New Info on PS4?s Noise Level, Power Consumption, Media Performance etc

• While being always online is not necessary, a network connection is important to fully enjoy the features of the PS4.

• The PS4 will initially act as a stand-alone web server for the PlayStation App. In the future there?s the possibility of this to be expanded through the cloud, with the PS4 and PlayStation App interacting through the cloud, allowing cooperative play between multiple players.
  • The secondary chip for ultra-low power operation will mostly activate at night from 1 to 4 AM and download any required update automatically. It will also activate when software is purchased through external means like the PlayStation App.
  • Power consumption will vary greatly depending on the performance of the game played.
  • The noise level of the console during operation is generally much smaller than it was on the PS3.
  • The PS4?s cooling fan has a low noise level and stepless speed control (meaning that it will increase its speed to match heat smoothly and not in sudden steps like the one on the PS3).
  • Since the Blu-Ray player is 6x instead of 2x in speed (like the one on the PS3 was) the initial spinning noise is actually louder, but that will be countered by using the hard disk drive.
  • The Audio/Video performance (for movies and music) of the PS4 will target PS3 levels at launch, but will be improved through updates, for instance with the addition of 4K, as Sony is also an Audio/Video company.
  • The theme of the PS4 is ?Personalization?, meaning that it will offer an experience tailored to each individual.

Via Dualshockers

AV Watch (Source)

• The Audio/Video performance (for movies and music) of the PS4 will target PS3 levels at launch, but will be improved through updates, for instance with the addition of 4K, as Sony is also an Audio/Video company.

Boo! Where's the MKV support? :P

So I guess the assumption is that the console will remain on 24/7?  Looking forward to getting/playing my PS4.  Seems like there are a lot of improvements they have added in.  I know my PS3 was nearly silent when using it, so if the PS4 is quieter...

All nice stuff to hear.  I know when I have my ps4, it will be a cool and quiet running system.

I guess the only minus is that the Blu-ray drive will admittedly be louder than the ps3, which could be annoying when playing Blu-ray movies.

Maybe this was just poor wording, but are they trying to say that the ps4 will not support 4k output at launch?  I mean I get that any console can get software updates to improve media stuff, but I just assumed 4k support would be there day one.  Still, this isn't a problem for most since 4K tvs are a vast minority at the moment.  Plus, 4k would be limited to 30fps output via the HDMI 1.4 that the ps4 and X1 support anyway.

It seems like both next gen consoles are aiming for a quiet and cool running system.  I'm very happy to see everyone trying to minimize those things this time around.  It's also interesting to see parallels with MS' plans for the X1.  Both seem to share a lot of goals with their consoles.  They are good goals, so that's cool with me.

Boo! Where's the MKV support? :p

I wouldn't hold my breath for that one, on either new console.

• The PS4?s cooling fan has a low noise level and stepless speed control (meaning that it will increase its speed to match heat smoothly and not in sudden steps like the one on the PS3).

I remember in the summertime before I got AC in my bedroom the fan would kick into high gear all of a sudden. Being paranoid about operating electronics in high heat environments that was pretty much my cue to save at next checkpoint and turn off the console.  :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

Only thing I want to know is will it play MKVs...

That's a tough one to answer.  Most associate .MKV files with torrents.  I don't have the slightest clue... But my GUT (and I got quite a GUT) tells me no.

That's a tough one to answer.  Most associate .MKV files with torrents.  I don't have the slightest clue... But my GUT (and I got quite a GUT) tells me no.

Would be a shame if they don't. A lot of manufacturers are building MKV support in, e.g Samsung TVs, Panasonic bluray players all support it. Would be a shame if PS4 was backward in that regard.

I guess the only minus is that the Blu-ray drive will admittedly be louder than the ps3, which could be annoying when playing Blu-ray movies.

What ??   Its louder because it plays at x6 instead of x2   maximum(!)  speed...      x1 being the blue ray default speed.

You play blueray movies at default blueray speed. That is the definition.  All this xZZZ  is just to show the read speeds as a multiple of blueray movie speed.

So in no way can it be annoying when actually playing blueray MOVIES. They always play at x1 !!!  so actually less noisy then reading data on PS3

What ??   Its louder because it plays at x6 instead of x2   maximum(!)  speed...      x1 being the blue ray default speed.

You play blueray movies at default blueray speed. That is the definition.  All this xZZZ  is just to show the read speeds as a multiple of blueray movie speed.

So in no way can it be annoying when actually playing blueray MOVIES. They always play at x1 !!!  so actually less noisy then reading data on PS3

That's true, playing a movie would not be affected.  Only playing a game from the disc would result in the extra sound from the higher speed.

Power consumption will vary greatly depending on the performance of the game played.

I think we can hand the obvious statement of the day award to this.

Would be a shame if they don't. A lot of manufacturers are building MKV support in, e.g Samsung TVs, Panasonic bluray players all support it. Would be a shame if PS4 was backward in that regard.

I doubt it, But I see more issues with streaming through either console this generation and more updates pushed through cinavia then ever before. I used my 360 exclusively for streaming this gen and I doubt I will be able to use either properly next gen. My main tv has the features to stream straight to it but isn't the best or nicest experience. I'm looking at buying 2-3 cheap XBMC capable boxes to solve the issue and not have to worry about any codec support at all..

All nice stuff to hear.  I know when I have my ps4, it will be a cool and quiet running system.

Maybe this was just poor wording, but are they trying to say that the ps4 will not support 4k output at launch?  I mean I get that any console can get software updates to improve media stuff, but I just assumed 4k support would be there day one.  Still, this isn't a problem for most since 4K tvs are a vast minority at the moment.  Plus, 4k would be limited to 30fps output via the HDMI 1.4 that the ps4 and X1 support anyway.

It seems like both next gen consoles are aiming for a quiet and cool running system.  I'm very happy to see everyone trying to minimize those things this time around.  It's also interesting to see parallels with MS' plans for the X1.  Both seem to share a lot of goals with their consoles.  They are good goals, so that's cool with me.

BD movies would probably only operate the drive at 1x speed. though it might spin faster at the start of the movie to counter the general slowness of initially loading a bluray movie. 

I doubt it, But I see more issues with streaming through either console this generation and more updates pushed through cinavia then ever before. I used my 360 exclusively for streaming this gen and I doubt I will be able to use either properly next gen. My main tv has the features to stream straight to it but isn't the best or nicest experience. I'm looking at buying 2-3 cheap XBMC capable boxes to solve the issue and not have to worry about any codec support at all..

I'm in the same boat. I already have a small htpc in my main room, but it would be nice if these consoles could support local media playback.

I think right now, the best hope is with the X1 since MS demoed Win 8 apps running on it and have heavily hinted that developees will be able to offer such apps on the X1. If they open up the X1 app store to win 8 apps, then we might see 3rd party media apps that do all we want.

The dev team around MediaBrowser 3 are ready to develop such an app if MS allows it. They already cover all of the local playback needs and offer a very slick UI.

cinavia, is evil, 

even if you are not viewing pirated content and using legal digital copies of movies that you are streaming via lets say PS3 Media server, Cinavia will cut the audio out and tell you, that you are pirating the movie. its horrible.