Xbox One exclusive Ryse runs at 900p

At the moment 720P is fine for games unless your using a 22" screen or above. I play on a 19" 1366x768 screen, it is only a pixel destiny of 82 and as far as I'm concerned a pixel density of 72 is fine for images, above that only visibly improves text.

If you're only going to game on a 19" monitor you might as well not bother with the next generation.

If you're only going to game on a 19" monitor you might as well not bother with the next generation.

Just because they don't have a 55" plasma doesn't mean that they should skim on new console exclusives because they can't get all the glory of the pretty effects.  that is just like saying "you don't have a new car? then you should not drive."

Exactly. Just set your resolution on your PC bellow the native one of your monitor and see how ****ty everything suddenly looks.

But PC monitors are really ****ty at displaying anything that is not native res and high quality. A 720p 4-5GB blu-ray rip looks better on my TV than my PC monitor. With a 1080p 8-10GB rip the diff is not as big between the TV and the monitor. This said while my TV does a good job with the 720p rip it still doesn't look like the 1080p rip ;)

Exactly. Just set your resolution on your PC bellow the native one of your monitor and see how ****ty everything suddenly looks.

It never translates so easily.  TV's are generally 1080p/720 or some variation thereof - in fact, i'd bet the majority of tv's are still not true 1080p reoslution to even this day.  Most are some weird 1366x768 and have internal scalers that up/down convert.. yes, there are a lot of 1080p sets, yes, even 4kp, but most people won't notice on a console because there eyes are going to be set to scaled graphics already - not like on a PC where you may run 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 true resolution and even if you did, if you sat 5 feet away from your tv, i doubt you would notice.

apples to oranges here, but keep lying to yourself if you wish.. these never ending comparisons of pc ps4 and xone are pathetic.

Well, Battlefield 4 will only run at 720p so that's a pretty major resolution drop. We're not seeing the same consistency as the current generation. Gamers simply won't know what resolution or framerate a game will run at without doing research beforehand.

It should definately be written on the box imo.

Well, Battlefield 4 will only run at 720p so that's a pretty major resolution drop. We're not seeing the same consistency as the current generation. Gamers simply won't know what resolution or framerate a game will run at without doing research beforehand.

As long as the choice of lower res is to have a constant frame rate then I understand it.  The fact is, if the Forza guys can hit 1080p at 60 frames I don't see why the others can't.  Maybe they hand the inside track on it and an early start compared to the others but I honestly don't worry about it.  If no game was able to hit the mark then I'd see a issue.    Let's see how things look 4-6 months from now when the 2nd batch of games come out that have had enough development time.

But PC monitors are really ****ty at upscaling. On a good TV the upscaling looks far better than on a 200$ monitor. And the 360 did as well as a good TV and i'm sure the One will too. This said even good upscaling doesn't look like native res and people playing PC games at a native res of 1080p and up can tell the difference. Even the expensive video scalers can't make 720p looks like real 1080p.

Just connect that "good" TV of yours to the PC through an HDMI cable and lower the resolution from the native of that "good" TV of yours in your favorite game. Same results as games upscaled to 1080p on the consoles. Image quality is ###### and if anti-alising isn't enabled, jaggies all over the screen.

I don't remember launch titles for the X360 or PS3 having to drop their resolution to get acceptable framerates. It was only later that games like GTAIV, COD:MW and Halo 3 had to drop the resolution to maintain performance. If Valve pushes ahead with the Steam Box we may see PC-based gaming systems significantly outperforming "next generation" consoles within a few years. This might be the last generation of closed-platform consoles.

you dont seem to understand the point of consoles,and why they are incredibly popular,and why alot of their games are not available on pc. show me a $500 pc that will play games better than these consoles. you cant? what a SHOCKER!

As long as the choice of lower res is to have a constant frame rate then I understand it.  The fact is, if the Forza guys can hit 1080p at 60 frames I don't see why the others can't.

Different complexities. Racing games are typically one highly detailed model (the player's car) and a fast moving but low detailed environment - they aren't as detailed as first person shooters in terms of polygon counts, lighting complexity, texture quality (aside from vehicles) or environment size. Also, as a platform exclusive they don't have to worry about splitting resources and will have extra resources from Microsoft.

• Like 2

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ryse-runs-at-900p

Sub-1080p AND most likely 30fps. My my, I wonder where all that magical hidden power the xbone is supposed to have went.

I wasn't aware people were expecting 1080p and 60fps games at launch for either next-gen console unless they're games that are also being released on current-gen consoles.

Just connect that "good" TV of yours to the PC through an HDMI cable and lower the resolution from the native of that "good" TV of yours in your favorite game. Same results as games upscaled to 1080p on the consoles. Image quality is **** and if anti-alising isn't enabled, jaggies all over the screen.

I did not word what i wanted to say correctly. I edited my post to be clearer.

I did not want to talk about upscaling and realised it after i posted. Of course upscaling has to be done and will be done by the gpu. But the image will still look better on the TV anyway mine gives me better image quality than my monitor in both games and movies. If i'm running at under 1080p it wont look as bad on the TV as it is on the monitor but of course it wont look like native res.

I wasn't aware people were expecting 1080p and 60fps games at launch for either next-gen console unless they're games that are also being released on current-gen consoles.

