Visual Basic - Need help showing multiple words

Question

This is my Code, and i have been trying to make thebutton so that it will automatically show everything from Mercury venus and etc and i have make it so that it show Mercury - Pluto in seperate lines but than i am not able to make it to show the name instead it only show String[]Array in every line any ideas how to fix it so that instead of string[]Array it will show each name correctly. Below is the picture attached as an example of how thefinal result will look like

Public Class Form1

Private Sub btnShow_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnShow.Click

'Number of planets before Pluto was "let go"

Const intNUM_PLANETS As Integer = 9

'Planet names

Dim strArrayPlanetNames() As String =

{"Mercury", "Venus", "Earth", "Mars", "Jupiter", "Saturn", "Uranus", "Neptune", "Pluto"}

'diameter of each planet in miles

Dim dblArrayPlanetSizes() As Double =

{3031, 7521, 7926, 4223, 88846, 74898, 31763, 30800, 1430}

strArrayPlanetNames = {"Mercury", "Venus", "Earth", "Mars", "Jupiter", "Saturn", "Uranus", "Neptune", "Pluto"}

For intX = 0 To intNUM_PLANETS - 1

'output name and size 

lstPlanets.Items.Add(strArrayPlanetNames)

'output bar chart on next line

Next

End Sub

End Class

post-503111-0-71963900-1376869167.png

11 answers to this question

Public Class Form1

Private Sub btnShow_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnShow.Click

'Number of planets before Pluto was "let go"'

'Planet names'

{"Mercury", "Venus", "Earth", "Mars", "Jupiter", "Saturn", "Uranus", "Neptune", "Pluto"}

'diameter of each planet in miles'

'output name and size'

lstPlanets.Items.Add(strArrayPlanetNames(intX))

lstPlanets.Items.Add(dblArrayPlanetSizes(intX))

'output bar chart on next line'

Next

End Sub

Private Sub btnClear_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnClear.Click

lstPlanets.Items.Clear()

End Sub

Private Sub btnExit_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnExit.Click

End

End Sub

End Class

So this is basically what i have done but then i want to make it that the Mercury 3031 but right now it's Mercury then below it 3031 and below it Venus and below it 7521 so yeah i want to make the Planet names beside the dblArrayPlanetSizes

It looks like you're passing your string array into the list box, what you actually want to do is pass the string at each location in the array.

See my change to your code:

'Planet names'

strArrayPlanetNames = {"Mercury", "Venus", "Earth", "Mars", "Jupiter", "Saturn", "Uranus", "Neptune", "Pluto"}

'output name and size'

'Use the string, not the array...'
        ' vvv CHANGED THIS LINE BELOW vvv'
        lstPlanets.Items.Add(strArrayPlanetNames(intX))

Next

End Sub

If you don't mind some constructive criticism, a few pointers:

• Why set the contents of strArrayPlanetNames twice? You've doing it at the top of the function, and then again after you've declared the array of planet sizes?
  • It's generally preferred not to include type information in variable names in a strongly typed language. So normally variables called "planetNames" and "x" would be preferred instead of "strArrayPlanetNames" and "intX" respectively. If you need the type information, your IDE (e.g. Visual Studio) can provide you with this.
  • Please put your code inside "[ code]CODE GOES HERE[ /code]" tags in your posts (like I did). Makes it easier for the rest of us to read :).

Hey thanks Majestic i'll try to do that on the future but then once again if you only put 0 it will only show the Mercury but i want it to show everything First Mercury Second Venus then Third Earth and so on i tried doing from 0 - 9 does not work also what else can i do to show all 0 - 9

You should be using strArrayPanetNames(intX)

The default value converting an arraylist to a string is the type's name. That's why you're ending up with the undesired result.

Is this Windows Forms or WPF? There's an easier trick if it's WPF.

• Like 1

Hey thanks Majestic i'll try to do that on the future but then once again if you only put 0 it will only show the Mercury but i want it to show everything First Mercury Second Venus then Third Earth and so on i tried doing from 0 - 9 does not work also what else can i do to show all 0 - 9

Whoops my mistake! Replace the zero with "intX" and you're good to go!

I updated my post :blush:

Sounds like a similar problem, you're trying to add an integer to an array object, rather than an element in the array. At a guess, you've probably got a line in your code that looks like this:

' WRONG! Can't add an integer to an array.'
something = intSomeNumber + dblArrayOfNumbers
You're probably trying to do this:

' RIGHT! Add together an integer and an element in the array...'
something = intSomeNumber + dblArrayOfNumbers(intY)
'                                            ^^^^^^'
'                                            Note where brackets are used to indicate which number in the array youre trying to access.'

So i have been struggling out trying to figure out how to make 1000 = * i did it with my other project but it uses loops :

For StoreCount = 1 To 5
            strSalesData = InputBox("Enter sales data for store " & StoreCount.ToString)

If strSalesData <> "" Then
                intSales = CInt(strSalesData)

strLine = "Store " & StoreCount.ToString & ": "
                For StarCount = 1 To intSales Step 100
                    strLine &= "* "
                Next
                lstChartOut.Items.Add(strLine)
            End If
        Next
but then i tried using different code and trying different thing also with this code does not seem to find a way out so right not this is my code what can i add to for each 1000 = *

Public Class Form1

'Planet names'

'output name and size'
            lstPlanets.Items.Add(strArrayPlanetNames(intX) & "      " & dblArrayPlanetSizes(intX))

Next

End Sub

Private Sub btnClear_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnClear.Click
        lstPlanets.Items.Clear()
    End Sub

Private Sub btnExit_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnExit.Click
        End
    End Sub
End Class