Microsoft buys Nokia devices and services

Talking from WP perspective, Nokia is adding many features on top of existing WP GDRs. So Once this is done, will they[Nokia team] continue the same?

I think this means that the Nokia team is going to be directly working hand in hand with MSs OS team even more and that many of these current Nokia only OS tweaks should find their way to be used by other OEMs as well.  Things like Nokias tap to wake option in GDR2/Amber, that can now just be part of the OS and used by any OEM.   It's these types of things that the head of the OS group at MS talked about when he said that buying Nokia helps other OEMs as well. 

To end users though, it should mean a boost in the output of Lumia devices, because Nokia didn't have the ability to make them fast enough and we saw this slow roll out of new devices to markets, like the Lumia 1020 isn't going to hit Asia till October I think?   MS can inject money into it and boost the production more, also offer the devices at better prices because they can live with taking a smaller margin than Nokia could've financially. 

There's also the big thing with the patents that the naysayers like to just skip.  Before there was no way Nokia would let other WP OEMs use these unless they paid, and probably paid a good chunk of cash for.  Now those just become part of the WP license for use on WP devices which adds value to owning and paying for that license as well.

@GP007, I wanted the same. But let Nokia/MS Lumia phones get faster updates and features than others. MS needs to speed up a lot in WP.

Since Win 8.1 is over and probably next major release is Win 8.2 or Win 9 over next two years, MS can put some quick brilliants on WP and finish things much faster

@GP007, I wanted the same. But let Nokia/MS Lumia phones get faster updates and features than others. MS needs to speed up a lot in WP.

Since Win 8.1 is over and probably next major release is Win 8.2 or Win 9 over next two years, MS can put some quick brilliants on WP and finish things much faster

WP should pick up it's development speed now that it's part of the main OS group and not off under Entertainment & Devices like before.  Windows and Windows Phone are all part of the same team with the new reorg.

Ok people, seriously stop with the mole thing.

The Nokia BOARD took in Elop with the specific mission of migrating to WP, it was pretty much already decided by their they where going WP before he was hired, that's why they fired the previous guy. Despite this, Elop actually looked at other alternatives.

And Elop has actually turned the company from a death spiral to a good solid rise.

Yep.. Nokia's board where certain members are also sitting on the board of Microsoft and all have much more money and benefits to gain from Microsoft swallowing up Nokia for patents and weakening the company to near bankruptcy (hint, they would have been broke next year).

Most of those board members played the game to bring Elop, for their own benefits...Most of the original Nokia board didn't actually want Elop.. 

Elop was forced in there to do his job for Microsoft ..and boy did he do an amazing job.. this type of effective destruction of once one of the most powerful companies in mobile technology, is in a sense disturbing.

Ye'll do great /s 

He'll run MS into the ground like he did Nokia, I really hop the MS board is smarter than that and get a competent CEO

So much facepalm and ignorance in one comment.

Yeah, those 3.5% globally and 7-10% in Europe is absolutely no one...

Pretty much, 3.5% marketshare is nothing considering how long MS have been pushing their mobile OS.

Yep.. Nokia's board where certain members are also sitting on the board of Microsoft and all have much more money and benefits to gain from Microsoft swallowing up Nokia for patents and weakening the company to near bankruptcy (hint, they would have been broke next year).

Most of those board members played the game to bring Elop, for their own benefits...Most of the original Nokia board didn't actually want Elop..

Elop was forced in there to do his job for Microsoft ..and boy did he do an amazing job.. this type of effective destruction of once one of the most powerful companies in mobile technology, is in a sense disturbing.

Can you give me a full lis of MS and Nokia board members before Elop was hired with official sources to back up your claim.

Besides hat I don't think you understand how boards and board appointments work.

Their best interest in whatever outcome would be for both companies to make as much money as possible, having MS swallow Nokia provides no benefit to the board members

All the arguing on this thread is completely useless. We all know that Nokia phones will be available for many years to come. Proof of a future Nokia dumbphone right here:

trek_nokia.jpg

(I guess the communicators must be made by MS and must be the smartphones of that era...  :ike: )

And with all the hand-wringing about Nokia losing the phone part of the business - well it's not like Nokia haven't drastically changed their focus before - they started as a paper mill, have made tyres and boots, and other things before they moved into telecommunications. And they're still in telecommunications, but they're not making phones, they're doing back-end infrastructure. Obviously the board thinks that the old Nokia Siemens Networks (now Nokia) is the area in which they can be most competitive, and that the phone business is best given to someone else...

If only anyone cared about unity and Ubuntu. Heck not even 1% of the Ubuntu users and hardcore fans wanted it.

