Need help networking

I have two computers that I want to network, I have a ARESCOM DSL modem through MSN/Qwest service, I have a Linksys Broadband router, my one PC has a Linksys NIC, the other has built in LAN controller (SiS 645 chipset 900 PCI LAN), I am using Cat5 "cross-over" RJ-45 line to connect, File sharing works fine, but internet sharing does not work at all on either computer, the DSL modem is plugged into the WAN plug on the router, and the 2 comps are on plugs 1 and 2, I need help, is it something as simple as changing IE LAN settings or my TCP/IP settings? anyone?

no you don't .. XP (i'm guessing) would configure itself and so with anything with IE 5 or higher... the WAN port though? Isn't that Wide Area Network (which would be wireless, that you aren't using) there should be a port for the cable modem or DSL so check your router book again...

whoa.. hold up.. why do you use a cross over cable if you got a router? Crossover cables are to be used if you're connecting to computers directly to each other which can't be done with regular Cat-5 cable. You'll need 2 normal cat-5 cables connected to your router and the router connected to your DSL.... so to simplify it should be like this:

INTERNET

|

| < - Cat-5 Cable

|

DSL Modem

|

| < - Cat-5 Cable

|

Router

/

/ < - Cat 5 Cable

/

Computer A Computer B

With it connected like this then everything should work fine. YOu'll be able to share info from computers and drives and play games and all that.. and each computer will be able to connect to the internet independently so one doesn't rely on the other for access. That should solve everything.. read your router manual carefully.

ok, thanks, I'll clean install XP pro again on both comps, and run the crossover from the DSL to the router and buy normal cat5 for the comps, if that doesn't work i'll be back

Originally posted by Intelligen

wrong, you need cat5 cable to go from router ports to each computer, but you need a cat5 CROSSOVER from your dsl modem to your router.....

That's not necesarily true either, as SHoTTa35 suggests, check the manual, you may need all "normal" CAT-5's or the one for the Modem may need to be cross-over.

Which Model is the modem? it seems that either model has an uplink option on the WAN port so you could get away with either type of cable.

using the crossover for the DSL, the router doesn't recognize it (as in my WAN light isn't on), my router is a Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Wireless-Ready Router with 4-Port switch, model BEFSR41W, my modem is a ARESCOM NetDSL 800, my manual says the PC-connection will accept either cross-over or normal RJ-45, and says nothing about the DSL, another thing I found, the router acts as a DHCP server, so still the internet is nonfunctional

There is no need for a crossover cable in your situation. You should be using straight cables because the router, will be doing all the crossing for you. That's what a router/hub essentially does. Routes traffic to different computers. Do you have the router set up as DHCP? Do you have a static IP or dynamic IP. If you get your IP automatically from your ISP, then all you need is a hub and to set both your computers to obtain IP address automatically. I had this set up at home, Verizon DSL----->5-port HUB------->2 computers.

Nothing to it!! Hope it works out for you.

Originally posted by SHoTTa35

i don't think you should be pluggin it in the WAN port unless there's something else i don't know..

Thats exactly what he should be doin, so that is something else you don't know, :D

Have you tried this? (using straight through cabled all round)

1. Power everything down, including your PCs, your Cable or DSL modem and the Router. (Could be a good idea to leave them all off overnight)

2. Connect a Network cable from one of your PCs? Ethernet ports to one of the LAN Ports on the back of the Router. Do the same with all the PCs you wish to connect to the Router.

3. Connect the network cable from your Cable or DSL modem to the WAN port on the rear of the Router.

4. Connect the power-adapter cable to the Power port on the rear of the Router, and then plug the other end into a power outlet.

? The Power LED will illuminate green as soon as the power adapter is connected.

? The Diag LED will illuminate red for a few seconds while the Router goes through its internal diagnostic test. The LED will turn off when the self-test is complete.

5. Power on the Cable or DSL modem. Verify that the power is on by checking the WAN LED on the front of the Router. The Link LED will be illuminated if the power is on and the modem is ready.

well at this point i can't even access my router settings (through IE http://192.168.1.1) and I don't feel like buying another $30 worth of cable, so I'm just gonna go ahead and buy a hub for the internet and a few extra NICs to hook it all together, I know it will work for sure that way

a quick question, what is the difference between the hub and a switch?

cuz for internet i'm gonna bypass the router completely and go with a hub for internet sharing, should i buy a hub or a switch?

A hub shares all the bandwidth, so like if you have 5 ports you split the bandwidth by 1/5 for each port. A switch uses mac address and has full duplex capability, in other words full bandwidth to each port.

If you ever have a decision between hub and switch, go for a SWITCH!!!!!

also it eliminates the collision domains.... except for broadcasts.....

while hubs do not.