Skype Data Usage

Go to solution Solved by primexx,

Question

primexx

I'm trying to find out approximately how much data a Skype call uses, but I'm finding really bad numbers. Skype has an official FAQ about it here https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10853/how-much-data-will-skype-use-on-my-mobile-phone

Skype-to-Skype calls: 50kbps or around 3MB for one minute of calling

but that is completely inconsistent, as 50kbps only adds up to 375KB, not the 3MB that Skype estimates. That makes a huge difference for an hour of calls (~22MB vs ~180MB). There's a lot of Skype forum topics that just parrot the official FAQ, so that doesn't help at all.

I also found this http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2010/07/dont-worry-about-saving-minutes-with-skype-think-data-use/

we made a five-minute call from Skype on an iPhone over 3G to another Skype user. During that time, we received 1.5MB of data and sent 1.8MB for a total of 3.3MB of data transmitted.

which is 0.66MB/min, in between the two Skype estimates. But it's from 2010 so may have changed by now.

Does anyone have current real-world experience with Skype data usage? About how much does it take for Skype-to-Skype calls or Skype-to-phone calls?

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

primexx

Sorry, but Skype estimates 3Mb per minute, which is in fact equal to 50Kbps, since 50Kb * 60 = 3000Kb = 3Mb 

You misread the b in Mb to be uppercase instead of lowercase, so it is megabits, not megabytes.

Wolfram Alpha to back me up: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=50Kbps+to+Mb+per+minute

Skype fixed their page.

funkydude

Looking at the Windows 8 task manager I have the Skype app stated as having used 84MB over the past month and I've barely used it.

If you're running Window 8 you can gauge it yourself, but I'm not sure if that would use more bandwidth than Skype for phones. It's possible that the phone version prefers a lower quality.

jakem1

Looking at the Windows 8 task manager I have the Skype app stated as having used 84MB over the past month and I've barely used it.

If you're running Window 8 you can gauge it yourself, but I'm not sure if that would use more bandwidth than Skype for phones. It's possible that the phone version prefers a lower quality.

I've never noticed that you can do that with Windows 8.  It's pretty cool.

I've used almost 14GB over the last month and I use it for about four hours of video calls a week. 

Roger H.

I think you are looking at Video calls and voice calls and getting confused. Which is it you are concerned about? I know video calls are about 300-500Kbps based on my tests. So in that case it could add up a lot. Now if we are only talking about voice calling then that's different which should be a lot less, maybe like 5-15Kbps instead.

primexx

I think you are looking at Video calls and voice calls and getting confused. Which is it you are concerned about? I know video calls are about 300-500Kbps based on my tests. So in that case it could add up a lot. Now if we are only talking about voice calling then that's different which should be a lot less, maybe like 5-15Kbps instead.

the Skype FAQ lists video calls separately at 500-600kbps. what I posted was for Skype/Skype voice calling only (Skype/phone is lower). However, they gave two wildly conflicting numbers.

gohpep

Sorry, but Skype estimates 3Mb per minute, which is in fact equal to 50Kbps, since 50Kb * 60 = 3000Kb = 3Mb 

You misread the b in Mb to be uppercase instead of lowercase, so it is megabits, not megabytes.

Wolfram Alpha to back me up: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=50Kbps+to+Mb+per+minute

I'm trying to find out approximately how much data a Skype call uses, but I'm finding really bad numbers. Skype has an official FAQ about it here https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10853/how-much-data-will-skype-use-on-my-mobile-phone

but that is completely inconsistent, as 50kbps only adds up to 375KB, not the 3MB that Skype estimates. That makes a huge difference for an hour of calls (~22MB vs ~180MB). There's a lot of Skype forum topics that just parrot the official FAQ, so that doesn't help at all.

I also found this http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2010/07/dont-worry-about-saving-minutes-with-skype-think-data-use/

which is 0.66MB/min, in between the two Skype estimates. But it's from 2010 so may have changed by now.

Does anyone have current real-world experience with Skype data usage? About how much does it take for Skype-to-Skype calls or Skype-to-phone calls?

Thanks!

gohpep

Skype fixed their page.

Oh ok. I'm glad they stalk Neowin

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By News Staff
      Download the free Quick Reference Card to Skype for Business
      by Steven Parker

Request your guide for free today, before this time-limited offer expires.

What's it about?
      This Skype for Business Quick Reference provides shortcuts, tips and tricks for the popular program.

Use this reference to brush up on the basics and to find alternative methods to your favorite commands. This printable quick reference is yours to use, distribute, and share at your organization!

Along with this free reference card, you will also receive more information from CustomGuide regarding their innovative interactive training and learning solutions to help improve the software skills of you and your staff for success in today's workplace.

How to get it
      Please ensure you read the terms and conditions to claim this offer. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this free offer. If you have previously made use of these free offers, you will not need to re-register. While supplies last!

>> Skype for Business - Quick Reference Card Free Download <<
      Offered by CustomGuide, view other free resources. Limited time offer

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other deals on offer you can check out here, but be aware that these are all time-limited offers. If you are uncomfortable sharing your details with a third-party sponsor, we understand. Check out the Neowin Store for our preferred partners.

