Office XP SP1

Question

Dammit! I can't upgrade my Office XP to Service Pack 1! When I lanched the update, it said that it couldn't patch certain files! Forgot which ones, though! Did any of you experience that problem with Office XP?

13 answers to this question

I've re-installed it 3 times and the same error popped up! I say that Micros*it screwed up the Service Pack itself since Office XP installed 100% perfectly on my PC! No problems running any of the apps neither! :D

its not a screwed service pack, I repeat, no problems here, maybe you need to buy the enterprise edition :paranoid: :ponder: :D

This didn't only happen with some warez or cracked versions. This happened with store bought copies of Office XP also. My cousin bought Office XP from Best Buy five days after it came out, and he couldn't use the SP1 update either. He actually went to Best Buy and complained. He still had his receipt for it (he never throws out receipts from computer-related purchases for a very good reason), and they let him return his old copy, and exchange it for a new copy. It worked with the new copy.

Apparently, the first batch of Office XP's that Microsoft shipped out has a Microsoft Word dated February 28, 2001, which causes the problem. The newer batches have Microsoft Word dated March 7, 2001. I believe this is the only difference, and this one file causes the entire SP1 update to crash, and "undo itself". That's why you see the progress meter go backwards after the crash.