In the processs of upgrading my Security Cameras : I had an OMG moment.

If the software you have gets too limited, I've heard a lot of good things about Blue Iris:

http://www.blueirissoftware.com/

I just bought a Sharx IP cam and plan on using Blue Iris to record everything on the PC.

Thanks. I saw some people mention that as well. As far as the software being too limited, i'm not sure what else I would want it to do. It detects and records.

Also sample video added to first post. It's the best sample video I have without the camera being actually hung yet.

Is that camera in the soffit on the first floor or something? I would be a little leery of having those camera's where they're reachable. Someone could come along a rip them right out of the soffit. These are IP based camera's right?

Not bad. Makes me wish I'd kept a bunch of sensormatic dome cameras I got years ago! If only I knew then what I knew now and how to use the darn things!

I may have to swap some machines around. the AMD Phenom 9750 Quad-Core with 4 1080p video streams open is raping the CPU at about 100%

When I tried the same thing i7 950 media center PC it is using about 16%

I wonder if the GPU has anything to do with it because the media center does have a GTX 660ti

How legal is it to have a camera that records the street that's not your property ?

lol Now that's funny! When I saw "HawkMan" responded, I though "Oh god, now what's he going to bitch about?t"

That would be pretty much every driveway security camera in operation. The street would be considered "PUBLIC!"

How legal is it to have a camera that records the street that's not your property ?

The driveway is his... he can record wherever he wants..  He checks on the screen and see who is here that is pulling in on his driveway.

It may be illegal if he put a camera on the telephone pole unless he works for a company that monitors the traffic or weather.

The driveway is his... he can record wherever he wants..  He checks on the screen and see who is here that is pulling in on his driveway.

It may be illegal if he put a camera on the telephone pole unless he works for a company that monitors the traffic or weather.

Correct, oddly enough I thought that was blatantly obvious, I guess not :laugh:

I put in HD cameras, but they are all PoE and PTZ cameras... gawd were they expensive....

Oh I bet, bring PTZ (Pan Tilt and Zoom) into the equation and you'll be bleeding out your ass!

lol Now that's funny! When I saw "HawkMan" responded, I though "Oh god, now what's he going to bitch about?t"

That would be pretty much every driveway security camera in operation. The street would be considered "PUBLIC!"

Just wondering since I believe over here it would be illegal to record outside your private property. there's VERY strict laws over here regarding recordings. Stores who have security cams, must report it to the agency that governs security over stored data files. and misuse of them, this must be redone every 5 years or so, and data is only allowed to be stored for a certain amount of days unless a custody is given to police due to a police report. You must also have proper signs showing that this area is under video surveillance.

private property is I believe except from these laws, but I believe you're only allowed to record your own property. 

Correct, oddly enough I thought that was blatantly obvious, I guess not :laugh:

But you're also recording the road past your drive way, which may even over here not be a problem. but you're also, especially on the HD cams, recording your neighbours property, front door and car park, which, I suspect would be illegal over here though I haven't really checked into it, since I would need a large zoom lens to see my nearest neighbour, and I have no need for a camera out here anyway :D, but even if it wasn't directly illegal he could lodge a complaint and have it removed. 

Hawkman, it would then be illegal to record anywhere.  The street is public property, and unless there is some sort of rule pertaining to recording anything in public for private use, there is no problem with this.  Going to a parade and recording the parade is not illegal, going to a amusement park and recording your actions there is not illegal, neither is taking pictures in public places.  In any of these scenarios you will have the possibility of recording or photographing a number of random people.  The issue becomes using people in public places in commercial venues without their permission, that becomes an issue.  Commercial and private are two completely different things. 

Just a side note, rest rooms, locker rooms, and changing rooms are considered private areas and it is illegal to record in there regardless if they are in the domain of a public area.