6 months ago people were expecting 4k support. 1080p60 was a no brainer. Now all of the sudden 900p30, 720p60, etc are considered the bar.

Different complexities. Racing games are typically one highly detailed model (the player's car) and a fast moving but low detailed environment - they aren't as detailed as first person shooters in terms of polygon counts, lighting complexity, texture quality (aside from vehicles) or environment size. Also, as a platform exclusive they don't have to worry about splitting resources and will have extra resources from Microsoft.

Sure, they're not the same game types but that doesn't mean it's still not possible to do for any game coming out with enough time to use the system better.   We know the XB1 SoC is a very custom job, it's not a straight PC part that's been slapped in like what they did with the first Xbox way back in 2000.    With working on alpha a beta devkits and unfinished code/drivers they're really not pushing things.   I don't expect any launch title from either system to be great.   Regardless, what are people going to say when we end up with all those PS4 games that run at a lower res and lower frame rate than what the fans dream of?   What excuse will they come up with for that system? 

you dont seem to understand the point of consoles,and why they are incredibly popular,and why alot of their games are not available on pc. show me a $500 pc that will play games better than these consoles. you cant?

The cost of console gaming isn't limited to the cost of the console itself but includes the games and online charges. It doesn't cost anything to game online on PC yet both Microsoft and Sony charge you for the privilege - that's ?32.72 a year and ?261.76 over the life of the console. And games on console typically cost around 50% more than on PC and take a lot longer to drop in price - if you buy one game a month (?30 on PC, ?45 on console) then the difference amounts to ?180 a year and ?1,440 over the life of the console. That's a cost of over ?1,700, money that could be used to upgrade and maintain a gaming PC.

That also neglects the fact that a lot of people use PCs for work or other purposes (audio recording, video editing, photo organising, etc) and so that reduces the total cost of ownership, just like most console owners don't factor in the cost of a HDTV. Console gamers are paying over the odds for convenience.

• Like 1

I seem to remember these things coming up when we have new systems and the launch titles don't look so great.  I remember it when the PS2 hit, and I'm pretty sure early PS3 games didn't look so hot either.    Just give it time and let the developers do their work.  

Well I have to say that if they had never told us this, I would have thought Ryse looked really good.  I'm not sure about the rest of you, but the game has looked very good visually every time I've watched it.  So running at 900p hasn't been obvious to me.  Either that resolution is close enough to 1080p to not matter, or they are doing something to make the difference invisible.

Frankly, as long as the game 'looks' good, I'm not sure why we need to get up in arms over it.  I remember this gen, plenty of games that didn't run at the 720p native and still turned out to be good looking games.

I do agree that 1080p/60 is the goal that any game dev should have for the next gen, but I think we have seen enough evidence to show that not hitting that mark doesn't have to be a deal breaker.

Of course, this wont be limited tot he X1.  They are close enough in specs that we will likely see the same issues crop up on the PS4.  Since Forza is pushing 1080p/60 and there are PS4 titles aiming for the same, I think we are premature to claim that these games not hitting the mark are representative of what these consoles can really do once devs have time with them.

The more worrying thing about Ryse is it looks rubbish game play wise and has tiny arena levels with about 3-4 characters to fight and speaking of the latter, you would think it could push for 1080p 30fps if that is all they are going to do. The E3 demo had the smoke and mirrors of grand scale but take away the cinematic intermissions, your left with the same tiny arena to fight in.

Early days for both consoles.

I seem to remember these things coming up when we have new systems and the launch titles don't look so great.  I remember it when the PS2 hit, and I'm pretty sure early PS3 games didn't look so hot either.    Just give it time and let the developers do their work.  

You can safely add PS4 and Xbox 360 to that list.

I definately was.

You were expecting every single launch title to run at 1080p and 60fps? That's not a realistic expectation when you consider launch titles from the current generation. Perfect Dark Zero, for instance, wasn't 720p at launch.

Edit: From the very article in the OP:

While some might be disappointed that some of the firm's first party exclusives aren't running at full HD, the situation is somewhat reminiscent of the Xbox 360 launch, where key titles like Project Gotham Racing 3 and Perfect Dark Zero failed to hit the native 720p target that Microsoft mandated in its own technical requirements.

You can safely add PS4 and Xbox 360 to that list.

Why is that a valid excuse? It's not like the hardware of the consoles are anything new and that the developers don't have any experience coding for it.

Games have been developed for the x84 architecture for years on the PC :s

It was a perfectly realistic expectation to expect that next gen consoles released in 2013 would run at the industry-standard TV resolution.

No, it's really not a reasonable expectation for every next-gen game in a launch window to run at 1080p and 60fps, just like games in the launch window for the current generation didn't run at "the industry-standard TV resolution." These developers were working with unfinished hardware that was constantly being updated, and they're still getting used to developing for the systems. I fully expect numerous games within the first year of both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4's release to be sub-1080p or not run at 60fps (or both).

And, again, I highly recommend reading the article cited in the OP.

Why is that a valid excuse? It's not like the hardware of the consoles are anything new and that the developers don't have any experience coding for it.

The x84 architecture have been developed for years on the PC :s

Besides the Jaguar core,the hardware on both PS4 and XBO is heavily/highly customized. You may argue how much it has been customized from standard CPU/GPU but it is not exactly off the shelf hardware.