Fed up of waiting for GDR2 time to do it manually

Steven P.

Exciting!

post-2-0-35221200-1381401150.png

Thanks to Arkos Reed for helping me with the link to the Nokia Software Updater. (read the site carefully before you attempt to do it yourself).

My 520 is retail and not carrier specific btw.

Will post results :p

• Like 3
Steven P.

It worked for me :)

• Like 2
Steven P.

Just waiting for my apps to sync now.

Daedroth

Looks good! Shame I have a HTC. :(

Crimson Rain

Just waiting for my apps to sync now.

Is it clean install or upgrade?

If that is upgrade, it means annoyance.

- setup all email/facebook/nokia etc accounts

- apps need to be installed one by one from windowsphone.com

- start screen layout messed up

- app settings gone

- game progress gone

- contact links messed up

I do not understand why these things can not be backed up in cloud and restored when someone logged in with their Microsoft account...

Ironman273

I'm in the same boat with my 920 but the Nokia software doesn't list GDR2 as an option.  I'm stuck with my current version until AT&T decides to get off their ass. :(

Steven P.

It's a clean install.

What happened to me:

- Upgraded GDR2 > Firmware

- Setup Windows Phone (as if it's new)

- Choice to sync apps and settings (or start with a clean slate)

- I synced apps and settings and was prompted for my Facebook password and Email accounts

- It took about 20mins to sync all my apps

Back where I started before, but I have to verify WhatsApp, enter user/pass for Twitter etc..

Edit: Contacts were synced too :)

francescob

"Fed up of waiting for GDR2 time to do it manually"

Blasphemy! You have to wait for months and savor the bugs like everybody else! God Ballmer won't be pleased.

How can you not understand that phones work differently depending in the country you're in? My retail Lumia 520 was potentially incompatible with al-dente spaghetti and Nokia clearly needed those three-four months to avoid an overcooked pasta apocalypse.

• Like 2
Geoffrey B.

the sad part about the release schedule for some of the devices is that by the time they release GDR2 on some of the devices GDR3 will be releasing on others. Very similar to what was happening with Android for a while.

Also, you arent missing out on much with GDR2

Arkos Reed

the sad part about the release schedule for some of the devices is that by the time they release GDR2 on some of the devices GDR3 will be releasing on others. Very similar to what was happening with Android for a while.

Also, you arent missing out on much with GDR2

Datasense alone makes it a worthwile upgrade, the bug/self bricking corrections aren't trivial either

c.grz

I just shipped back my 925 because it was experiencing the "dead phone" symptoms.  I spent a few days researching how to resolve the issue myself and after a few days of being unable to revive my phone; I shipped it back.

Well glad it worked for you! I've downloaded this app and now I'm ready if it happens again!!!

• Like 1
beanboy89

Nice. Thankfully my AT&T 520 came with GDR2 and Amber out of the box. It's running really smoothly here. Hope I get GDR3 when it's ready.

Sandor

Datasense alone makes it a worthwile upgrade, the bug/self bricking corrections aren't trivial either

I don't have GDR2...but I do have Data Sense.

Arkos Reed

I don't have GDR2...but I do have Data Sense.

Because your carrier elected to use it in their Rom version. It was optional before GDR2.

ShadowMajestic

Also the benefits of a lot longer battery duration. a 5 times as fast booting of the system (took aaaaaages before). Overal responsiveness of the entire system(fps drops are almost nonexistant). Not to mention some Amber goodies for the Lumia owners.

• Like 1
PUC_Snakeman

GDR2 is now available for the AT&T Lumia 920, through the normal channel, Settings -> Phone Update.
My phone is updating right now (it's been on a gears animated icon for several minutes)

• Like 1
Steven P.

My work here is done /thread.

• Like 1
primexx

Retail phones should all have gotten it by the end of September already.

BajiRav

GDR2 is now available for the AT&T Lumia 920, through the normal channel, Settings -> Phone Update.

My phone is updating right now (it's been on a gears animated icon for several minutes)

My phone updated fine but wife's phone (both 920s) started showing weird problems after the update. The phone completely lost all sound, couldn't play any music or ringtones. Phone calls could be answered but no sound from the other end.

I ended up hard resetting it after several reboots didn't fix the problem.

Now the phone is in endless loop of spinning gears. A quick search shows many such reports on nokia forums. None of the solutions on the forums are working for me.

I guess the phone is going for warranty repairs tomorrow.

Be warned, back up before you update.

spenser.d

Disappointed that AT&T still won't give us Data Sense, but not the end of the world.  Really enjoying the updates so far besides that :D

beanboy89

Disappointed that AT&T still won't give us Data Sense, but not the end of the world.  Really enjoying the updates so far besides that :D

Still wanting DataSense. Wish we'd get it on AT&T.
Steven P.

My phone updated fine but wife's phone (both 920s) started showing weird problems after the update. The phone completely lost all sound, couldn't play any music or ringtones. Phone calls could be answered but no sound from the other end.

I ended up hard resetting it after several reboots didn't fix the problem.

Now the phone is in endless loop of spinning gears. A quick search shows many such reports on nokia forums. None of the solutions on the forums are working for me.

I guess the phone is going for warranty repairs tomorrow.

Be warned, back up before you update.

Wow that's weird if they are the same phone, Were they retail or carrier? :s

I did point out to read the site carefully and said mine is retail. Hope you are able to get it sorted!

jakem1

Is it clean install or upgrade?

If that is upgrade, it means annoyance.

- setup all email/facebook/nokia etc accounts

- apps need to be installed one by one from windowsphone.com

- start screen layout messed up

- app settings gone

- game progress gone

- contact links messed up

I do not understand why these things can not be backed up in cloud and restored when someone logged in with their Microsoft account...

Some of your list is true but if you restore from backup all your apps will be automatically installed and all your accounts will be automatically configured.  I've never had any problem with linked contacts either.  I agree that it's a shame that app settings and start screen layout aren't backed up but you can be up and running after a clean install pretty quickly in my experience.

• Like 2