Partition Help!

A few weeks ago I started a thread about WinXP and Win98se for dual booting, and someone replied with a cool setup where they had 2 hard drives, each partitioned twice, for a total of 4 partitions. Partition 1 had Win98se, partition 2 had WinXP, partition 3 was the mp3 collection, and partition 4 was where everything was backed up. I liked this setup and I'm about to go buy a second hard drive to try this. However, I've never tried to partition one hd, let alone two. I'm just wondering if I should use any specific software, or if anyone has any tips. Thanks! :)

Use Partition Magic (latest ver) because it is the easiest especially for a newb. It you want to try. You can try fdisk but that is a lame option if you will use NTFS and FAT32 rather than just FAT32.

Forget fdisk, Forget partition magic, use the Linux Mandrake partitioning software, it kicks serious @$$! All you have to do is download the first CD of Mandrake (www.linux-mandrake.org) , go through the setup process until you get up to the partition manager, create your partitions and exit the installation.

If you do have 70$ to spend, then go out and buy Partition Magic. A few of my friends use it and they say it's pretty good. But for your simplistic needs, the Mandrake partition manager will setup your partitions wonderfully.

I too have a dual boot system similar to what you want to do, here's what my layout looks like...

HD1 - 60GB

c:/ Windows 98 - 10GB

d:/ Windows XP - 40GB

Linux Swap - 512MB

/var - 200MB

/boot - 7MB

/(Auto Allocated with /usr) - 9GB

HD2 - 45GB

e:/ MP3 - 20GB

f:/ Backup - 25GB