VoIP for LAN?

Question

Hello,

Im looking for a VoIP sort of product for LAN. Skype doesnt support this and Mumble Im having difficult to set up and configure. Crossplatform would be nice but I guess Windows for now will have to do.

Thank you.

16 answers to this question

You'll have to go into more detail about your intended use. An Asterix box, like FreePBX, could handle this.

Hello,

You'll have to go into more detail about your intended use. An Asterix box, like FreePBX, could handle this.

I looked into Asterix but it seems WAY over the top.

My intented use is to make voice calls over IP in my LAN. I mean, Im not sure what you ment.....

Call 192.168.1.176

192.168.1.176 gets a call from 192.168.1.12

192.168.1.176 accepts the call.

192.168.1.12 and 192.168.1.176 have a audio conversation

192.168.1.176 decided to end the call...

Its just that simple.

Hello,

I looked into Asterix but it seems WAY over the top.

My intented use is to make voice calls over IP in my LAN. I mean, Im not sure what you ment.....

Call 192.168.1.176

192.168.1.176 gets a call from 192.168.1.12

192.168.1.176 accepts the call.

192.168.1.12 and 192.168.1.176 have a audio conversation

192.168.1.176 decided to end the call...

Its just that simple.

Then install a IP phone or SIP softphone that supports direct SIP.

Using direct SIP a device/phone can call the other device/phone directly.

We used vocera devices at the hospital to do exactly that.  It worked over the wireless at the hospital.  Not sure what type of solutions they offer for you, but I would look at their b3000 badge offering (not what it sounds like), vocera connect, and vocera access anywhere. 

You can use a their badge, a smartphone, or a computer to connect to the system and send/recieve calls in house.

Hello,

Then install a IP phone or SIP softphone that supports direct SIP.

Using direct SIP a device/phone can call the other device/phone directly.

We used vocera devices at the hospital to do exactly that.  It worked over the wireless at the hospital.  Not sure what type of solutions they offer for you, but I would look at their b3000 badge offering (not what it sounds like), vocera connect, and vocera access anywhere. 

You can use a their badge, a smartphone, or a computer to connect to the system and send/recieve calls in house.

Software solution only please.  A SIP softphone sounds like a software solution.

3CX might be an option, its a Windows PBX server that does internal calls to extensions. whether they are hardware or software phones. Asterisk is not really that over the top because it does exactly what you ask and more. 

3CX is free sort of. Asterisk is 100% free which I would recommend if your having high number of internal calls (more than 2 simultaneous)

Hello,

3CX might be an option, its a Windows PBX server that does internal calls to extensions. whether they are hardware or software phones. Asterisk is not really that over the top because it does exactly what you ask and more. 

3CX is free sort of. Asterisk is 100% free which I would recommend if your having high number of internal calls (more than 2 simultaneous)

Asterisk goes way beyond what I am looking for.

Im looking for a software solution that acts as server/client. I call 192.168.1.90 and he picks up and starts a audio conversation. Asterisk AFAIK involves being a server and then individual SIP clients can connect to it.

At most there will be only one call at a time.

I mean, I can try Asterisk but too much configuration time is not worth for something like this.

3CX is pretty simplistic in terms of configuration. 

Asterisk is mostly web-based configuration (not including installing, which is simple as well)

If you do want simpler, Teamspeak is an alternative to Mumble. 

Hello,

Audio chat using an instant messaging program? Most support this.

Is there a instant messaging program with audio chat that supports only LAN?

Hello,

Software solution only please.  A SIP softphone sounds like a software solution.

Not sure what more you need to know. Pick a SIP softphone and try it out...

Most support Direct SIP and that's all you need to do what you want, as I previously mentioned. With Direct SIP you don't need a server in the middle and an easily to LAN to LAN (or even LAN to WAN and WAN to WAN) calling directly using IPs or even domain names (with a similar structure as email addresses).

Hello,

Not sure what more you need to know. Pick a SIP softphone and try it out...

Most support Direct SIP and that's all you need to do what you want, as I previously mentioned. With Direct SIP you don't need a server in the middle and an easily to LAN to LAN (or even LAN to WAN and WAN to WAN) calling directly using IPs or even domain names (with a similar structure as email addresses).

Then what easy ones are there that are Direct SIP compatible?

I mean yeah there are http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SIP_software but recommendations on easy and simple would be nice.

Teamspeak locks up on my Android phone so I cant fully test it out.

Hello,

Then what easy ones are there that are Direct SIP compatible?

I mean yeah there are http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SIP_software but recommendations on easy and simple would be nice.

Teamspeak locks up on my Android phone so I cant fully test it out.

No idea. All of my SIP Phones are hardware based because I prefer them that way.

That being said, I would try 3CX Phone as it looked OK when I played with it like 5 versions ago. More than likely you'll just need to download a few and see what you prefer.

Hello,

I just setup 3CX and the number of services it has put on my PC is huge! I count 14 services! Way too many services for something so simple...

This sounds like what your looking for to me

http://squiggle.codeplex.com/

Squiggle is a free server-less peer to peer LAN messenger.
Just download and run it and you're ready to talk to everyone on your LAN.

Key Features:

• Server-less peer to peer LAN chat, No installation required. Just download, unzip and run
  • Group chat, Broadcast chat and Private chat
  • Bridge for connecting two LANs across subnets or WAN.
  • Supports localization i.e. you can replace the translation file to use Squiggle in your native language.
  • Fast (multiple) file transfer
  • Spell Check, Buzz, Emoticons, Audio Alerts, Tray Popups
  • Contact groups, Display message, Display Pic, Chat commands, Message aliases
  • Chat history, Status history
  • Voice Chat