PS4 does not support games on external HD

All this arguing and it looks like external support won't even be there at launch of the Xbox One http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=667437

Not too fussed considering there won't even be enough games at launch to physically fill up the HDD. Just hopefully they push it out to the end or the start of next year.

Not too fussed considering there won't even be enough games at launch to physically fill up the HDD. Just hopefully they push it out to the end or the start of next year.

Not sure i'd be able to fill 500GB that quickly either. So long as it's not years down the line. Which i doubt it would be.

Yeh I agree - I buy a console and i expect it to come with the space it needs.  500gb is more than enough!

You should have seen the uproar from the Sony boys on here when it was announced the XB1 wouldn;t have a user swappable internal drive. "raaaaaaaaaaaaar 500GB is tiny, i'll fill it in a day blah blah" Was cringe worthy attempts at bashing for the sake of bashing.

I said i wouldn't make a decision on my next console buy until i'd seen both in the wild and seen some real performance figures but i must say in the last few weeks i've been won over by the XB1. I'll still wait till they're both out though before making that final call.

Not too fussed considering there won't even be enough games at launch to physically fill up the HDD. Just hopefully they push it out to the end or the start of , year.

On top of that its a nonissue of you buy digitally. If you fill up your drive you can still delete and redownload games, and play while they download.

Just another poor attempt at bashing a console over a nonissue by AB. The whole hard drive thing wasn't a big deal 8 years ago and its not a big deal today.

Sorry, I can't quote....

This message is for Hawkman....

Hard drives are easier than ever to install.  SATA couldn't be easier. After finding a place to install the hard drive physically in the system.  Make sure you know what version of SATA you are installing, find that port on motherboard, plug in SATA cable for that port.  Find SATA port in back of hard drive, plug cable into that, then insert SATA power cable into back of hard drive.  Stick OS disk in Optical drive, boot and then install/partition/format.  Do OS updates and install anti-virus/security and the programs you want to use.  Done and enjoy....

In the case of Sony, you don't have to worry about anything above, find old hard drive and take it out, insert new hard drive in the same place, add cables in for data and power, close case and go.

Do you guys remember Master and Slave on IDE, that could be confusing if you didn't set the dip switches on the hard drives, you could for example format the wrong drive.  Now all of that stuff is the past.

None of this is as easy as finding an empty USB 3.0 port on the back and plugging it in and then going.  Done.

One cable for both data and power for USB 3.0 is all you need.

I know they are easier than ever to install, but I also service the computers for many of these "core" gamers, a lot of them are just gamers and not techie at all. As in they wouldn't think of even opening the side door of their case.

I think I have found my answer and it's terrible... :(

https://twitter.com/antic604/status/372360213661114369

Basically, it goes like this on the PS4 according to that tweet.

1) If you use the Bluray disk to play your games, you cannot install on the hard drive at all.  Period.  You can ONLY play on the disk.

2) You can only install to your hard drive if you do digital downloads for the game.

What this means is that you have no choice if you buy the optical drive version, you are forced to play it off the disk and then if you do

digital downloads that is great but if you replace your hard drive in the PS4, you then have to redownload all that.

yeah dude not great at all.

The PS4 really sounds disappointing.  

1) Installing an external hard drive is superior in this case.  You don't lose your games, you add to them. 

2) The Xbox One has a compressed format that is downloaded in a compress form and installed in a compressed form on the hard drive, this means it's faster to download and it takes up a lot less space on your hard drive.

Installing to the hard drive allows there to be less load times and faster game play than running off of a bluray disk and also allows much quieter operation and allows the developer to easily make changes to the game on the hard drive.

are we mixing up "installing a game on the harddrive" vs "being able to play without the disc" ?

how does any of this changes anything when compared to the pS3?

What this means is that you have no choice if you buy the optical drive version, you are forced to play it off the disk and then if you do

digital downloads that is great but if you replace your hard drive in the PS4, you then have to redownload all that.

If it works the same as the PS3 you can backup your whole drive to any external USB device, and then restore it on your new HD. No need to redownload anything.

On top of that its a nonissue of you buy digitally. If you fill up your drive you can still delete and redownload games, and play while they download.

Just another poor attempt at bashing a console over a nonissue by AB. The whole hard drive thing wasn't a big deal 8 years ago and its not a big deal today.

Sensitive much? Microsoft's decision not to have external support at launch has absolutely nothing to do with me, and is wholely relevant to the discussion in here.

