Broken PS4 Systems Popping Up

Though the PlayStation 4 won't be released in North America until Friday, some users who have obtained early access to the systems are reporting broken displays. An IGN retail PS4 stopped outputting through the HDMI after the user began downloading Netflix. Kotaku's first retail system also reportedly had a faulty HDMI jack that would not output a signal. Two other users on NeoGAF, who obtained early access to their consoles via a Taco Bell promotion, also reported similar problems with HDMI outputs. Based on reports from at least one user, Sony has been responsive to warranty claims and is shipping a replacement unit. As is the case for all PlayStation hardware, the PS4 is covered by warranty for twelve months.

It's not unusual for the early runs of console hardware to experience trouble. There are nearly limitless relationships between hardware, software, and user behavior. While many of the incompatibilities can be cleared up during testing, the scale of interactions when the console goes public is bound to reveal numerous otherwise unpredictable problems.

IGN has reached out to Sony for comment but has not yet heard back. Users who are experiencing trouble are encouraged to contact Sony support 1-800-345-SONY.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/14/broken-playstation-4-systems

Hope this isn't widespread...

Anyone who thinks a new console will be released in perfect form from day one is kidding themselves. 

Flaws will show up.  The important thing is how wide spread they become and how the company handles them.  First run versions are always suspect, no matter how great you think the build quality is.

Both companies have 1 year warranties, but I would highly suggest anyone buying these two consoles at launch to invest in an extended warranty.  I usually hate to get those things, but if you can get one at a decent price, go for it.  The options from SquareTrade on Amazon are worth a look.

• Like 3

All this wishy washy stance on everything coupled with features that SHOULD be there but just aren't for whatever reason are just reason for me not to even invest in a new gen console.

In fact, the only reason I would possibly even do it at this point is for the social aspect with my local friends.

Oh it doesn't play blu-ray 3d? Build a PC

Oh it doesn't support DLNA? Build a PC

Oh it doesn't support MP3? Build a PC

Oh you want me to spend damn near what it would cost to build a decent rig? Build a PC

I could go on for days..

I mean seriously, I've dealt with RROD, YLOD and all the other crap that goes wrong with these consoles and lackluster features that always are missing that little extra and I've had enough. (Yet I still have a 360 and PS3 sitting collecting dust in my entertainment center).

I actually bought my first PC game the other day in a long time that I intended on playing on my 60" LED TV in the living room, BF4. It runs just fine on my laptop hooked up to the TV [the sad part is the graphics even on my business laptop are better than the 360 version plus 64 player support] but I was holding out to see how it was going to play out on next gen before buying one but after seeing SO MANY news articles about all the issues/features missing, I'm building a new rig. It was what got me into my hobby/profession in the first place, the love for rig building.

My Sony HDD/DVD RW PVR has issues with HDMI too. Go through AV - it works fine. But, use HDMI and expect random freezes.

It's ridiculous that we accept this crap, when are we going to stop? HDMI is not like some random feature list that has been thrown together by the MFG.

I deal with this on a daily basis and hate having to explain to clients that they are going to have to wait on a patch or deal with it until I can figure out a work around because the MFG rushed the damn device out the door instead of doing proper testing (partially the fault of everyone who wants more more more as fast as they can shove it down their throats in as little time as possible and as cheap as possible).

My Sony HDD/DVD RW PVR has issues with HDMI too. Go through AV - it works fine. But, use HDMI and expect random freezes.

PS4 & One only do HDMI... no component or composite this time around

Good lord, whoever could have seen this happening?! :rolleyes:

It's the gamble you take. If you want to be one of the first to have a new console, you're also going to have to accept that there is a higher chance of there being issues. The fact that this happens again and again and again, and people act surprised about it...goodness.

• Like 3

This is why you wait,  and this is why I'm at best getting one system in December (probably XB1 coming from the 360) and the other early next year, feb-april timeframe.   Even by next month I bet they'll be on the 2nd batch on both systems and the quality will be just a tad bit better.

<snipped>

Hard to defend something that breaks like this, unless it was something silly like the cable coming loose then ok but when it dies on you fully then what are you defending exactly?

• Like 2

It's a launch batch of consoles - there's always gonna be problems! Especially since those units probably had pre-release software on them too.

If I remember, the early PS3's suffered with the YLOD, whilst the early Xbox 360s suffered with the RROD. It's part of the price you pay for being an early adopter.

This is why you wait,  and this is why I'm at best getting one system in December (probably XB1 coming from the 360) and the other early next year, feb-april timeframe.   Even by next month I bet they'll be on the 2nd batch on both systems and the quality will be just a tad bit better.

Similar situation here. Currently got one pre-ordered for "sometime before Christmas", which does give me a chance to see how the launch plays out.

Hard to tell how widespread the issues are at the moment. I think around 10-15% would be "normal" for a launch console. Don't want to see levels like the Xbox 360's RROD (45-50% failure rate, IIRC?) with either of the consoles though.

I'm going to be an early adopter of the XB1, really hope MS have learnt from the last release which I think hit them a lot harder than Sony and have come up with some extra load tests etc to make sure this doesn't happen!

I don't understand why people are accepting of this "gamble" mantra when it comes to new hardware releases. Hardware production and yields should be properly understood and catered for with correct quality control on the assembly line. Anything else shows rush to market and incompetency. I'm disappointed that this many are breaking already considering the sheer amount what are in the wild.

If you received a new TV with a dead pixel would you be fine with it?

• Like 1

I don't understand why people are accepting of this "gamble" mantra when it comes to new hardware releases. Hardware production and yields should be properly understood and catered for with correct quality control on the assembly line. Anything else shows rush to market and incompetency. I'm disappointed that this many are breaking already considering the sheer amount what are in the wild.

If you received a new TV with a dead pixel would you be fine with it?

This many?  I've seen reports of 3, maybe I am missing something? Also, the units have a 1 year waranty.  I also plan to buy an extra 2 year warranty w/ accidental to fully cover me for the next 3 years.  If it's going to fail it will likely do so before then, and I will get a replacement for no cost.  Not sure what the issue is.

• Like 2