Killzone: Shadow Fall requires 7.5GB initial download before play

One of the new features Sony promised when unveiling PlayStation 4 was the ability to play games as they download from the PlayStation Store. With games like Killzone: Shadow Fall clocking in at nearly 40GB in size, it wouldn't be practical to sit and wait for such a huge download to finish before playing. Through a feature Sony is now calling "PlayGo," you'll be able to select which part of the game you'd like to download first--single or multiplayer--and then play the game as it downloads.

In reality, PlayGo won't be as immediate as many had imagined. For example, Shadow Fall will still require a 7.5GB initial download before it can be played when purchased digitally.

Guerrilla Games confirmed the figure to Eurogamer, who saw the game at a recent event in Amsterdam. The initial 7.5GB will be enough to play the first level, while the second level continues downloading in the background.

Technical director Michiel van der Leeuw acknowledges this is far from ideal, but expects the process to improve over the generation as developers keep the feature in mind. "The initial chunk of 7.5GB is quite big," he said. "I think if we would have known exactly how everything would work... I think next time around we'll try to see if we can design something that doesn't jeopardize the game which will make it even friendlier."

"But I think all things considered, this being launch and we've got like 2 minutes 44 from disc to the first level and no installs, I think it's already a massive improvement over previous generations," he added.

Killzone: Shadow Fall remains on target for the PS4 launch. If you do plan on picking it up digitally, it's already available for pre-order on the PlayStation Store.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/81724/killzone-shadow-fall-requires-75gb-initial-download-before-play

Ya still not liking this whole download games from the internet, especially not at 40GB. The internet has got to get better in his country first and remove the caps.

Well this is the side effect of buying digital games that take up 30-40Gbs of space. No way around that.

It also shows just how quickly you could fill up a 500GB hard drive if you went purely digital.

Well this is the side effect of buying digital games that take up 30-40Gbs of space. No way around that.

It also shows just how quickly you could fill up a 500GB hard drive if you went purely digital.

If you have a reason to keep 10+ games on your HDD at the same time maybe.  I doubt a lot of people play that many games at once, and I think part of what MS was/is pushing was that you store your collection in the cloud and stream/download games to your HDD when you actually play them and delete them from your HDD when you're done.

It'll be interesting to see if X1 is in a similar situation or if Microsoft has some tricks up their sleeve to alleviate huge downloads - they've hinted at straight up streaming while downloading, but that'll obviously be very dependent on your connection speed.

If you have a reason to keep 10+ games on your HDD at the same time maybe.  I doubt a lot of people play that many games at once, and I think part of what MS was/is pushing was that you store your collection in the cloud and stream/download games to your HDD when you actually play them and delete them from your HDD when you're done.

It'll be interesting to see if X1 is in a similar situation or if Microsoft has some tricks up their sleeve to alleviate huge downloads - they've hinted at straight up streaming while downloading, but that'll obviously be very dependent on your connection speed.

Anyone that goes digital only next gen, could easily build up 10+ games on a system. Personally, I have several games that I still need to play or finish. That doesn't count games that I like to play over and over such as fighting games or anything competitive and of course party games.

I get that you could just download games as you want to play them and delete them over and over, but that is still very inconvenient when you just sit down and decide to play one of those games. You still have to wait for an initial download. Its still a delay vs just having the games there, ready to go.

I could see myself replacing my ps4 hard drive down the road in order to have that ease of access. I also plan to use an external with my X1 for the same purpose.

Anyone that goes digital only next gen, could easily build up 10+ games on a system. Personally, I have several games that I still need to play or finish. That doesn't count games that I like to play over and over such as fighting games or anything competitive and of course party games.

I get that you could just download games as you want to play them and delete them over and over, but that is still very inconvenient when you just sit down and decide to play one of those games. You still have to wait for an initial download. Its still a delay vs just having the games there, ready to go.

I could see myself replacing my ps4 hard drive down the road in order to have that ease of access. I also plan to use an external with my X1 for the same purpose.

That's the point though - obviously you build up a large collection.  I'm planning to be all digital next gen, and right now I have 35+ disc games, a handful of digital games, and quite a few XBLA games on Xbox 360 so obviously next gen I won't be able to keep all those on a 500GB HDD if my collection gets that big.  However I only play a couple games at a time (maybe one or two MP games and one SP game, on top of some XBLA games) and when I'm done with one, I'm usually done for quite a while so it really wouldn't be a big deal to at some point in the future have to redownload it if I come back to it.

