Editing text in a PSD

Question

Hello,

I have almost no clue when it comes to Photoshop :) so I may be doing something dumb...

I want to translate some text in a PSD ive been handed. Now, as everything I can understand, the PSD is split into layers. Ive located the layer that has the text written on it but I cant seem to modify the text, only move it around and (obviously) hide it.

I went ahead and "hid" all the other layers only selecting the layer that has text and trying to edit it.

Since this is a internal company logo, I cannot post it on here :( All I see is that it is "Layer 31" but I see no edit text option or something similar.

This is Photoshop CS6.

Thank you

18 answers to this question

Hi there,

There is a text tool in photoshop on the side bar (or press T). With the text layer selected, hover over the text and it should give you a different type of cursor. Click and you should now be able to edit the text.

Hope this helps. :)

Edit: Should look like this. :)

oKmScrd.jpg

If you don't get this option, the layer has been rasterized and thus you cannot edit it. If this is the case you can go to http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/ run a screenshot of the font through this and remake the text over the top.

• Like 2

Hello,

Then chances are it was 'rasterised' which means it's no longer editable and is a bitmap image.

Thats what I thought, that it was a vector graphic. I told the original person that made this .PSD:

Hello Bob,

Ive opened one of the .PSD and I think the text is actually a vector graphic made in Illustrator. Could you send me the .AI files and see if I can make this change?

He replied:

hello riahc3, ive send you the Calvert font, load it up in fonts and with that you shouldnt have any problems.

So to me, it does seem like it is a text written, not a vector graphics...

Hi there,

There is a text tool in photoshop on the side bar (or press T). With the text layer selected, hover over the text and it should give you a different type of cursor. Click and you should now be able to edit the text.

Hope this helps. :)

Edit: Should look like attached.

Tried (before your edit) but could not get it to work....It would just start to write new text.

Hello,

Thats what I thought, that it was a vector graphic. I told the original person that made this .PSD:

Hello Bob,

Ive opened one of the .PSD and I think the text is actually a vector graphic made in Illustrator. Could you send me the .AI files and see if I can make this change?

He replied:

hello riahc3, ive send you the Calvert font, load it up in fonts and with that you shouldnt have any problems.

So to me, it does seem like it is a text written, not a vector graphics...

Tried (before your edit) but could not get it to work....It would just start to write new text.

In that case, now that you have the font load it up (type fonts in windows search) add it to the list, and reload photoshop. Now the method I gave you should work and if it doesn't, you have the font so you can just overlay on top of it. :)

Hello,

To quote Jobs "You are doing it wrong".

I made a new layer in PS, selected the text tool (T), started writing, then when I unclicked it, it appeared dotted lines blinking sort to speak but I couldnt reedit it or anything....

Hello,

There are some youtube vids I'll post this one

but other than that I'm pretty much tapped out.

Marshall's the one I usually go to for photoshop help

WOW, is that CS6 on OSX? It looks really really old school...

Well since this isnt important, I just wont do it and thats it :(

Off the top of my head, I believe text layers should be represented by a 'T' in the layer palette.  Double click this 'T' and it should automatically select the layer in Text Edit mode, allow the text to be adjusted.

It'd be mightly helpful if you could show us a screenshot of what you're looking at. Kind of working blind here.

sounds to me like the logo itself is bitmapped and no amount of font uploading will change that.

Hello,

Talked to the guy again who made this, and he explained the following:

Most people that he makes slides for dont have the font he uses. So what he does is type it in Ilustrator (my original thought) then rasterize it so it can be shown in the .PSDs

From what he explained, .AIs change from version to version so he cannot pass me the .AI (I thought to myself well I dont mind Ill convert it some way or another but oh well).

He sent me a email that I currently do not have access to (net is down) so Ill read that and see if he gives me more information there.

I asked him if he had a PSD version with text layers but he said no. Which really ruins it but....

Ill read the email and see if I can give more helpful info.

Hello,

Talked to the guy again who made this, and he explained the following:

Most people that he makes slides for dont have the font he uses. So what he does is type it in Ilustrator (my original thought) then rasterize it so it can be shown in the .PSDs

From what he explained, .AIs change from version to version so he cannot pass me the .AI (I thought to myself well I dont mind Ill convert it some way or another but oh well).

He sent me a email that I currently do not have access to (net is down) so Ill read that and see if he gives me more information there.

I asked him if he had a PSD version with text layers but he said no. Which really ruins it but....

Ill read the email and see if I can give more helpful info.

In other words, he's being a douche.

• Like 1

it's because newer illustrator versions can open older ones. The "version-to-version" thing is just an excuse to not give you the file.

However, I don't really see what the problem is. He gave you the font already right? just trash that layer and type it in again with whatever you desire. Why do you have to modify the old thing?