Skype Data Usage

Go to solution Solved by primexx,

Question

primexx

I'm trying to find out approximately how much data a Skype call uses, but I'm finding really bad numbers. Skype has an official FAQ about it here https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10853/how-much-data-will-skype-use-on-my-mobile-phone

Skype-to-Skype calls: 50kbps or around 3MB for one minute of calling

but that is completely inconsistent, as 50kbps only adds up to 375KB, not the 3MB that Skype estimates. That makes a huge difference for an hour of calls (~22MB vs ~180MB). There's a lot of Skype forum topics that just parrot the official FAQ, so that doesn't help at all.

I also found this http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2010/07/dont-worry-about-saving-minutes-with-skype-think-data-use/

we made a five-minute call from Skype on an iPhone over 3G to another Skype user. During that time, we received 1.5MB of data and sent 1.8MB for a total of 3.3MB of data transmitted.

which is 0.66MB/min, in between the two Skype estimates. But it's from 2010 so may have changed by now.

Does anyone have current real-world experience with Skype data usage? About how much does it take for Skype-to-Skype calls or Skype-to-phone calls?

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

primexx

Sorry, but Skype estimates 3Mb per minute, which is in fact equal to 50Kbps, since 50Kb * 60 = 3000Kb = 3Mb 

You misread the b in Mb to be uppercase instead of lowercase, so it is megabits, not megabytes.

Wolfram Alpha to back me up: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=50Kbps+to+Mb+per+minute

Skype fixed their page.

funkydude

Looking at the Windows 8 task manager I have the Skype app stated as having used 84MB over the past month and I've barely used it.

If you're running Window 8 you can gauge it yourself, but I'm not sure if that would use more bandwidth than Skype for phones. It's possible that the phone version prefers a lower quality.

jakem1

Looking at the Windows 8 task manager I have the Skype app stated as having used 84MB over the past month and I've barely used it.

If you're running Window 8 you can gauge it yourself, but I'm not sure if that would use more bandwidth than Skype for phones. It's possible that the phone version prefers a lower quality.

I've never noticed that you can do that with Windows 8.  It's pretty cool.

I've used almost 14GB over the last month and I use it for about four hours of video calls a week. 

Roger H.

I think you are looking at Video calls and voice calls and getting confused. Which is it you are concerned about? I know video calls are about 300-500Kbps based on my tests. So in that case it could add up a lot. Now if we are only talking about voice calling then that's different which should be a lot less, maybe like 5-15Kbps instead.

primexx

I think you are looking at Video calls and voice calls and getting confused. Which is it you are concerned about? I know video calls are about 300-500Kbps based on my tests. So in that case it could add up a lot. Now if we are only talking about voice calling then that's different which should be a lot less, maybe like 5-15Kbps instead.

the Skype FAQ lists video calls separately at 500-600kbps. what I posted was for Skype/Skype voice calling only (Skype/phone is lower). However, they gave two wildly conflicting numbers.

gohpep

Sorry, but Skype estimates 3Mb per minute, which is in fact equal to 50Kbps, since 50Kb * 60 = 3000Kb = 3Mb 

You misread the b in Mb to be uppercase instead of lowercase, so it is megabits, not megabytes.

Wolfram Alpha to back me up: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=50Kbps+to+Mb+per+minute

I'm trying to find out approximately how much data a Skype call uses, but I'm finding really bad numbers. Skype has an official FAQ about it here https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10853/how-much-data-will-skype-use-on-my-mobile-phone

but that is completely inconsistent, as 50kbps only adds up to 375KB, not the 3MB that Skype estimates. That makes a huge difference for an hour of calls (~22MB vs ~180MB). There's a lot of Skype forum topics that just parrot the official FAQ, so that doesn't help at all.

I also found this http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2010/07/dont-worry-about-saving-minutes-with-skype-think-data-use/

which is 0.66MB/min, in between the two Skype estimates. But it's from 2010 so may have changed by now.

Does anyone have current real-world experience with Skype data usage? About how much does it take for Skype-to-Skype calls or Skype-to-phone calls?

Thanks!

gohpep

Skype fixed their page.

Oh ok. I'm glad they stalk Neowin

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Copernic
      NetLimiter 4.1.9.0
      by Razvan Serea

NetLimiter is an ultimate internet traffic control and monitoring tool designed for Windows. You can use NetLimiter to set download/upload transfer rate limits for applications or even single connection and monitor their internet traffic. Along with this unique feature, Netlimiter offers comprehensive set of internet statistical tools. It includes real-time traffic measurement and long-term per-application internet traffic statistics.

Main NetLimiter features:

NetLimiter shows list of all applications communicating over network it's connections, transfer rates and more. You can use NetLimiter to set download or upload transfer rate limits for applications, connections or groups of them. With limits you can easily manage your internet connection's bandwidth (bandwidth shaper or bandwidth controller) Statistical tool lets you to track your internet traffic history since you've installed NetLimiter. Additional network information:

NetLimiter provides you with and additional information like WHOIS, traceroute etc. Rule scheduler, Remote administration, Connection blocker, Running as WinNT service, User rights, Chart, Advanced Rule editor and scheduler, Zone based traffic management... NetLimiter 4.1.9 bug fixes:

Client crash during stopping/closing of Connection Log.

In Rule list the Add Rule button was vertically misaligned (not centered) relative to other buttons.

Blank space between items in Rule list in Blocker removed. When clicked, all items were deselected.

Old NetLimiter notifications which were not manually viewed by the user are no longer repeatedly displayed, but deleted.

New features:

Weight column added to Rule list.

Weight added to Blocker Rule Info.

Clicking on filter name in Rule editor open the app/filter selector.

Weight 0 is now Default for rules in Rule editor.

