Batman Petition: Call For Affleck To Be Dropped

Thousands of disgruntled movie fans have signed a petition saying Ben Affleck does not have the "acting skill" or intimidation factor to play Batman.

Despite being hailed as an "extraordinary actor" by studio bosses, many fans have reacted angrily to the casting.

The actor was revealed as the Caped Crusader earlier this week and will star alongside Henry Cavill in the next Man Of Steel movie.

But more than 51,000 people have signed the petition stating "his acting skill is not even close to being believable as Bruce Wayne".

"He won't do the role justice," the petition says.

"He's not built, nor is he intimidating enough for the role of Batman.

"His portrayal of Daredevil was atrocious and he's not remotely close to an action star. Please find someone else."

The creator of the Change.org petition, John Roden, said he respected Affleck's work but felt he was "inappropriate for the role".

"We needed an extraordinary actor to take on one of DC Comics' most enduringly popular super heroes, and Ben Affleck certainly fits that bill, and then some," said Greg Silverman, president of creative development at Warner Bros Pictures.

more

"He's not built, nor is he intimidating enough for the role of Batman."

As Christian Bale proved, size means nothing. He moved from his physique for The Machinist to his bear-like build for Batman in several months or something.

I'm not sure what to make of the "intimidating" comment though. Batman is intimidating, but it's because of his costume and the way he acts, not because of whoever is underneath the suit.

I'm not going one way or the other anymore, I'll wait until it comes out. The only issue I have so far is that he doesn't look like how I imagine Bruce Wayne to look. There's that dark and brooding side to Bruce Wayne that I can't see Ben Affleck doing too well with, but like I said I will wait and see.

• Like 2

I was going to ask if there was a petition to somehow invalidate this petition, but then I remembered that online petitions don't mean d**k anyway.

Change.org

No. Just no. Get over it nerds. These are probably the same idiots who wanted to put together a class action lawsuit because they didn't like the Mass Effect 3 ending.

I was going to ask if there was a petition to somehow invalidate this petition, but then I remembered that online petitions don't mean d**k anyway.

Agreed. Change.org and that stupid White house petition site can't go away fast enough. Slacktivism to the extreme.

LOL Hurmoth - fair comment.

Why do comicbook fanboys feel so entitled though?  The seem to act as if they believe studios should be at their behest.  I know they spend money on comics and thus feel invested, but really?

sign me on, we need a better fit, Affleck just doesnt cut it 

Why? Have you seen the film already?

I seem to recall some people saying the same thing about Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight.

• Like 2

LOL Hurmoth - fair comment.

Why do comicbook fanboys feel so entitled though?  The seem to act as if they believe studios should be at their behest.  I know they spend money on comics and thus feel invested, but really?

Why does anyone feel entitled? People spend money and dedicate a portion of their life to something, they feel they are owed. Look at the Dexter thread this season? People who have watched that show from the beginning have put in around 78 hours of their life, they feel like they're getting shafted by the extremely poor final season.

Same thing with Batman. These fans have put in countless hours into the comicbooks, into the games, the shows, the films and they want to make sure what they're getting is a good payoff. And let's face it, there have been some duds with previous Batmans. George Clooney is a brilliant actor, but completely sucked at Batman. Val Kilmer is another example. And let's not forget the villains either. The filmmakers have a bad track record there as well:

Why should anyone feel the right to complain about anything? Because they've invested something in it, whether it be time and/or money. That goes for everything in life. Maybe they shouldn't be so loud, but if you don't cry loud, does anything change?

[edit] Oh, and Nipple Suit.

Clearly its a step down from Bale, but they havnt even given him a chance yet. At least wait until the film has been released before they ask for his head.

Im looking forward to seeing what he brings to it, Affleck isnt the cheesy actor he once was..

Why? Have you seen the film already?

I seem to recall some people saying the same thing about Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight.

Nope. have you? The difference is that Health and Afflect are on 2 totally different levels of acting. With Health you could see the passion and character resemblance. Affleck? Not so much. One has class, whilst the other is all about ego. I think a fresh new face needs to be batman, something we can truly look forward to. That is all, Affleck isn't even Batman material to say the least. 

I hated the casting choice at first but the more pictures I see plus the mature roles he's done like Argo, I think he might just pull it off as long as it's not with the Boston accent, lol.

these douchebags are loosers, still think it's a cunning plan to announce that bryan cranston is batman :P, but I like the idea of ben afleck as batman personally

(oh bring back michael keaton!!!)