem which prevented saving settings on some systems. All users should consider updating to 4.0.68 even if they are not experiencing issues with saving rules or filters.

Bug Fixes:

A bug when Settings were not saving was fixed

Download: NetLimiter 4.0.68 | 7.9 MB (Shareware)
      View: NetLimiter Homepage

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By indospot
      Skype 8.62 adds preset replaceable backgrounds on desktop, new grid view for video calls
      by João Carrasqueira

Microsoft is rolling out a new update for its Skype apps, just under one month after the last update was released. That update, version 8.61, replaced the React Native version of Skype that used to be available on the Microsoft Store with one based on Electron, similar to the desktop version you can find on the Skype website.

Version 8.62 is a lot tamer in terms of new features, and they mostly revolve around video calls, taking inspiration from Microsoft's own Teams service. After recently adding the ability to replace the background behind you during a call, Skype also now has a series of preset images you can choose as a default background, rather than asking you to upload your own - though you can still do that if you want to.

There are also improvements to the grid view during group calls. On mobile devices, you'll now be able to see up to 9 people at once, and on desktop, that number is being increased from 9 to 12. Perhaps more importantly, though, Microsoft says it made improvements to message sync for some chats that might not have been updating.

Aside from that, there's not a lot that's new here, and with Microsoft readying a consumer-oriented version of Teams, it seems likely that Skype will be less and less of a focus as time goes on.