Official PS4 System reviews

Yeah, that sucks. I really hope they change their minds down the road.

One thing that should help is the fact that both systems are fairly similar to pcs, so if they develop these games on a pc first, we may see them be more willing to support both. That's one reason why Square Enix is going multiplatform.

This part im not happy about, i let down imho,

The PS4 doesn't support the new 802.11ac wireless standard, instead relying on an 802.11b/g/n radio at 2.4 GHz ? no 5 GHz support here either, all of which is disappointing to see on a consumer device in 2013.

Think ill leave it alone for now and look at the xbone

This part im not happy about, i let down imho,

Think ill leave it alone for now and look at the xbone

I think not offering the 5 is a bit strange, not having ac makes sense since it's new and still not final.

I think not offering the 5 is a bit strange, not having ac makes sense since it's new and still not final.

yea 5 should be in there. The AC would help me cause i have AC wireless (AirPort Time Capsule)

I don't think any of the next-gen consoles have 802.11AC? They'll add it later with the predictable accessory and eventually bult in with the slim models.

Does the X1 support the 5Ghz band?  I realize the ps4 wont support dual band since its only 2.4Ghz, but maybe the X1 does.

Does the X1 support the 5Ghz band?  I realize the ps4 wont support dual band since its only 2.4Ghz, but maybe the X1 does.

Yes, all 3 consoles are 802.11N.

X1 also has Wi-Fi direct. Not sure about the other 2.

AC is strictly 5GHz.

Yes, all 3 consoles are 802.11N.

X1 also has Wi-Fi direct. Not sure about the other 2.

AC is strictly 5GHz.

That's not what I asked about though.

802.11N can operate in the 2.4 or 5Ghz band. It can also run in dual band mode where the bands are switched on the fly depending on need. We know the ps4 can only operate in the 2.4Ghz, but what about the X1?

You elitist :p

I used to game over wireless until I hooked up everything over Ethernet for streaming video. Glad its there though for any time I take my games console somewhere outside my man cave.

I used to game over wireless until I hooked up everything over Ethernet for streaming video. Glad its there though for any time I take my games console somewhere outside my man cave.

Exactly. I also run mine via Ethernet, but having good wireless support is handy when taking the console elsewhere.

That's not what I asked about though.

802.11N can operate in the 2.4 or 5Ghz band. It can also run in dual band mode where the bands are switched on the fly depending on need. We know the ps4 can only operate in the 2.4Ghz, but what about the X1?

Yes, X1 has dual band. First I've heard PS4 didn't support 5GHz though. Shocking

Even Wii U has it, albeit for the gamepad.

Edit: apparently the lack of 5GHz has been known since the Feb reveal. Think I must have just forgot :laugh:

Yes, X1 has dual band. First I've heard PS4 didn't support 5GHz though. Shocking

Even Wii U has it, albeit for the gamepad.

Edit: apparently the lack of 5GHz has been known since the Feb reveal. Think I must have just forgot :laugh:

Well its one of those things that most probably just take for granted will be supported and its a little surprising when it isn't.

Connecting a console wirelessly is a stupid idea. You're dealing with games and remote play, you don't want that over a connection where the PS4 might have to wait for the 'air to clear' and share bandwidth with other devices.

It has an ethernet connection for a very good reason. Use it.

Connecting a console wirelessly is a stupid idea. You're dealing with games and remote play, you don't want that over a connection where the PS4 might have to wait for the 'air to clear' and share bandwidth with other devices.

It has an ethernet connection for a very good reason. Use it.

Sometimes you simply don't have a choice. You take your console to a friend's house or something and there is no convenient Ethernet jack.

Its just about being flexible with options.

• Like 2

Ars finished their review on the PS4. Mixed results, overall positive but some things they didn't like.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/11/playstation-4-hardware-review-off-to-a-mixed-start/

The good

• Beautiful, unique case design.
  • Relatively quiet operating noise.
  • Lighting and smoke effects and character models look great.
  • DualShock 4 controller is one of the best we've ever used.
  • Stream game audio to any headset through the controller.
  • What's New section provides a look at friends' activities.
  • Automatic download of system and game updates.
  • Great new PlayStation Store interface.
  • Streaming gameplay online is easy and addictive.
  • Vita Remote play works surprisingly well, locally.

The bad

• Relatively high power consumption, even in standby mode.
  • Leap in graphics doesn't provide the "wow factor" of previous generational jumps.
  • Controller only gets about 7 hours of battery life
  • Flat system interface gets cluttered and hard-to-use.
  • Limited editing and upload options for gameplay clips.
  • Music Unlimited is clunky, and the only way to get outside music.

The ugly

• Camera-based voice commands are practically useless.
  • iOS PlayStation App seems of limited use.
  • Bluetooth headsets don't work, for some reason.
  • Like 2

Ars finished their review on the PS4. Mixed results, overall positive but some things they didn't like.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/11/playstation-4-hardware-review-off-to-a-mixed-start/

That's not bad, the only "Ugly" point I agree with / matters to me is the bluetooth headset (not that I have one).  As for the other stuff, seems spot on to me.  Granted I am yet to touch a PS4.. Amazon says mine is "Preparing for shipping". 

Never been one for voice controlling things, be it computer, phone, or a videogame console.

Not a bad review, Ars does a pretty in depth job of it. Fair points all around.

That's not bad, the only "Ugly" point I agree with / matters to me is the bluetooth headset (not that I have one).  As for the other stuff, seems spot on to me.  Granted I am yet to touch a PS4.. Amazon says mine is "Preparing for shipping". 

Never been one for voice controlling things, be it computer, phone, or a videogame console.

Mine shows as out for delivery, so I should have it in hand between noon and 3, so just a few more hours.

A lot of people will be dissapointed by a new generation of console when they realize they are just mid-low range PCs.

True. That's all they are now. Better to just stick with a PC to begin with. 

I'll definately stick with PC for the next year. My PC can still run all games at close to max settings at 1080p40 anyway and i can play them with my 360 controller. I have a Core i5 750 overcloked to 3840GHz i think or something like that with 8GB of ram and a GB 670 OC. I'll be fine for next year for sure. Next fall i'll look at what i can do. If there's enough exclusives i want to play on either the PS4 or XBox One i might get one. For now they are not worth the price imo.

X360 slim does, not sure why the x1 wouldn't..

erm, with external adapter it will do 5ghz band, just realized mine is only doing 2.4ghz but i don't have wifi probelms since router is next to it, i'm just out of ports :D