I'm also saying MS has hinted at mitigating that by steaming the games while they download as well so you can actually play right away and not have to wait for 7GB of download.  That was the point of being able to go to a friend's place and pick up and play your collection on their box without waiting.

And I'm not saying MS has the answer to this - I feel it's more likely it's similar to what's going on here, but we don't really know yet so I'm interested to see what they have to say or what happens in a month.

Depends a little bit more on the internet connection and distro server then the console...

The internet connection is fine (downloading games on Steam and Xbox Live - no problems). I wasn't referring to the console itself, but the service they've provided along with the console.

I'm also saying MS has hinted at mitigating that by steaming the games while they download as well so you can actually play right away and not have to wait for 7GB of download.  That was the point of being able to go to a friend's place and pick up and play your collection on their box without waiting.

And I'm not saying MS has the answer to this - I feel it's more likely it's similar to what's going on here, but we don't really know yet so I'm interested to see what they have to say or what happens in a month.

Hey, I'm all for it if they provide a way to mitigate the time issue. I was just pointing out that if it requires a wait, then its less accessible than having a physical copy.

There is a hard reality that neither MS nor Sony can completely erase and that is internet speed. If MS is able to cut down the time via streaming, great. I look forward to seeing what they do.

That's a big chunk.. I was thinking of going mostly digital.. though with a 120gb cap on my internet per month.. I would blow through that fast between streaming and games.

That's a big chunk.. I was thinking of going mostly digital.. though with a 120gb cap on my internet per month.. I would blow through that fast between streaming and games.

I'm in the same boat.. I have a 250gb cap... We don't have cable, so we dedicate bandwith to Netflix, Amazon Instant video, and the movies that are on my PC...

I had my mind set on digital only... But I think my ISP is going to have a problem with wanting to download 150+ GB worth of games in a few days span...

I'm in the same boat.. I have a 250gb cap... We don't have cable, so we dedicate bandwith to Netflix, Amazon Instant video, and the movies that are on my PC...

I had my mind set on digital only... But I think my ISP is going to have a problem with wanting to download 150+ GB worth of games in a few days span...

Same, unfortunately I pay 80$ a month and I get the 120GB cap, we are considering dropping the cable and upping the package.. but the most I will get for another 60$ a month is like 50gb more.

wait did I read that incorrectly?

buy the disc, and download 7 gig of game?

(actually now I've posted this, I hope it's because that is the multiplayer stuff, and the game itself is ready to install/play from the disc.)

Sony better have a way to backup installed games. Wouldn't want to re-download GB of files.

I hope their back-up feature in the PS4 is better than the one in the PS3. I don't trust it.

wait did I read that incorrectly?

buy the disc, and download 7 gig of game?

(actually now I've posted this, I hope it's because that is the multiplayer stuff, and the game itself is ready to install/play from the disc.)

This only applies if you buy the game digitally.

They better hope downloading games on PS4 is faster than it is on the PS3.

Speeds on PSN are just fine. Infact, between the 3 console players, it's the only one that consistently maxes out my mere 15mbit/sec line. So i don't think there's anything to worry about.

I pay $65 for 25down and 20up...with a 250GB cap...  you must get insane speeds for that price...

Same, unfortunately I pay 80$ a month and I get the 120GB cap, we are considering dropping the cable and upping the package.. but the most I will get for another 60$ a month is like 50gb more.

Speeds on PSN are just fine. Infact, between the 3 console players, it's the only one that consistently maxes out my mere 15mbit/sec line. So i don't think there's anything to worry about.

Good for you, but not where I live it's not.  I have PS+ and download a bunch of stuff when new games arrive. It usually takes me 2-3 days to download about 10 GB on a 20/Mbps connection.  Steam and Xbox are nothing like that.

I pay $65 for 25down and 20up...with a 250GB cap...  you must get insane speeds for that price...

Internet in Canada = ****ty and very over priced.

EXTREME
$67.99 
Up to 35 Mbps2  down (I get 40-60)
3 Mbps up
120 GB/month    bandwidth

I guess it's closer to 75$ after taxes than 80$.. but still.

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/hispeedBrowseFlowDefaultPlans

Is the company we are with.  All companies are around the same price.