Home Gym Giveaway | Ultimate Gaming Giveaway (feat. PlayStation 5 & Xbox Series X) Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Microsoft pokes fun at WhatsApp privacy fiasco, recommends Skype instead
      by Usama Jawad

WhatsApp recently updated its privacy policy, with users being notified that their data would be shared with Facebook and other companies. While people can opt out for now, this will become a mandatory requirement to accept after February 8. The service received a lot of criticism for the move, especially considering that it stated that no such thing would happen when it was acquired by Facebook back in 2014. Prominent figures including Elon Musk are now urging the public to move to Signal, with the platform seeing a massive spike in new registrations.

Now, Microsoft's social media team has poked fun at the fiasco as well, and recommended that users migrate to Skype.

In a tweet from the official Skype account, Microsoft has boasted that it keeps the personal data of users private and does not share it with third-parties:

Additionally, the URL points to Microsoft's privacy policy statement, which outlines what kind of data the firm collects from users and how it is used. It's a lengthy page that most people will ignore, but it's recommended that you go through it if you are indeed considering migrating from WhatsApp due to privacy concerns.

Despite all the backlash, it seems a bit unlikely that WhatsApp will reverse course. The firm probably anticipated this feedback, and is likely banking on the furore to die down within the next few weeks.

• By indospot
      Skype borrows Together Mode from Teams and adds new virtual backgrounds
      by João Carrasqueira

Many would argue that Microsoft's Skype is on its deathbed, but the company keeps updating the communication service with new features. Microsoft is now rolling out version 8.67 of Skype to users on multiple platforms, and it once again borrows new features from Teams, which is Microsoft's biggest focus as far as instant communication goes.

The highlight of this release is Together Mode, a new view for group video calls. With Together Mode, users can see every participant in the call as if they were in the same place, like a classroom or a coffee shop. The goal is to make the experience feel more natural as if users were actually together. This debuted in Teams back in the summer, but Skype users now get to try it out too. The changelog only mentions support for the feature on desktop versions of Skype, but this support article suggests it's also available on mobile devices.

Together Mode in Microsoft Teams Aside from Together Mode, the new version of Skype brings new virtual backgrounds for video calls for desktop users. It's also now possible to add new people to an ongoing call using their phone number (on all platforms), and for Android 11 devices, Skype now supports chat bubbles, priority conversations, and the conversation space.

For Amazon Kindle Fire users, there's also a brand-new version of Skype rolling out, though there's no mention of what's new. Kindle devices have been stuck with an older version of Skype, which is similar to Skype on Android 5.1 or earlier.

Aside from the new additions, Microsoft has also fixed some notable issues with Skype:

The update should be available now, but it's still rolling out, so don't be surprised if you don't see it right away. If you haven't yet, you can download Skype here.

• By Copernic
      NetLimiter 4.1.3.0 [Update]
      by Razvan Serea

NetLimiter is an ultimate internet traffic control and monitoring tool designed for Windows. You can use NetLimiter to set download/upload transfer rate limits for applications or even single connection and monitor their internet traffic. Along with this unique feature, Netlimiter offers comprehensive set of internet statistical tools. It includes real-time traffic measurement and long-term per-application internet traffic statistics.

Main NetLimiter features:

NetLimiter shows list of all applications communicating over network it's connections, transfer rates and more. You can use NetLimiter to set download or upload transfer rate limits for applications, connections or groups of them. With limits you can easily manage your internet connection's bandwidth (bandwidth shaper or bandwidth controller) Statistical tool lets you to track your internet traffic history since you've installed NetLimiter. Additional network information:

NetLimiter provides you with and additional information like WHOIS, traceroute etc. Rule scheduler, Remote administration, Connection blocker, Running as WinNT service, User rights, Chart, Advanced Rule editor and scheduler, Zone based traffic management... NetLimiter 4.1.2.0 release notes:

Version 4.1.2 brings all improvements from previous releases in a stable release.

New features:

NetLimiter now requires .NET Framework 4.6.2 installed on the system to be able to run.

Changes in NetLimiter 4.1.3.0:

Connection History crash when sorting IP address column. Bug causing loss of access rights for current user when editing user permissions. Download: NetLimiter 4.1.3.0 | 7.1 MB (Shareware)
      View: NetLimiter Homepage

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Abhay V
      Skype 8.66 begins rolling out with support for up to 100 call participants
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Microsoft has begun rolling out Skype 8.66 to all users less than three weeks after making it available to users in the preview. The release notes for this latest version are not different from the one released to preview users, with the biggest feature being the addition of support for up to 100 participants in a Skype call.

With the advent of the pandemic forcing users into working remotely, video conferencing platforms have gained popularity due to the need for remote collaboration and networking. While the Redmond firm’s own offerings like Teams gained the ability to host up to 300 participants, Skype had been limited to 50, until now. Of course, Teams is aimed at businesses and offers much more functionality for remote collaboration.

Regardless, small businesses, educators, and even general consumers that rely on Skype for meetings can now add up to 100 participants on the desktop, web, and mobile platforms.

Additionally, there is the usual suite of bug fixes that accompany the new features:

Small tweaks like the fix for new messages not showing up will indeed improve the usability of the app. Microsoft says that the rollout is gradual, so it should be a couple of days till the update shows up for all users.