Watercooling for Xbox One/PS4

I was thinking, would it be better if the console using a watercooling system instead of fans to keep it cool? I would not think it would be a lot more to do. The size would be bigger but you could get higher spec if they do it.

Hello,

I was thinking, would it be better if the console using a watercooling system instead of fans to keep it cool? I would not think it would be a lot more to do. The size would be bigger but you could get higher spec if they do it.

Servicing it, replacing it, and/or people drinking the water just spells expensive....

Sounds like a recipe for disaster, imagine as the consoles age something would eventually start to leak...

By all accounts the console is almost silent and runs nice and cool as it is.

My understanding was that watercooling was for serious overclockers who dealt with extreme amounts of heat. I doubt that is the case in consoles manufactured to particular specifications. Plus, given the heating issues of the last gen, those two companies should have paid close attention to any heat issues. One company in particular.

This is just trying to find a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. The consoles have been designed to run at max CPU and handle the thermal load produced. I'm also sure they have some type of thermal protection built in, in the event of a fan failure.

• Like 1

My understanding was that watercooling was for serious overclockers who dealt with extreme amounts of heat. I doubt that is the case in consoles manufactured to particular specifications. Plus, given the heating issues of the last gen, those two companies should have paid close attention to any heat issues. One company in particular.

Actually watercooling is more about noise than it is overclocking. 

you move the heat away from the CPU and cool it with a big silent fan on a big juicy radiator. and fully integrated watercooling systems for the CPU make them extremely safe and easy to install, no chance of leaking, you can literally throw it around like a nunchuck and it won't leak. 

as it is though, it just complicates the production of a console and makes it more expensive and complicated to produce and consoles should be produced so they'll be silent anyway. most of them use heat pipes anyway which is less efficient system that works similarly to watercooling allowing you to move the heat to a more central area with a bigger cooling surface and fan. 

The cooling issue is completely overblown. There are laptops with smaller form factors and more power than the current consoles and they cool themselves with tiny fans. 

Here's my problem: Watercooling is great, but NOT for everyone.  And this is where enthusiasts lose the plot - the start solving problems that don't exist to push their chosen solution.

The sped/performance of the chips in question is a known variable, and the cooling is (should have been) built around that and so is (should be) perfectly sufficient.

Watercooling would push the cost up, it would push up maintenance, it would push up the likelihood of things going wrong.

Since when? Most people doing watercooling are trying to achieve a higher over-clock and don't care about noise, because they are likely running a dual SLI 780 GTX setup, so the CPU fan is the least of their worries.

Since when? Most people doing watercooling are trying to achieve a higher over-clock and don't care about noise, because they are likely running a dual SLI 780 GTX setup, so the CPU fan is the least of their worries.

There are actually fans capable of outperforming or at least giving similar performance to the integrated watercooling systems and for cheaper. so all the integrated watercooling systems aren't sold to overclockers but to people who want silent computers. overclockers don't really need watercooling either, but the noise level can be pretty unbearable for a high end overclocked system. then again, overclocking serves little purpose today, for the price of overclocking you can buy an i7. games today don't even use i5's to their capacity and won't for the foreseeable future.  so for the money you spend on overclocking gear you could just buy a faster more stable computer.  the only ones who use i7's to the max, are those who use them for workstations, they need stability not overclocks. 

either way the end result is that WC today is generally a noise reduction thing. had you asked 5+ years ago back when watercooling was complicated and required you to put them together yourself. then yes, back then it was an overclocker thing. not so anymore, sure they still use them, but they're outnumbered by those who just want a silent computer today. 

Watercooling would push the cost up, it would push up maintenance, it would push up the likelihood of things going wrong.

Cost and production complexity, yes. maintenance and likelyhood of failure. not so much. 

Really? I thought most of the new fans, the expensive ones, were damn-near silent & very effective at cooling in standard or "mildly" over-clocked rigs.

Not my area of expertise, though, so I am happily corrected :)

There are actually fans capable of outperforming or at least giving similar performance to the integrated watercooling systems and for cheaper. so all the integrated watercooling systems aren't sold to overclockers but to people who want silent computers. overclockers don't really need watercooling either, but the noise level can be pretty unbearable for a high end overclocked system. then again, overclocking serves little purpose today, for the price of overclocking you can buy an i7. games today don't even use i5's to their capacity and won't for the foreseeable future.  so for the money you spend on overclocking gear you could just buy a faster more stable computer.  the only ones who use i7's to the max, are those who use them for workstations, they need stability not overclocks. 

either way the end result is that WC today is generally a noise reduction thing. had you asked 5+ years ago back when watercooling was complicated and required you to put them together yourself. then yes, back then it was an overclocker thing. not so anymore, sure they still use them, but they're outnumbered by those who just want a silent computer today. 

About 10 years ago I did watercooling for silence more than anything else - but the performance side is simply physics - water is a lot more efficient at moving heat away from things.  Cheap pre-made WC will give little tangible benefit over some heatsinks but a 'proper' WC system is far better.   I'm still doing it now and really enjoy building them from scratch.

Replacing a fan: simples

Replacing a watercooling block: less simples

You're not supposed to do either. 

and if you do and it's an integrated system, simples. 

About 10 years ago I did watercooling for silence more than anything else - but the performance side is simply physics - water is a lot more efficient at moving heat away from things.  Cheap pre-made WC will give little tangible benefit over some heatsinks but a 'proper' WC system is far better.   I'm still doing it now and really enjoy building them from scratch.

Yes, for moving it away form the CPU it's better. but the heat is still there in the system, in the end you're still using a fan to get it of of the radiator :)

Either way, the point is, that for a console, it just ads to much cost and complexity in production, you would easily add another 50-100 to the price. 

Hello,

Servicing it, replacing it, and/or people drinking the water just spells expensive....

They have closed loop no-fuss,no-maintenance systems for water cooling.  If they have it for the PC, it could be done for the next gen consoles.  The biggest worry for that is the dust accumulation on the rads.

Yes, for moving it away form the CPU it's better. but the heat is still there in the system, in the end you're still using a fan to get it of of the radiator :)

Either way, the point is, that for a console, it just ads to much cost and complexity in production, you would easily add another 50-100 to the price. 

I've got a huge radiator outside the case with a large surface area (that's another factor) and very slow (large) fans drawing air through it's core - and with water being a excellent heat conductor versus air - it's a godsend for both cooling and quietness (esp. as I've got two 670s and a CPU to cool).   It's rather brilliant too that the heat is being dumped externally - I built it with that in mind.

It's utterly pointless for a console yes - but then the heat that needs to be dissipated in my case is substantively larger and an air solution is stupid loud by comparison.  Whenever I test-bench a new set of cards it drives me nuts having air coolers whine away - I'm just not used to it anymore :)

Would I recommend WC to anyone?   Not really unless it ticks all your boxes - it's expensive (done right), has a steep learning curve, requires lots of planning and swapping things can make your break a sweat to say the least.  My last build took about a months work to finish it end to end and cost a packet.  It's worth it to me but most people can get by with air cooling (which has improved a heck of a lot in recent years).   The up sides as mentioned are much cooler components (the 670's peak at 39C), overclocking headroom, quietness and (frankly) the satisfaction of building something er.. 'cool'  :rofl:

But yes, my XBOne will be 'on air' this Friday  :D

The fully integrated kits you get today work great though, like the H70 and up(though for bigger CPU's you need 90 or 120's for quietness). downside is that fully integrated systems only do the CPU and not the GPU of course. for now anyway. and until GPU's use a standardized cooling system forever... thoguh there are graphics cards sold with built in WC.