Clear the zone combo box in Rule editor if the zone is not valid for selected filter.

Download: NetLimiter 4.1.9.0 | 7.2 MB (Shareware)
      View: NetLimiter Homepage

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By indospot
      Skype for Web now supports Safari on desktop and iOS
      by João Carrasqueira

If you're still using Microsoft's Skype, you may be happy to hear that the company has updated the chat app to version 8.71. While the new release doesn't bring any huge new features, there's a pretty significant addition for those using Skype for Web. Microsoft says the service is now compatible with "most browsers" on both mobile and desktop, which really seems to mean that Safari is now supported.

According to the support page Microsoft links to, Skype for Web still doesn't support Firefox, but it will work on Safari 13.1 or higher, and what's more impressive about that is that it actually works on both desktop and mobile devices, meaning macOS and iOS. Microsoft also mentions support for Microsoft Edge versions 43 or higher on mobile, but this likely only refers to iOS, where every browser is based on Safari's WebKit.

You'll see that Chromium-based browsers are not supported on mobile, meaning the Android versions of Edge and Chrome won't work, which we've been able to verify. That makes Microsoft's claim of supporting "virtually every desktop and mobile browser" somewhat dubious, but it should still be good news for iOS users who can't be bothered to install the Skype app.

Aside from the news for web users, there are only some smaller changes for desktop. It's now possible to rename Meet Now meetings when creating them, along with adding a photo to personalize them. Microsoft has also added new scenes for Together Mode, which was first implemented late last year.

Finally, Microsoft fixed some issues with the app, including a fix for iOS and Android users where their status could automatically change to active.

If you're interested, you can download your preferred version of Skype from here, or access the web version in your browser using this link. If you're using one of the Electron-based apps, it's worth noting that it got updated a couple of months ago to use a newer version of Electron with improved performance.

• By anmol112
      Microsoft Teams will soon get Breakout Rooms improvements and better bandwidth management
      by Anmol Mehrotra

Microsoft is working on a bunch of new features that will allow users to have better controls over the Breakout Rooms feature that was introduced to the platform last year.

The Redmond giant recently updated its roadmap webpage with new entries pointing at the upcoming improvements to the Breakout Rooms feature. Firstly, Microsoft is working adding extended management support to Breakout Rooms. The feature will allow an organiser to extend the management of Breakout Rooms to specific presenters. This should be great for an office setting where multiple people present during the course of the meeting and may require controls to Breakout Rooms. Not only that, but Microsoft is also working on UX improvements that will help organisers with the management, sorting and assignment of participants. Both the features are expected to roll out to Teams users in June 2021.

Furthermore, Microsoft is also working on support for pre-meeting Breakout Rooms creation. This will allow an organiser to assign participants to Breakout Rooms before the start of the meeting. The feature is expected to roll out to Teams users in May 2021.

Lastly, Microsoft is working on improving the bandwidth limit feature. The company recently added support for bandwidth management to Teams allowing users to use less data if they are on a metered connection. The company is now working on a feature that will allow admins to manage bandwidth for the organisations. Microsoft notes, the feature is intended for people who travel to locations with limited connectivity. As the feature relies on geo location data, the bandwidth limit will be applied only when a user is in a certain location. Microsoft is planning to rollout roaming bandwidth control to Teams users in May 2021.

Apart from the aforementioned features, Microsoft is also working with third-parties to make electronic attestation easier as well as add support for replies to individual messages. Moreover, the company will soon allow users to lock meetings, set Breakout Room timers and more. Microsoft has also added multiple new entries to Microsoft 365 Roadmap that are aimed at improving the polls feature by using AI and the company is working on letting users spotlight up to seven users and translate PowerPoint slideshows.

• By Copernic
      NetLimiter 4.1.8
      by Razvan Serea

NetLimiter is an ultimate internet traffic control and monitoring tool designed for Windows. You can use NetLimiter to set download/upload transfer rate limits for applications or even single connection and monitor their internet traffic. Along with this unique feature, Netlimiter offers comprehensive set of internet statistical tools. It includes real-time traffic measurement and long-term per-application internet traffic statistics.

NetLimiter shows list of all applications communicating over network it's connections, transfer rates and more. You can use NetLimiter to set download or upload transfer rate limits for applications, connections or groups of them. With limits you can easily manage your internet connection's bandwidth (bandwidth shaper or bandwidth controller) Statistical tool lets you to track your internet traffic history since you've installed NetLimiter. Additional network information:

NetLimiter provides you with and additional information like WHOIS, traceroute etc. Rule scheduler, Remote administration, Connection blocker, Running as WinNT service, User rights, Chart, Advanced Rule editor and scheduler, Zone based traffic management... NetLimiter 4.1.8 bug fixes:

Minor memory leak in Connection Log.

Incorrect time displayed in Connection Log when daylight saving time starts.

New features:

Location and domain name (when available) for an IP address is now displayed in ASK window for pending requests.

Stats Manager now does not start parsing of the Stats database after the launch.

Lots of internal improvements.

Download: NetLimiter 4.1.8 | 7.1 MB (Shareware)

• By Copernic
      NetLimiter 4.1.7.0
      by Razvan Serea

NetLimiter provides you with and additional information like WHOIS, traceroute etc. Rule scheduler, Remote administration, Connection blocker, Running as WinNT service, User rights, Chart, Advanced Rule editor and scheduler, Zone based traffic management... NetLimiter 4.1.7.0 bug fixes:

Wrongly displayed local machine name as a name of remote computer in Activity.

Remote connection was accidentally connecting to different machine than the selected-one.

New features:

You can use custom port number for remote connection. Download: NetLimiter 4.1.7.0 | 7.2 MB (Shareware)