[cisco] passthrough possible?

Hi if a Cisco switch that is one building is connected to a Cisco switch in another building is it possible to forward all packets from one port on one switch to another port on the other switch so that you could run a connection between two devices in two separate buildings via the switch?

I don't see why not, I think you could just VLAN the port on each side and then the traffic will only pass through those ports on either end.

That is how switches work. 

Computer A sends a packet for Computer B, the switch network knows where Computer A and Computer B are and directs traffic only to that computer.  If Computer B would be a Printer or a Phone on the network, it would make no difference...only the traffic intended for the device would go do the device.  This is basic layer 2 switching btw.

Yes of course, I just assumed from what he said that he wanted to segregate the traffic properly to control exactly which port the information could be accessed from, I have had this come up before with regards to a high end cctv system so they could control access to the camera's physically by limiting the ports that could talk to the kit.

As far as I am aware that should not present a problem, however my networking knowledge is limited to what I have messed with before so I am sure some of the others will be along shortly to help.

I think I may have answered my own question in that switches only forward packets not signals so I think a wire from building A to building B is the only way

What kind of phone are you talking about?  Switches only work with networking packets (IPX/SPX, TCP/IP, Netbeui, Apple Talk, etc) they don't do analog phone calls. 

Sorry would have been here sooner but had to go on a conference call about a services move.

The network will not support those phones.  The 3800 is capable of VoIP but the phones are not VoIP.  The optiPoint 410 and optiPoint 420 IP telephones are and would work with the 3800 and would all you to accomplish what you are trying to do.  I don't know if there is licensing or module that you would have to purchase to make that system be able to talk to the 410 or 420 phones.