I don't know where you get such statistics (1%).I state that there are very few people using linux or dual boot linux and windows (like me), But I think a lot of people would appreciate anticipated innovations if the Ubuntu uniform platform that MS is trying to accomplish(good luck with that) is really accomplished the way they say.

i haven't used unity on a phone.. but on a PC it's very clunky.. more clunky than windows 8's metro

No one used unity on a phone. Weird though, I find my 12.04 LTS Unity quite usable and crash free.

My 2 cents

Not sure what's exciting about it.. Microsoft managed to kill one of the great mobile companies.. They put up an incompetent idiot who would destroy Nokia and then Microsoft would buy it for relatively cheap.

This was Elop's whole duty.. from the very beginning.

And with this, when Windows Phone completely goes belly up, so will Nokia and Microsoft will in the end just get their patents and try to extort everyone else to pay them a fee since they are miserable failure in pretty much anything mobile. 

Elop was recruited. And he never did anything except help save the company. So.... (N)

EDIT: You call 7.2 billion CHEAP?!

you are just ******* unless you have the source to backup.

There are many Android fans crying in the corner ... dreaming about Nokia Android phones !!! ... lol ...

There were people, non Android users, that were saying Nokia should do Android.  But thanks for the comment.....

Wow, they will soon be the only manufacturer using Windows Phone. WP is definitely dead soon. Microsoft is shooting itself in the leg by making hardware for the operating systems they sell.

Apple is the only manufacturer of the iPhone. Your point?

I think this means that the Nokia team is going to be directly working hand in hand with MSs OS team even more and that many of these current Nokia only OS tweaks should find their way to be used by other OEMs as well.of the WP license for use on WP devices which adds value to owning and paying for that license as well.

Considering Nokia was able to provide true Bluetooth 4.0 low energy support for it's Lumia's before MS could build it into the OS (and let's not forget WP 7.x never had complete Bluetooth serial profiles, hence no peripheral support from devs), they can use the expertise on staff.

Look at any BT lifestyle device: iPhone, tons of apps, smart BT connect. Even Android, significant apps, BT though no BT Smart. Then look at same for Windows Phone 7.x and 8.x, no support or on obscure useless app with a custom driver to provide bare minimum, meaningless connectivity with a custom BT driver.

Hopefully this will all change now. If it does, Apple will not be happy.

im not surprised this happened at all ... i think everyone seen this coming ..  i'm excited to see what they  push out ive said this before they one thing stopping me from jumping to windows phone is the market 

new line-up:

NoBox, Noface, Novice (Nokia-Office), NoWind, NoStudy (Nokia visual Studio)

brought to you by NoSoft, since the "micro" from "Microsoft" no longer releveant.

Uh...Microsoft did not buy "NOKIA" brand. (I know you were joking but..)

I expect it now,  GDR3 opens up WP to more device types and so on.  HTC has to do more and just releasing another top end Android handset isn't enough, now LG sells more than them last I read per quarter when they used to be top dog. 

HTC's first real Windows Phones were 8X and 8S last year where they actually put some efforts into designing them (still based on the One X series though) but let it languish by not supporting them after release.

I have no hopes of them taking WP seriously anytime soon. They are still chasing the Android dream which keeps on failing them.

uh..If I read today's new right - Microsoft did not buy any patents as part of the deal. I guess the rest of your post is full of **** as usual.

There were people, non Android users, that were saying Nokia should do Android.  But thanks for the comment.....

Considering that most of non-Android users are iPhone users, their opinion has no merit.

I don't see why people think this is bad for Nokia. Nokia was never interested in Android anyways for those wanting that. Elop will still head up the phone designs, and in fact with Microsofts research division this could only be better. Nokia as already been the face of WP for the past year or so. I rarely see a Samsung or HTC WP ad anymore, however like the Google/Motorola deal other OEMs will still be able to produce phones 

Man! That's breaking! And I really want now that Microsoft would buy Google!

and after that  Microgle should merge with Intel

to usher a new level of Monopolist-ism and prices through the roof 

what a monstrosity 

Apple is the only manufacturer of the iPhone. Your point?

My point is that OEMs now start seriously think whether it's worth to them trying to compete Microsoft. They have already been cautious whether Windows Phone becomes successfull or not and if it's wise to do any phones on that platform. There is a chance that their mobile platform and tablets never takes wind, to make Windows Phene successfull they would be better with multiple OEM vendors. Microsoft hasn't ever been successfull on hardware market except for xbox so this was a risky move.

There is high chances that this 7bn investment is worth nothing in couple of years.

I love W8 and and Windows Phone, I just think that they made a bad decision.