If it works the same as the PS3 you can backup your whole drive to any external USB device, and then restore it on your new HD. No need to redownload anything.

I think you missed the OP.

I think you missed the OP.

Backing up your hard drive isn't the same as installing games to it. The PS3 supports external drives for media and/or backing up, but not installing games. The backup utility has existed since launch, or near launch anyway.

It simply clones your internal drive.

Backing up your hard drive isn't the same as installing games to it. The PS3 supports external drives for media and/or backing up, but not installing games. The backup utility has existed since launch, or near launch anyway.

It simply clones your internal drive.

No, I didn't  :huh: backing up your internal drive on an external device has nothing to do with games support on external hard drives.

My bad, totally forgot about that tool. I've never had to do anything like that on mine.

I know that the external HDD support for the Xbox One will be released soon after launch, but I would like to see the same be done for the Xbox 360. As right now, external drives are repartitioned with up to a maximum partition of 32GB for all things Xbox. Removing that limit would be great! They won't sell many HDD accessories for the Xbox 360 anymore with the Xbox One coming and supporting this setup.

My bad, totally forgot about that tool. I've never had to do anything like that on mine.

Me neither. I was considering doing that just these days to replace the HD with a bigger one since I'm collecting quite a few titles from the PSN+ and it'll eventually fill up but I'm feeling a bit lazy tbh  :D

Which is also why many consider this thread to be useless, seeing as people can already change out the drive as it stands. An external drive seems to be an answer to a problem people won't have with the PS4.

But XBONE supports game installs on external HDD. Why is the gaming media not blasting Sony over this?

Because the PS4's internal drive can be upgraded, so its really not a big deal?

Listen to music, watch movies and TV shows etc.

Stream stream steam...from services or your computer.

Because the PS4's internal drive can be upgraded, so its really not a big deal?

Yes, it can be upgraded, once I hit the max, I can switch it up, but that means I would also have to re-download all the things that I already had. That's an inconvenience. Especially if my games are all digital.

what does not being available at launch have to do with what people are arguing about? should people in regions that the consoles are not available in at launch be excluded from xbox one and ps4 discussions?

Remember the rules,

- XB1 must support every feature that PS4 will have.

- PS4 doesn't need to support every feature that XB1 will have.

Keep those in mind and these threads will be easier to discuss.

One thing I don't understand is why don't Sony and Microsoft provide both options on both consoles, as there are obvious advantages in each of those features.

Designing the console so the HD can be easily replaced is certainly not that hard, and I would assume than allowing game installs on external storage isn't either.

Well, then I am confused because that isn't what Yoshida said.

Yoshida said that the PS4 won't have game support on external drives, which the PS3 also doesn't have.

You don't need game support to backup your internal drive contents (including games) to an external usb device though, because you won't be playing the games from said external device.

Then again they might announce later that they would remove the backup feature (not likely as it wouldn't make any sense, but still possible) but that would be a completely different issue from this one.

Yes, it can be upgraded, once I hit the max, I can switch it up, but that means I would also have to re-download all the things that I already had. That's an inconvenience. Especially if my games are all digital.

Yes, it's an inconvenience, but not because you have to re-download all your games but because you have to back them up on another drive.

Or re-download them, of course, but backing up is obviously faster not just because of the connection speed but because you won't have to track down every single item you had previously installed.

Backing up and restoring on the new drive would be a one time thing, but still time consuming.

Which is also why many consider this thread to be useless, seeing as people can already change out the drive as it stands. An external drive seems to be an answer to a problem people won't have with the PS4.

You read my post, so you know the scenarios where I see myself wanting to use an external for everything. 

Its too bad the X1 isn't getting the support at launch, but as long as it doesn't take too long, the 500gb drive will be enough for a while for me. 

But anyway, this topic has been done to death, arguing against extra features seems ridiculous, but some people in this thread love doing it.

The PS4 has a 2.5 laptop hard drive inside and how do you get away from breaking the warranty if you have to open the box and replace the hard drive.

Although it's not a hard thing to do, how many people outside of the hard core of the hard core gamers are going to know how to do this?

Also, it's not nearly as easy as plugging in a cable that can only go in one way on the Xbox One.

I think not having an external drive on the PS4 is dumb.   Sorry, I am going to say it.  I think it's really dumb and it proves to me that this system isn't as well

thought out as it should have been.