James Pond Kickstarter Canceled

A crowdfunding campaign for a sequel to the classic console game James Pond has been canceled by Chris Sorrell, one of the game's original designers. The Kickstarter was launched last month by rights holder Gameware Europe, but with 11 days to go in the campaign it became clear that the crowd-funding campaign might not meet its goal - raising just ?16,000 of its ?100,000 target. The low figure was enough for Sorrell to give up on the Kickstarter campaign.

"Today after much discussion and thought we made the difficult decision to end our campaign early," an update to the Kickstarter page noted. "Although we have 12 days to go it's clear that we aren't going to make our ?100,000 goal, so instead of pretending otherwise and continuing the updates we've decided to be honest with ourselves and with you and stop."

"We came into this with little game to show. We appreciate we were asking for a lot of faith from you guys, and our mantra from the start has always been to keep the game design as open as possible, with the fans calling the shots. This was a risk, and it didn't work out, but I will say a huge thank you to everyone who pledged."

While the Kickstarter adventure might be over for James Pond, the team has vowed to return to the crowd-funding scene after making some adjustments:

"The campaign wasn't the success we'd hoped for. This was for a few reasons, all of which we plan on addressing and then making a comeback with a new, stronger campaign."

"If there's one thing we've learned from running this campaign it's that there sure is still a lot of love for this plucky secret agent fish and we believe it'll only take the right game and the right campaign to make James Pond 4 a reality. So stay tuned and we will be back with more news soon."

Source: MCV

- See more at: http://gamepolitics.com/2013/10/08/james-pond-kickstarter-canceled#.UlTIHFCnpOY

I don't think a lot of people remember James Pond, and of those who do, I don't think it's the top platformer they want back.

more so, the lack of information, I never heard of this kickstarter. much like I haven't heard of a lot of other kickstarters successes or not until after the fact.They need to be more out there. and I'm not sure kickstarter is what all these game designers should rely on for funding anyway, this well will dry up real quick one day.

Not worth ?100,000. I never even heard that it had a Kickstarter, and even if I did I wouldn't have backed such a ridiculous figure; get real.

Not worth ?100,000. I never even heard that it had a Kickstarter, and even if I did I wouldn't have backed such a ridiculous figure; get real.

Agreed, Why not make a web/mobile version first and then use the proceeds to build a bigger boat